KLR250 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bad Company, May 10, 2008.

1. gasolinetom

gasolinetom Mechanic

Oddometer:
    kickstand was broke off. tabs ripped off of frame. by a drunk driver backing into the klr250 at slow parking speed. i tried welding it on, but it just bent the weld. so im looking at bolting and then weldig this on

http://www.flyncycle.com/kickstand-motorcycle-universal-motocross-motox-stand.html

please tell me what yall think.
    also i must re true my wheel, not badly out of true, but enough to notice a difference at highway speeds.
  2. DrMoto

DrMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got a couple of 1.5W lights from superbrightleds.com (PLM series) and wired up today. Mounted to radiator supports. Not a bad result for a total investment of about $15. We'll see how they hold up. They look a bit yellow from off-axis; more white head-on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. toddzacker

toddzacker Just the Shame

Oddometer:
    Would like some help with mods for the 2000 KLR250...I saw someone had a cobra exhaust for it, can someone let me know who that was or help find the link to it? Here are the questions I had:

1) recommended exhausts
    2) jetting ... Main & pilot also needle settings
    3) valve clearances

This should be a good start for the winter mods. I am considering rebuilding the top end if the compression test is a little low. The bike has 8500 miles on it, not sure how long would be recommended before a top end refresh.

Any suggestions & comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
  4. Voidrider

Voidrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848837

My project bike is taking a back burner to other projects, so I think I am going to have to hold off about thinking about getting this exhaust myself.
  5. newcastleadam

newcastleadam Artful Tagger

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have pics of the two rear axle spacers? Either mislaid one or it never came with the project bike, need to determine which.

Thanks!
  6. DrMoto

DrMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [/QUOTE=toddzacker;20356938]Would like some help with mods for the 2000 KLR250...I saw someone had a cobra exhaust for it, can someone let me know who that was or help find the link to it? Here are the questions I had:

1) recommended exhausts
    2) jetting ... Main & pilot also needle settings
    3) valve clearances

This should be a good start for the winter mods. I am considering rebuilding the top end if the compression test is a little low. The bike has 8500 miles on it, not sure how long would be recommended before a top end refresh.

Any suggestions & comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,[/QUOTE]

I have the same bike. 7500 miles (2/3 of them mine), starts easily, never burned a drop of oil, runs great and gives 65-70 MPG. So I can't tell you how long till a rebuild but I am guessing it is a long way off. I did change main jet from 118 to 120, and backed out idle air screw a bit. Stock exhaust and air box. I would upgrade rear shock before messing with motor.

You need two manuals. One for klr600, and supplement for klr250.
  7. toddzacker

toddzacker Just the Shame

Oddometer:
    Thanks- already started messing with the suspension, front & rear. I have a 130 lbs rider on it so not as much work needed as for a heavier rider. I also have both manuals & just figured I would reach out to this group for recommendations on things that work or didn't work.

I think I have found some good ideas, but keep them coming & I will give updates on what I feel worked best.
  8. HandKPhil

HandKPhil An American Portuguese Explorer

Oddometer:
    I've done the following mods to both my '03 and '05 KLR250s, and have had excellent results:

#38 Pilot

#122 Main

FMF Q4 Muffler

Drilled four 1/2" holes in the top of my airbox.

I bought OEM jets from jetsrus.com (genuine Keihin)

If your bike runs well and is easy to start, you don't need to "freshen up" the top end. My '03 has 27,000 miles on it and it has never needed top end attention.

9. redneckdan

redneckdan Hold my beer & watch this

Oddometer:
    I just got done rebuilding the forks on my wifes 250. For future record the damper rods use a 9/16" nut as a holder tool, the klr650 uses a 5/8" nut. I was bale to find the 650 info on the internet but not for the 250. I had to jamb a piece of 1x1 down the damper and use the air impact to spin the bolt out.

klr650 damper rod holer 5/8" nut

klr250 damper rod holder 9/16" nut
  10. dfye55

dfye55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. newcastleadam

Oddometer:
    For the KLR250 damper rod you can also use the back of a 13/16" spark plug socket (also the Super Sherpa).
  12. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The "ears" of the Utah Sport Cycle/Richochet (I think they're the same) bash plate do a good job of protecting the water pump housing and plumbing, in my experience:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hogged out the oil drain hole for better flow path, avoiding bash plate when draining oil.
  13. dfye55

dfye55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love the rocks eye view, thx

Sent from mobile
  14. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're most welcome!

TCI makes good products; I think I may have one of their stone guards:

[​IMG]

I notice the Utah Sport Cycle/Richochet guard sells for $ 84.95; the TCI number for $ 224.95 (on sale); your bike, your call! IMHO, either product would be o.k; your preference and pocketbook remain key in your decision.
  15. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I installed a Ricochet brand bash plate on mine (after I stoved in the case). It works better than expected because so far I have zero crashes on it. I have dragged it over several logs and rocks though.

I did takes steps to mitigate the ringing noise that reflects off the plate back up at me. I cut some auto heater hose and wrapped it around the frame where the bash plate might touch it
  16. skypilot

skypilot NOTHING beats a fresh set of knobs

Oddometer:
    I have had a Ricochet plate on my 08 KLR650 since it was a few months old. I have landed on it hard enough to destroy the engine several times. Works great still although it could use a hammer and a flat bit of pavement to flatten it out. Best money I ever spent

17. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am copying you shamelessly. I bought these for my KLR because I saw your post.

First surprise: superbrightleds.com charges only $2.99 shipping on $11.90 of product. This is great in an era of deceptively low prices and huge shipping charges.

Second surprise: The housings are aluminum. I don't know what waterproofness standard IP65 is, but I'll take a dip.

The light is bright and wide. The cone of white light is about 90-degrees (45-degrees each side of cenerline) then there's a narrow but distinct yellow halo around the edge. Your photo above is of this halo.

I'm even going to copy your mounting location although I'm handicapped by having only the 650 KLR.:shog (I found your post by kinda thinking that a 250 would be nice.)
  18. newcastleadam

Oddometer:
    Still putting together my as yet non-running 250 and a friend noticed two tapped holes on the swingarm. He convinced me I should put a mudguard there, and we fabbed one up.

[​IMG]

Although it is Euro-spec (Belgian), seems to fit well :D
  19. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice mud guard. What's left to make the bike run?

I'll likely be flying over Gainesville this week on my way to St Pete. If you see a minimalist (2 seat) plane fly over, it's me.:lol3
  20. newcastleadam

Oddometer:
    Dude, most of the planes out of and into Gville have rubber bands :D

Turning into a medium-term project, hoping the end is in sight. Newest issue is the low compression. Needs a ring job, dug into it more and the piston is a 1 over (0.5mm) plus an icky cylinder and valves. Going to take the piston and cylinder to a machine shop and get them spec'd, then either go with new rings or a 1.0mm over piston.

It's fun getting a project bike that's been through 3 hands of "experts"; missing pieces, bits that are in the wrong places, and stuff that's plain wrong. Then there's the natural decay of a bike that remembers when the Mets won the series :evil