Northwest CT dirt road mapping quest

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by btao, Jul 17, 2013.

1. btao

btao Adventure is out there!

Oddometer:
    So, it's been a little slow at work lately, so I had a little time to put together a map of all the dirt roads in the northwest quadrant of the state. To say it's tedious, time consuming, pain in the balls, is well, spot on......

But alas, I couldn't let all that time go to waste, so here's a screen cap for ya:

[​IMG]

Yea, there really is that many, and they are all public roads.....:eek1

So, here's the deal :deal You PM me, get the download of the map, and with a little teamwork, let's try to make some sense and play connect the dots, so to speak and get some coherent routes out of it. Point to point, loops, whatever. A little variety is nice...

If you ask nice, I'll point you to the original maps they came from, which some may have already found... They're free, super acurate, and provided by your tax dollars! (but you can't do squat with them other than print em)

I have all the published dirt roads for NY too, so if there's any counties you're interested in and want those roads mapped or listed, let me know!

I haven't found any base maps for Google yet that include state forest roads to identify, so if you have any lines on those, please send them over and I'll include those in version 2.0

cheers,
    btao
    ThirtyOne likes this.
  2. rider257

rider257 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would be interested in laying down some tracks and sharing them just started digging into some nice stuff in the north west by new cannan and Salisbury. Also if you have Columbia county NY that would nice. Pm with the maps if you could
    ThirtyOne likes this.
  3. Kainic

Kainic Almost there

Oddometer:
    Just sent you a PM. Located in S.CT.
  4. Boianovich

Boianovich Old and Cautious

Oddometer:
    I rode a 50 mile (mostly dirt) track from Washington to Housatonic state forest that worked out awesome, river Rd to Skiff MT was ripping fun. And was able to explore a couple side roads in Housy. till the rain rolled in. You have a fantastic back yard and would love to explore it more. May hang out and camp Saturday night in that neck of the woods...

PM me if you're interested in the Washington to Housy track

5. rider257

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] these roads here are Washington mtn and west road great stuff super pretty sorry for the delay in sharing
    ThirtyOne likes this.
  6. AndytheElder

AndytheElder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Were you able to ride that road over the mountain all the way through? I was up there earlier in the summer and ran into Jersey barriers blocking the road in the vicinity of the state line. Lots of parked cars in the area from hikers doing the trails.
  7. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode that area 3 years ago and there were barriers blocking the road at the state line at that time.

Looked like a permanent closure to me!
    Cattledog1969 likes this.
  8. AndytheElder

AndytheElder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Took advantage of the great weather today and tried my hand at stringing together as much gravel road as I could to get across the state from south to north. I came up with a 100 mile ride that starts near Southford Falls in Oxford and ends at RT 183 where it crosses the south end of the TMT. If anyone is interested, I'll post my tracks of the ride once I have a chance to clean them up.

Attached Files:

Somefun and ThirtyOne like this.
  9. btao

Oddometer:
    That looks fantastic Andy! I'd be interested in the GPX when you're done with it.

-Andy
  10. AndytheElder

AndytheElder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here it is. Check this out on your computer before trying it since this is the first .gpx file I have uploaded. All the gravel roads are town roads that are maintained to some degree (most very well).

The most interesting bits (for me) were N. Kent Rd which climbs off River Rd in Kent to Skiff Mt Rd. Road goes up hill with numerous water bars to jump or roll over depending on your speed.

The other bit was Mt Easter Rd which climbs over to Rt 7 after you leave Sharon. Its a bona fide double track. All in all, its a nice ride with no "hero" sections.

Attached Files:

Brutalguyracing and ThirtyOne like this.
  11. btao

Oddometer:
    Looks great, loaded up fine. Can't wait to test it out!

Has anyone tried the loop I put together yet? I don't remember who has it. Holler if you want it. Couple of hours just to the right of your route Andy.
  12. AndytheElder

AndytheElder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Point me to where I can get it and I'd love to ride it!
  13. btao

Oddometer:
    Just shoot me a pm with your email and you'll have it pronto :)

sent from my portable multipurpose communicator
  14. AndytheElder

AndytheElder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  15. btao

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... I see nothing yet :hmmmmm
  16. btao

Oddometer:
    Found some more great local trails around Oxford yesterday. By local I mean mostly private. See Boinoodle for details.

I was hoping to check out that new route this weekend weather and time permitting. Which, they may not. Probably time, but maybe in the afternoon on sunday if anyone is interested in going. Or if less time permits, maybe do the local loop of mine that I haven't done in a month. Going to be pretty for the dirt road rides if there's any leaves left on the trees.
  17. rider257

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed the tracks you posted thanks, Did a good middle portion of it yesterday. And yea N. Kent was interesting / challenging for me. Those water bars definitely added another element to the ride, as did the leaving completely covering the road.

Great route thanks again.
  18. AndytheElder

AndytheElder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad you liked it. Pavement or dirt, thats a nice area for a ride.
  19. TT72

TT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys no a lot of dirt roads .i will try to go this Sunday afternoon around kent try to explore some roads that .
  20. Undercover Poe

Undercover Poe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did Oxford to New Milford on this route today. It was a great day for riding. Can't wait to ride the rest