Dakar 2013 - Official Event Coverage - thank you ALL TeamF5, lurkers and posters!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by doyle, Jan 1, 2013.

1. boundrybasher

boundrybasher Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:

That's quite true... but that's a lot of GPS material to review if so... for all of the moto, auto, quad and truck cmpetitors... to determine who crossed what point and when (what do they do for the competitors who went back a couple of times?).

This could mean a great number of changes to times perhaps?

A big question in my mind is; 1. was the point innacurate (as some suggested?) or just difficult to determine and 2. how was Sainz' GPS functioning when he was at that point?

EDIT: oh... and 3. How does this relate/pan out for the MOTO's... there were a lot of bikes running around looking for the same point... no?
  3. dox

dox How much for the ape?

Oddometer:
    Two days out of town, six hours of reading and I've finally caught the tail of the snowball. :huh First year I haven't been at DSS with everyone else, I feel like I'm still catching up.

Some $ sent for Manny, some great writing by Ned, some excellent analysis by Neil and Troy. Lots of great contribution by the F5orce. If you can't be in the Bivouac, there's no better source of information than the folks we've got right here.

Thanks. Looking forward to another great Dakar.

See everyone tomorrow after the firehose hangover has worn off a bit. :bueller
  4. Clancy

Clancy Long timer

Oddometer:

And let's face it, it wouldn't be the first time that El Rollador has won an appeal/argument purely by weight of personality
  5. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    just stay on the f5irehose and avoid the hangover till the event is over!!!
  6. VRRR1

VRRR1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    - I do not know the answers 1 or 2 ? However it would be each competitor to prove he must get his time back(protest) - Which Carlos successfully did . With GPS data each competitor has the ammo to prove 2 and 1 ?
  7. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:

Well yeah... there's that too... :lol3
  8. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:

If there is an innacuracy in the roadbook, the onus is on the organization to administer a solution equitably to all competitors (ie: each competitor need not protest), if it was a problem with an individuals GPS (not something common to all competitors) YES, then it is the responsibility of EACH competitor to plead their case - as Sainz did.

hence my question as to what the situation is regards points 1 & 2.

If number 1, the ASO has to review ALL cases... if number 2. its is on a case by case basis... and Sainz has had his case looked at and upheld it seems.
  9. Bicycle Phil

Bicycle Phil Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    MannyMoney on the way!

Bummed for Kevin....heal quickly bro

Looks like RMSDave will have time to lend a hand to the Malle moto contingent....!!!

F5ers RallyOn!!
  10. homerj

homerj 742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer:
    I seem to remember Sainz either is/was an attorney, or was very close to becoming one before he decided on rally. I bet he's not easy to argue with.
  11. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    For sure, he (or at least his team(s) managers) had some doozies with the FIA jury back in his Ford (Sierra) and Toyota TTE (Celica/Corolla) days in the WRC... :wink:
  12. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    I spoke with Juan Carlos Salvatierra (@chavo_mx1) this evening. He was moving well early in the stage up to 14th at WP3 and then lost the stator and spent an hour and a half in the dunes changing it out but lives to fight on another day. Naturally he is massively disappointed especially as he had the same problem in Sardegna. His team mate Eduardo Heinrich stopped to help him as I believe did Johnny Campbell. His spirits sound good and I assured him we were pulling for him.

For those that don't know, Chavo is an inmate here riding a Honda (#50) for Team Honda Europe.
  13. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    and how long was spent looking for it also?
  14. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    And that is exactly what put Sam out on day 2 last year (and 1 on the liason also!) - something seriously wrong with that bike set up?:eek1

Sam has his last years 450 Dakar X here in Dubai for training and has changed the battery - a bit of heath robinson solution as its much bigger - but no problems since - oh he did that after the stator went again!

Something to do with the electrical compatability - but vehicle electrics not one of my strong points beyond battery and fuse changes :rofl
  15. Aussie66

Aussie66 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some people love em some people hate em.

I have used Super B batteries (nice and small) in the past on my Husky but that lasted three melted batteries before i stopped trying. I reckon they are great for enduro but less suitable where you need electrics to run the show.

just my 2 cents worth.
  16. Aussie66

Aussie66 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Too Old , you ride bikes ?
  17. fetid_swamp

fetid_swamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i'm also hoping 127 makes the finish and not last.
    hiding behind those USDs and underneath all those tanks is a poor old XR400.
    woo hoo. talk about dakar spirit!

[​IMG]
  18. Aussie66

Aussie66 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got one of these lying around if dirt bikes is not your thing :D

Attached Files:

19. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
    Did someone get the rest of this sequence on Eurosport?

[​IMG]

It was over quick, but I think I saw the two Honda riders sitting all the way back in super pursuit mode and a few seconds later a KTM passed them with the rider sitting up. :lol3

Maybe they were already in fuel preservation mode?
  20. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    G'morning everyone!

-coffee-

probably the best description of being caught in the "rally bubble" I've read. Even on the smaller, 5 -7 day stuff I have raced, that's exactly what I was trying to explain to friends. The "racing" continued way after the riding ended, I found myself trying to minimize any time wasted, any superfluous effort, trying to plan every little detail as efficiently as possible, to combine tasks - your mind never stops working on how to be as time efficient as possible. Loved every second of it. I'll second the book thought Ned, either that or a blog :clap