Would you buy your bike again?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by CafeRacer99, May 3, 2012.

1. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    78 Honda Goldwing - Heavy, comfortable, good for long highway trips or leisurely sight-seeing cruises. Full Vetter setup. Not so great for small trips around town, or lane splitting. Not all that easy to work on.

Would I buy it again? Maybe/Probably. With all the money that I've put into it so far, it's almost a new bike without the price tag of a new Wing.

73 Harley Sportster - Fairly light and nimble, great for in town. Splits lanes great. Fun to ride. Easy to work on. Will do highway trips with no problems.

Would I buy it again? Yes! This is the second one that I've owned.

65 Honda Trail 90 - Built from parts with a Lifan 140cc engine. Very light and nimble. Easy to pick up if it falls. More than enough power for single track, and easy to take down narrow trails. Climbs great. Enough power for road use in town, and very maneuverable in traffic. Very easy to work on. A lot of fun.

Would I buy it again? Sure!

90's model Motorized Schwinn Frontier Mountain Bike - Just a lot of fun to play with, but I won't be taking it on any RTW trips any time soon!

Yes, just for the fun factor!

If I could only have one bike, I'd have to pick the Sportster as a good all-around bike for highway, in town and off road riding.

2. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    DL650, and yes, I'm on my third Strom...I foresee myself getting another after this one. It's not the most exciting bike but it's just so damn capable. For my commute it is just about perfect.
  3. CafeRacer99

CafeRacer99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tell myself the same thing about this Super Tenere that I've just bought, that I'm going to keep it for 10 years and put 100K miles on it.

But I've never owned a car that long or put 100K miles on one, lol. I don't see how I could do it with a bike. I like the change. In fact I've never lived anywhere for 10 years either. The longest I've lived in one city was 7 years.

But what the hell, nothing wrong with having a goal!
  4. McB

McB Long timer

Oddometer:

Same here. Two '05s and an '08. I'd buy another. Or not. The last one came down to being the best deal for the money I had at the time I was ready to buy.
  5. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    '09 KLR650. No way in hell. Talk about a throw away zero value bottom of the parts bin POS. If I were in that market segment again, I would go with a DR650.

Current beast is an R1200GS. Even tho it's obscenely expensive and probably too much money to justifiably spend on a motorcycle, I would without hesitation do it again in a heartbeat!
  6. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had both a KLR650 and a DR650, I don't consider the DR650 superior. I put 20k trouble free miles on my KLR.
  7. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    2011 Ducati Multistrada Touring

Nope
  8. Surfinpig

Surfinpig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    04 fxdwg, 09 klr650, yes and yes
  9. tuckerman

tuckerman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    '08 KLR, not a chance. Within 6k it started drinking oil like it's what it ran on.

'09 DL 650, probably. It's hard to argue with what it can do and it runs like a top. I keep telling myself I'll trade it in on a sexy GSA, which I almost did this spring. When I ask myself why, it's hard to come up with an answer.
  10. BeerIsGood

BeerIsGood Guest

2012 DL650. Yes. I love it.
  11. Rsquared

Rsquared Un-Supervised Slacker

Oddometer:
    Interesting thread. I&#8217;ve been riding for over 40 years, dirt, touring, and sport bikes. For me, the true test of a motorcycle is after you get off, does it make you say &#8220;What a Hoot&#8221;... If not, time to move along.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    My current rides all have an orange lineage for that reason, and one of my favorites is the 990 Adventure. Would I buy it again, Oh Yes&#8230;<o:p></o:p>
  12. CafeRacer99

Oddometer:
    Really? Care to elaborate?
  13. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    While there is certainly lots to love about the MS my peeves are it's just about impossible to do your own valve services, I'm not the kind of guy that likes to let others work on my bikes.

The electronic trickery is too much (my suspension failed when changing modes) to be fair it was under warranty and it just required a reflash of the ECU but in years to come I don't ever want to shell out what it will require to replace any of those components let alone trouble shoot them.

I am perfectly capable of adjusting my own suspension like we did in days of yore, also I really don't need to dial down my horsepower (god gave me a wrist for this) it's the self restraint thats the hard part :evil

My next bike will be something more back to basics like a R1200R with no computers after they liquid cool the heads and get the HP up over 120.
  14. CafeRacer99

Oddometer:

Ah, yeah I hear you. My wife fell in love with and bought a Ducati Sport Classic. It's a beautiful bike, fun to ride, sounded great with the open clutch and aftermarket pipes, but...

Expensive, and touchy. It came with a closed ECU, so no fiddling with it to set up the new pipes. You could buy the $1K "race" ECU... and on and on.

So that bike is gone. I would buy it again, if money were no object.
  15. bigskydrift

bigskydrift dual sport hooligan

Oddometer:
    only 380 miles on it so far but I absolutely love my new 2012 vstrom DL 650 Adventure, can't wait to head out on a several day road trip and also interested to see what I have when I can start increasing my post break-in RPM's.....
  16. Bikebits

Bikebits Scramblin' man

Oddometer:
    I'd buy either of them again in a heartbeat. Plan on keeping both for a long time.

[​IMG]
  17. ezrdr55

ezrdr55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definitely.:clap I've had a lot of bikes over the last 50 years, but this little bike does everything I need: I commute everyday (if it's not snowing), I tour on it weeks at a time (back to back 1000 mile days when it's necessary to just git home) and off-road stuff the Alpine Loop and Black Bear in Colorado are easily doable. I travel solo much of the time spend a lot of time primitive camping off this bike up in the mountains and it's nice to be able to rely on it to get me there and back home.
  18. dustoffdax

dustoffdax Adventurer

Oddometer:
    93 Honda VFR -- Yes, Great bike.

95 Triumph Thunderbird -- Yes, Great motor

00 HD Road King -- No, heavy and slow

03 Yamaha V-Max -- HELL YEA!! just don't try and turn it

07 KLR -- Yes, cheap and easy to ride around town

11 Husky TE310 -- Yes, unless I kill myself on it!
  19. Ramv

Ramv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As far as my beasts go:

'10 Multi 1200 -- Probably not. Just too many small things, and not very exciting. I think in making it appeal to all, Ducati lost a lot of character. Resonably fast but just bland. Local dealership is a big part of why I wouldn't buy another as well. Electronics and rear brake are annoying. Cushy 2-up tourer though, (if you can get the luggage to work/stay on). Of course at the time, the choice was pretty much it or the much spendier BMW. Now with the Super T and Tiger 800/1200, I think there are better options at the same price point. That being said, I will probably keep it since there is so much depreciation on it. 11500 miles with no break downs other then a flat tire. (Lots of repairs at the service intervals though).

'07 Super Enduro -- Yep. Awesome so far. Only had it for a few months. My favorite of all time to just take out of the garage. The smile is there before I get down 30' of driveway. Will see if the maintenance is a downside but so far it works really nice.

'02 Super Hawk -- Yep. Great value, best ownership experience of any bike I've had. Wish i kept it for a track bike.
  20. BudCAD

BudCAD Zen Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    '05 DL650 V-Strom. I think I would if my riding stays the same (commuting mostly 2 lane country road, some highway), although I am itching to try something bigger and more powerful. Someone said boring... I think that's what I may be getting...