Guzzi T3 shock length

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by JonnyCash, Sep 18, 2012.

1. JonnyCash

JonnyCash turd polisher

Oddometer:
    What length shocks should my T3 have? It has 13.25" shocks on it, but the Haynes manual says(I think) 12.5". I just happen to have some nice Ikons on another bike which are 12.5" which I would happily swap out to the Guzzi, when the time comes, if they are appropriate. That said, I know where I can get some used Konis in nice shape in 13.25" if that's what I should use. Thanks all.
  2. OldPete

OldPete Be aware

Oddometer:
    IIRC,13.25 is max. It will quicken the steering abit.

What were they called? 7010 Koni with the 4 position rebound adjuster on the top.
    Had 2 of those that had to be drilled to fit a Tonti swinger on a SP1000.
    The steel sleeves are tough, used a sharp drill, Rapid-Tap and slow speed on a drill press.

All I got, someone will be along with better.
  3. SeanF

SeanF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guzziology shows a standard length of 12.6" for T-3 and a bunch of other big twin models. I think your 12.5"s will do fine.
  4. manxkipper

manxkipper Fishpistel

Oddometer:
    The Ikon listing for your bike is at 12.76 inches (324mm) centre of hole to centre of hole. If your 13.25 measurement is outer end to end they will be fine to use.

I have a set of Ikons on my LM2 which are the same part no. as your T-3. Work perfectly.
  5. mtiberio

mtiberio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    12.5 to 12.75 will bracket the stock 12.6, I run 12.5's on mine just because. You can run all the way up to the stock length for a Lemans III or Lemans IV, whatever the IKON site says for those bikes, without damage to the ujoint...
  6. OldPete

OldPete Be aware

Oddometer:
    pdf... http://www.guzzitalia.com/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=34

Went to the shed. Got 13.25 on the SP I.. BUT had to weld plates on the center-stand feet to get the rear tire off the ground.

Dave Richardson said 13.25 was max as i now recall. The EV11 tour has a longer swinger, different mounting and can go 13.5. iirc

An old trick, put about 2oz. of gear oil in the swinger via the boot. This will lube the splines and the u-joint via heating and cooling cycles.
  7. JonnyCash

JonnyCash turd polisher

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys for the info. When the time comes, I'm gonna swipe the Ikons off of the RD. Yipee.
  8. OldPete

OldPete Be aware

Oddometer:
    RD Yamaha? Springs will be soft.
  9. JonnyCash

JonnyCash turd polisher

Oddometer:
    I don't think so, it's way over-sprung. There is no sag with the bike's weight, and maybe only 1/2" with me on it, and I'm 195. The spring numbers are printed right on them, I'll check them out.