How to get proof of ownership for a bike w/no title

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by D0N, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Spitfire151

Spitfire151 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One question I do have is how does inspection and insurance work on situations such as this?
  2. 1Bonehead

1Bonehead Fearless of Falling

Oddometer:
    OK my question:
    I own a CRE250. A mtorcycle factory converted Honda CR 250. It has its own vin number and not a honda VIN.

Could I get a Vermont title and plates for it then retitle here in MD? Since it is a 1995 should I wait until next year or go with the vin check and get a Vermont title anyway?

I want to make it a street legal 2 stroker
  3. Spitfire151

Spitfire151 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bonehead I think here in PA if it's a 'reconstituted vehicle' you can get a title completely legally through your DMV.
  4. 51D7H3K1D

51D7H3K1D n00b

Oddometer:
    Theres a part on the registration form about the seller of the vehicle. So if you bought a motorcycle without a title and wanted to register it you would have to go back to the seller and get him to sign this? :huh

Just trying to clarify before i spend a few hundred dollars on a title-less bike. haha
  5. 1Bonehead

Oddometer:
    It came with a title but not from Honda but from the mod company .
  6. luniz7

luniz7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Easiest way around this is have your buddy "sale" you the bike and then he can fill that info out.... Make sure you bill of sale is from him too.
  7. luniz7

luniz7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have no idea about the 250, you could try. Worst thing they do is send your stuff back...I had it happen to me.:lol3
  8. Spitfire151

Spitfire151 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, anyone insure/and have their bikes inspected after doing this?
  9. der_saeufer

der_saeufer Пу́тін хуйло́

Oddometer:
    You can never get a Vermont title for a 250 because only bikes 300cc and up are titled. You get a registration only.

Insurance works the same way it does almost everywhere, you buy insurance and they give you a card :)

Inspections in Vermont aren't linked to the registration; enforcement is by the cops giving you a ticket for no sticker, which can only happen in Vermont.
  10. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    may be worth checking out...
  11. 1Bonehead

Oddometer:
    My bad. But I am curious if I can do this for this bike. Get a registration and tag from vermont then switch it over to MD.
  12. der_saeufer

Oddometer:
    Should work... that's what everyone else in this thread is doing :freaky
  13. Ibenhad

Ibenhad n00b

Oddometer:
    Bought 2 Aprilia Scooters out of state. NY won't register them and want me to wait a year. I want to do this Vermont thing but want to be sure I do it right. Do I need a bill of sale that's notarized? On the VT DMV form who signs where it asks for the sellers signature?

I was given the cert of origin by each owner but they never registered them and messed up the back of the documents. Filling in where it was dealer transfer. UGH. I just want to get them registered before summer/fall is gone so I can do some riding.

Thanks.
  14. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    Vermont requires a bill of sale, and for 300cc or less than 15 year old bikes, you probably are going to have to have a vin verification that is notarized.

I registered a TT500 and RT360 without any hassle. But, they are well beyond 15 years old and I had legitimate bill of sale to use. The worst thing is they will send your application back. Worth a shot.
  15. Spitfire151

Spitfire151 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine arrived today! Woohoo!
  16. 1Bonehead

Oddometer:
    What was your turn around time?
  17. der_saeufer

Oddometer:
    From the instructions for the registration application: "The signature of seller is required only for dealer transactions and non-titled vehicles when there is no Bill of Sale." Assuming you bought them in a private sale and have a bill of sale, this doesn't apply to you.

If the scooters are 300cc or more AND less than 15 years old, you need a title or to be able to show a chain of ownership from the MSO (this may be a pain).

If the scooters are 500cc or more but 15+ years old, you need a VIN verification, but not a title.. unless they've been registered in Vermont before, in which case you just need a copy of the last VT registration card.

If the scooters are less than 300cc, regardless of age, you do NOT need a VIN inspection or a title--bikes this small aren't titled even when brand new.

Nothing needs to be notarized for Vermont's DMV.
  18. Ibenhad

Ibenhad n00b

Oddometer:
    Well I sent everything I could on Friday. Lets see what happens.

1. Notarized Bill of Sale
    2. Picture of VIN with a Notarized stamp
    3. All paperwork
    4. Copy of the front of the Certificate of Origin

I will keep you posted.

Last ditch effort will be to get new bill of sale and date it to one year ago. In NY I should be able to register after 1 year. I may also try and register as not the owner. That may work.
  19. Spitfire151

Spitfire151 Adventurer

Oddometer:

About a week and a half.
  20. W4lnutz

W4lnutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    now here is an even trickier question so let me start with the back story.

My buddy is building me a frame for a motor that I have titled to a 73 honda cb 750.

Now the current frame that it sits in the frame vin does not match the title vin. AT ALL not even the years are the same cause the vin tag says its a 74

SO..........now here in lies the problem. the frame has no title. My idea is this I can make my own vin tag from the numbers on the title. the question is what metal do I use to make the tag and if that does not work how do i go about getting the frame titled?????????????????????????

I live in INdiana and the frame is coming from the west so what do I do??????????/