would you put the black box in to save on insurance

Discussion in 'Canada' started by shipwrek12001, Oct 9, 2013.

1. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:

I would but it pays well........... where else can I surf the net from my truck, unlimited long distance on my cell, lunch sometimes 3 times a day... my boss can micro manage all he wants... if he fires me I'll come back as a contractor....

:D
  2. engineman

engineman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Simple for me. I don't own a vehicle new enough to have an OBD2 port to plug into.
    :)
    Agree it will become compulsory soon enough

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
  3. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have the same kind of "Black Box" on out Ambulances and our Support Vehicles. It's not always about micromanaging - sometimes it saves your ass.

Mounties were at the Station today after a complaint of "Speeding" and "Brake Checking". Super pulled the data and cleared the Medic.
  4. *Gmoney*

*Gmoney* Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am mixed up, almost all newer cars have at least 2 black boxes install from the factory, Airbag controller and Anti-lock brake controllers record data.
    Back in 1999 I remember a cop car coming in, brake light on dash on warranty.
    I downloaded the data , it told me the vehicle was doing 102 mph when all 4 wheels left the ground at 12.01 am the night before. I reset, it was fine,
    asked the officer about data he told me there was a high speed chase resulting in being airborne after crossing the railroad tracks around midnight.
    I explained the brake controller sensed it had no brakes being airborne and set code warning of no brakes during times when wheels are not on the ground.
  5. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    There not talking about it in BC yet but when they do I'd probably sell the Multistrada and find a old R60/6.
  6. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
    All I can think about is those scenes in "The Fifth Element" where Bruce Willis's character had to rip that black box out of his cab in order to get it running......

Man...if that is in our future....I think I'll walk.
  7. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    NO.
    I do not want anyone to track my personal data. and only do so when forced by law. Census sucks.
    I live quite well without a Air-Miles or Optimum card or any other data collection device designed for the good of the company. No cell phone to track my whereabouts and deal most of the time in cash.
    I am not paranoid about people following me but if a corp wants my personal info so they can increase the bottom line they can pay me in money.
    Insurance companies look after themselves and only themselves. They are not looking to take care of me or save me money.
  8. Timo Explorer

Timo Explorer Trail Wizard

Oddometer:
    Hell NO!!!!!

One of the things this device monitors is the time of day you drive, like apparently driving between 11pm and 3am are the most dangerous times and you must be punished, because if you drive during that time you must have just left a bar. Unfortunately for me, I do shift work which means coming or going around midnight, so I would be f%&ked by big brother. Driving an home on an empty backroad at midnight is somehow more dangerous than driving the 401 at rush hour.
    Currently they ask how far you drive the vehicle to work, okay fine, but with the new device they can also monitor how much you drive for pleasure, bastards.

I know that these devices will eventually become mandatory, especially in Ontario, because we asked our government to demand cheaper insurance rates right? So this will be their excuse, it will be giving us what we wanted.:deal
  9. ststrider

ststrider some guy on a bike

Oddometer:
    what makes you think you would save money with big brother watching your every twist of the throttle?
  10. RexBuck

RexBuck Long timer

Oddometer:
    No!
  11. klondike1

klondike1 Nobody in particular

Oddometer:
    Insurance companies can go fuck their hat!!!
  12. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    :nono

They can go fuck a train!!!
  13. klondike1

klondike1 Nobody in particular

Oddometer:
    Sorry
  14. Cody1771

Cody1771 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    if they where legitimately rewarding better drivers, and not just giving you a "discount" from already marked up rates then MAYBE on my car, definitely not on my bike.

edit: I do totally agree with most people here that it is a very slippery slope, where do you draw the line? most vehicles these days have built in trip logs/GPS anyways, how long before they just do it automatically?
  15. StepOnIt

StepOnIt Assitoner

Oddometer:
    Ya I could see my insurance going through the roof or being canceled from riding my bike. I could just see the insurance person trying to figure out why I break and accelerate so much. Will they know where you are driving and track the roads you are on, that's a 50km zone and you are doing 100km? For my car on the other hand it is slow and slower on bad days :rofl. Next with they use that data and say it was raining or snowing that day so you should be driving slower. Where will there bench mark be on what's safe or the norm. I am not a fast driver per say but will do 15-20 over the limit on the highway with cruse on. But I do tend to take corners a bit faster then the recommend speed.
    So now not only worrying about the other asshats on the road, cops, kids in the back seat, road conditions etc...now big brother. This kind of shit worries me more and more. I know that there is a computer watching all the email, texts, SMS etc.. And maybe our cell phones :deal :cry
  16. Thumpermeister

Thumpermeister roost maker

Oddometer:
    All insurance company privacy assurances aside...when someone is collecting data you can guarantee that someone else, somewhere will want to get their hands on it and will find the means to do so, whether through a "strategic business partnership", fat cheque or court order.
  17. CallMeBoog

CallMeBoog hi functioning idiom

Oddometer:
    on the bike? no. My bike insurance is $150 a year, full coverage (collision, fire/theft/vandal, comprehensive, $2M PL/PD)

On the Yaris and the Santa Fe? Maybe. Together they are $1000 a year, for the same coverage as the bike. Neither I or my wife drive them like hooligans. (Gas $$$ FFFFFFFuuuuuuCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK)

I call myself a professional driver, because I drive for a living, and have taken professional heavy truck driver training. My career depends on my driving record. I'm 30, and the wife is 34, neither of us ever a ticket or an accident.

So, maybe. maybe yes, because we have nothing to hide, and maybe not, because our insurance is also pretty cheap based on our driving record.
  18. Slowphil

Slowphil Big Man in a very very small pond

Oddometer:
    The nanny state both government and business can fuck off, I'm tired of the bullshit
  19. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    That's how I'm driving my truck these days after having 5 tickets on my record at one time. Man that got expensive, so Yes for one on the truck but NO for one on the bike.
  20. G-Mac

G-Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup I hear ya. You must be with TD as well. Mine went from about 2k to just under 5k. Guess they wanted me to pay what you didn't to compensate for their "losses"
    Needless to say I said F you and found another company