LC4 exhaust info

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    So my SXC Supermoto pipe has been eating packing. From the factory the noise level was just what I wanted. Then the packing burned out after 15 months. That wasn't a surprise, so I picked up some repack from FMF and repacked it.

Lasted 6 hours. Okay, we'll try some different material. Get some Moose packing.

Lasted 3 hours. Starting to get pissed. Get some other Moose packing, the yarn stuff that comes in a kevlar bag. Seeing as how the oem material was a yarn, figured that should do it.

Lasted 8 hours. Phucke :baldy The oem packing is not sold. Closest stuff is for the 625? pipe, but very expensive. Like $100 expensive. While I was overseas, got some from a local shop for $60. Good deal. :thumb Repacked it yesterday, and fired it up.

Noisier than the burnt out shit I just removed!!! :baldy :baldy :baldy :baldy

WTF do you have to do to get the stock packing???? Blow the CEO? In light of my problems, I will endeavour to never again buy a can that has packing. It's just not worth the effort.

And all those repack jobs? The first was done at my place, just prior to going to the Hoedang/BYOB. The rest were on the road. Joy

Anyone else have suggestions on how to repack this cocksucker so it'll work properly?
  2. DJMARLEY

DJMARLEY Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    When you repacked did you stuff as much as possible in there. I mean to the point where it's very difficult to get back in? Sometimes it's just not the material, ie. how tight of a packing?
  3. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    Exhaust leak? Backfireing? booth can eat packing.
    I use the moose and its been about six months and had the core out a couple weeks ago for some more baffle work and 90% of the packing was still their.
    Just the inlet were I have a leak was a little burnt up.
    Did you try Noodles (can't think of the name but) some German manufacture makes hollow fibre noodles that are supposed to last longer and dampen better.
  4. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Packed her tight, and used them "noodle" things, which I think is what I'm calling yarn.

Good pipe otherwise, but unless I can solve this problem then it's history.
  5. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Have you tried the Silent Sport packing... or was that the Moose stuff in the sleeve? Stupid question but gotta ask, you have been getting the 4-stroke stuff right?
  6. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Yup, using the 4T stuff in all cases. Tried 2 kinds from Moose, no results worth noting cept that I have to repack it again after a day! Getting kinda expensive, ya know?

Getting tempted to make my own baffle within this can, eliminating the need for packing. Got the can as a trade for some BMW parts, so I'm not too worried about chopping it up.
  7. bibendum

bibendum n00b

Oddometer:
    Guys,

I'm planning to install a Akrapovic slip on exhaust on my '04 640 Adventure.
    The guys at KTM-Sommer tell me that to get max performance from the exhaust, I also need to get the free flow airbox cover, change the main jet to a bigger one and reduce the size of the air idle jet(?).

I was talking to the guy over the phone so I'm not sure if I understood him right since I don't speak German and his English wasn't 100%.

So I decided to email them instead....

This is what they said with regards to the jet:
    "to win any/further torque and hp both steps have to be used with the jetting
    kit for bst 40 (about 38 ?) plus deactivating sls = Sekundärluftsystem (?
    0,45)."

Can someone explain this to me? What does deactivating sls mean?

Hope someone can shed some light, I would highly appreciate it.

Thanks!
  8. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    For the BST40 carb, asside from the air box side cover, you will end up with a 157.5 to 165 MJ, #4 needle groove (from the top), drilling the vacuum piston transfer ports to .117" (3mm) -.125" (1/8") and for a large percentage pre '03 models, a 1.1 air jet OR 47 pilot jet.
  9. bibendum

bibendum n00b

Oddometer:
    creeper,

thanks for the info!
    i decided to go with the akrapovic slip on system, air cleaner setup and new jets.
    i ordered the stuff from KTM-Sommer.
    they are sending me the proper jets for use with and without the internal silencer or what they call the db eater.
    i'll update once i have everything installed and running.
    it may take a while since i won't be back home till mid october.
  10. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Exhumed, but just because I noticed that TT is getting quotes for the Akrapovics slip on around $350 dollars... not bad at all. :thumb
  11. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    Sekundärluftsystem = Secondary air system. Smog device. Look at you headpipes, otherwise, what Creeper said so many months ago.
  12. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
  13. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
  14. Stobie

Stobie Mr. Motivated Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought it should be mentioned that Wings makes a silencer for the LC4, and our own Andy-rew Fekete is a Wings dealer.

Also worth mentioning is that a set of two Ti silencers for the 950 cost about what a single Akra can costs for the LC4, and a set of spark arrestors for said set of cans is $75.

Andrew hasn't quoted prices on the LC4 system yet, but it looks promising that we should be able to get a Ti can w/SA for a reasonable price.

Some pics of the Aluminum version (even less expensive):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More info here
  15. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Good add Stobie... I believe the Wings systems are relatively new to the market and were not even available when this thread was started about a year ago.
    Nice looking stuff it is. :thumb
  16. BLUE(UK)

BLUE(UK) Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just plodded to the end of the thread thinking i will tell ya's about the 'wings' when some fecker(stobie) beat me to it.

I have akro's on me 950 but if i didnt i would have wings(remove the sticker tho):D
  17. AFekete

AFekete Long timer

Oddometer:
    As soon as I get more info I'll post it in the vendor forum...

thanks,
    A
  18. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    BUMP -for you 2005 bastages! :fitz
  19. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    As a '05 bastage I thank you :evil

Today I got on the list for the SuperTrapp at
    www.adventure-motorcycle.com

Roger has two coming in around the first of June. If you want one better get in line. If there is enough comitment he probably can get more.

Thanks to Creeper and Meat for the leads/info

Gerg
  20. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    no problem Gerg - it was grand seeing the Great Pumpkin in person :nod