Coocase V35/V37 and Twisted Throttle (Review)

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by dugkim, Feb 24, 2014.

1. dugkim

dugkim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hopefully, this is the correct place to post product and reseller review information. I wanted to advise my fellow inmates regarding an experience I've had with the above-mentioned topcase and following customer service. This post is for your information so that you can properly weigh your purchasing decisions in the future.

In may of 2011, I purchased a Coocase topcase and related adapter plates from Twisted Throttle for my 2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio. I had prior positive experiences purchasing items from Twisted Throttle. By July, 2011, I had two issues develop with the Coocase quality: 1) the electrical connection for the integrated brake lights failed almost immediately and 2) the bottom tabs that keep the front of the case attached to the mounting plate had sheared off. This was so puzzling because the bike had never been laid down and I hadn't been on any difficult terrain to otherwise abuse the case. I do often ride with my wife in the pillion position and wondered if for some reason this "pressure" had cause the issue. Regardless, they offered a backrest for this topcase, which I had also purchased for this application.

At that time, Twisted Throttle honored my warranty and replaced the case, sending me out a new case. Great experience and the right thing to do. Fast forward 2.5 yrs and I've had these tabs shear off again. This time with almost no use whatsoever. Because of work, I've barely ridden at all in this timeframe, but had another recent dual-sport ride of combination tarmac and gravel roads and I returned to find the tabs sheared off again.

I called Twisted Throttle and they informed me that they have discontinued carrying Coocase because "they haven't lived up to their end of quality backing of their product". I asked for them to apply the $ I was out toward another product in their catalog - one that had solid reviews. I was prepared to pay the difference if there was an increase in cost to go to a quality product. I was told that because of the time passed, they would not honor my request. Instead they offered me a 10% discount on the purchase of the new topbox and required adapter plate. I chose instead to take my business elsewhere and advise others that Twisted Throttle may not back your purchase of their products.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I'm careful, meticulous and take great care of my equipment. Disappointing. Back to SW-Motech, Wunderlich and Touratech, gladly.
  2. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    It is not.
  3. CheapB

CheapB Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    actually sounds like some good customer service, your purchase was over 2 yrs ago, did you actually expect a full refund? :hmmmmm
  4. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
    +1. They replaced the first one under warranty, and you're mad they didn't replace it a 2nd time 2 years out of warranty? Sheesh.
  5. dugkim

dugkim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I did. You in the habit of buying $300 topcases every two years, are you?
  6. HighFructose

HighFructose Banned

Oddometer:
    2 years old but you still got a 10% coupon? sounds to good to be true, so send me the discount code and ill verify the coupon for you
  7. Lucky_Devil

Lucky_Devil Master Lurker

Oddometer:
    Perhaps try contacting Coocase directly instead of Twisted Throttle.

I would not expect the retailer to warranty this case after 2 years, even with a "little to no use" claim (I've seen some stuff returned as "unused" that looked like it had been through hell), especially if they are no longer carrying the product.

I'll take that 10% coupon if you're not gonna use it :deal
  8. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    GIVI will fix, replace or send you replacement parts for life.

I've called and emailed wanting to PURCHASE replacement parts, they just sent them to me.

I had an unreplaceable part break and asked if I could purchase just a base, since I saw a parts diagram with breakdowns and part numbers.

They instead asked for my address, I expected a base, I got a new case in the mail, updated model.

Since coocase is a direct competitor to GIVI, they should offer a similar warranty, otherwise buying a higher priced case because it has some lights and and stuff is ridiculous.

Have a mounting tab sheer off is a sign of a poor product, plain and simple.

To the op, I'd post this in the twisted throttle thread in the vendor section
  9. Lucky_Devil

Oddometer:
    I've also had outstanding service from Givi.... but I contacted Givi, not the retailer.... especially after a couple years post installation. He needs to be in contact with Coocase.

I fail to see why this unfortunate situation should reflect poorly on Twisted Throttle. They replaced the original case after only a few months of ownership, but two years later is no longer their problem.

As far as I'm concerned, TT has done the right thing three times here. 1) They warrantied his first case, 2) They offered a 10% discount on another purchase, & 3) They stopped carrying this brand because of quality issues, protecting their customers from shoddy products.
  10. CheapB

CheapB Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ agreed, that's why I said it actually sounds like some good customer service to me. And offered 10% on his next purchase!
  11. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
  12. Lucky_Devil

Oddometer:
    Edited my previous post, you're right... they also offered a discount.
  13. Lucky_Devil

Oddometer:
  14. dugkim

dugkim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1) I feel justified in my complaint because this is the same problem both times (broken tabs). Clearly this is a design problem that should be addressed, no matter the time.

2) I was told by the first respondent that I had posted this in the wrong section. I also don't know how to delete a thread. It was not my intention to have this in more than one thread.

3) I have contacted Coocase through their website and will update if I receive any relief.