2 Texans to Alaska (and back)...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by jglow, Mar 14, 2011.

1. wee_V_in_Calgary

wee_V_in_Calgary Adventurer

Oddometer:
    AWESOME Is all I can say.... I have also been to Crater Lake and agree on the beauty of it.....

2. doogiepooch

doogiepooch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just stumbled across this ride report and I have to say, it's probably one of the best, if not the best, I've read on this site. I actually found myself not wanting the reading and photos to end as you were getting closer to home. No super modified bike, no super expensive trick farkles and 2 regular folks that didn't have to be able to rebuild the bike with a toothpick on the side of the road to be able to make it to Alaska and back.

I do have one question though......what kind of jobs do you have that allow you to take off 35 days :rofl
  3. jglow

jglow Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer:

Hey, thanks! That was the message I wanted the report to have - We are just regular people, not sponsored by Touratech, and generally have little idea what we are actually undertaking. This all helps to keep stress and expectations low :lol3.

As far as jobs for allowing us to do these trips... I am self employed. I own a small company, and we do industrial painting. And for Nikki... During the Alaska trip she was finishing her last year of college for her Elementary Education Degree, and if our funding of schools around here in Texas ever gets good again, she might actually be a teacher one day :cry - which would still allow her summers off so we can continue our Epic trip tradition.

Jordan
  4. axlebear

axlebear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the RR. Enjoyed it!
  5. Wandering Nomad

Wandering Nomad Obsessive Traveller

Oddometer:
    I've been reading this atr work during slow periods and lunch.
    I have to tell you it is one the best on the forum.
    Thanks for the pictures and the tale.
    I really have enjoyed it. :clap

Lewis
  6. skdvr

skdvr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, I just came across this while at work. Next thing I know 2 hours have passed. Going to get back to work now, and catch up on the rest of the report later. Thanks for such an awesome RR!
  7. ajklik

ajklik NS-alaska-NS

Oddometer:
    thnks for your wonderfull story and pictures
    did my preparation, shipping my tiger1050 next year from the netherlands to halifax and go to anchorage and back to halifax. Always nice to see same experiences to light my fire
    albert
  8. oldswimr

oldswimr Flatlander

Oddometer:
    I lived in SE Alaska for some years, utilizing the Ferry System frequently. Some of the best times were spent just getting off in the villages like Tenakee or Hoonah, and hanging out a day or two. You have to have loose expectations as far as what your experience will be. That part of Alaska is like no other place I have ever lived, and I've been a lot of places. Great report, very enjoyable.
  9. Bluecomet

Bluecomet What, me worry?

Oddometer:
    Thanks a million for your excellent ride report with the many super pictures. I know that you both have a life time of memories and your relationship will be stronger from the experience.

On a personal note, I recently had surgery and was really bummed that I had yet another day to spend laying around......however, I spent the whole afternoon soaking up your ride report and actually enjoyed the afternoon in bed (alone). :clap

I know that a report like this took a ton of time and we all greatly appreciate your willingness to allow us to tag along!
  10. brfinley

brfinley Brooster Supporter

Oddometer:
    FYI, These pictures are in the area of Two Dot Ranch, north of Cody. My grandfather owned it for a few years in the 1920's. My mother spent some summers there when she was little. Who knows maybe I would have too if the family had kept it. It is a beautiful place right up against the Absaroka Mountains and Yellowstone Park. Earnest Hemingway spent several summers in a cabin on Two Dot Ranch a little north of this spot in the 1920s and 30s.

11. ipaqpoweruser

ipaqpoweruser Enjoy the Ride

Oddometer:
    Fantastic trip and great story. Thanks for sharing. :clap

JL
  12. MiloBramble

MiloBramble Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bought a 2005 Wee Strom. Nice to see what these bikes are capable of..
  13. jglow

jglow Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the nice comments :clap. I love when this thread pops back up from time to time - makes me wish we were back doing it again! I hope this Ride Report inspires y'all to do a big Alaska ride (or anywhere!). Remember, you get to Alaska same as anywhere else - One day at a time!

BTW... I am still rockin' the V-Strom 650. I sent off the suspension last winter/early spring to Sasquatch and had him re-work it. The bike is better than ever, and ready to do something big this summer :evil. We'll see...

[​IMG]

Jordan
  14. mart´n

mart´n Viking

Oddometer:
    Amazing r.r - thanks for taking the time to write it.

I know you must have spend several hours in front of the screen to produce something like this!
    Like other inmates have said, this was like reading a really good book, that you don´t ever want to end:(:

I hope to be able to ship my v-strom to the states one day, and drive all across the u.s and finishing up in alaska - dreams dreams dreams:D

Thanks again and stay safe!

Greetings from Denmark

(red v-strom owner too :D)
  15. arkansas adv

arkansas adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nice to see a couple a little closer to our age riding :clap I was beginning to think you were supposed to be well over 40 to do this kind of riding :norton

Loved the RR. Glad it popped back up or I would have never found it.

Im in central AR. PM me in yall ever get up this way and need a place to crash and some warm food :freaky

Im attempting to save the money for a similar trip. I want to see Alaska by bike but my wife says no Alaska. She is afraid of bears and skeeters.:eek1 We definably want to see the red woods and east coast while we are gone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here I am following her with the GoPro on the Arkansas 500 ride. Yall should come on up for it in April 2013 and join us. 3 days and 500 miles or Arkansas back roads. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740055&page=18

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SteGZd8Bvbw" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>
  16. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    I really like the simplicity and humor that characterizes your narrative style - and it's great with all the pictures.

My girlfriend and I came back from a 1 month/7000 miles roadtrip in the western part of the US a few weeks ago, and have been many of the same places that you guys have, which make reading your RR even more interesting.

NB. I like your choice of bikes :wink:
  17. Old Codger

Old Codger Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is really a 10 star ride report :clap Thanks for taking us along on your Adventure.....:D
  18. TeacherDan

TeacherDan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Reading all I can about other's adventures to Alaska in preparation for mine!

Great report!
  19. orbiker

orbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Read mine.
  20. DocAxeYarYar

DocAxeYarYar RideDualSport.com

Oddometer:
    Awesome stuff congrats on such a big accomplishment!

Im new owner of a 650 VStrom and your RR proves its totally capable of such a huge adventure two up!