XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. KyoXR

KyoXR Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to buy a set of Cycra Probend Racer Pack for 7/8" for the XRL,

anyone know of a killer deal on a set?
  2. flyingwombat

flyingwombat frozen dead guy

Oddometer:
    Cool
  3. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A inch wouldn't work for me. I had to shave my stock seat down a 1 to 1.5 inch in some areas. So I need the Renzco shaved 2.5 inches to work for me. I think that effect the comfort of the seat.
  4. flyingwombat

flyingwombat frozen dead guy

Oddometer:

Cool. Make sure you measure your lower clamps to make sure the HDB top clamp will fit them. If not, you'll need the lower clamps too. Paul is a great guy to deal with.
  5. RZRob

RZRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm running the FMF Power Bomb, & I have the small guard from FMF, but my right knew of my pants is toasted from hitting the exhaust. Anyone else having this issue? Any ideas?

RZ Rob
  6. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    Can you post a pic? Placement may have something to do with the problem.

-Barron
  8. GlockPointer

GlockPointer NachosRiflesAlchohol

Oddometer:

Ya, raised in the 11oclock position into oncoming traffic is what I remember. Somethin about them usds.
  9. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe Corbin seats are usually lower than stock but from what I've heard it's like going from sitting on a 2x4(stock seat) to sitting on a 2x6. Some folks love em, some hate em.
  10. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    When you're a pioneer, you have to expect some hiccups, especially when measuring out stuff in space like that. If something didn't get a CH off in the process, it would be from sheer luck. Given the motivation and time to re-design, it could be close to perfect.

I was thinking Solidworks would export a DXF, but I guess it will only natively import. Maybe it was some third-party converters the mechanical guys would use to do that, but not sure. I'm a PCB CAD designer myself, but I did learn AutoCad when it first came out. That was before Windows came onto the scene; the commands in DOS and the commands within AutoCad we had to type in. At the time, it seemed pretty nifty. Now it would be considered an outrageous hassle! To "print", we used a machine called a plotter. It would draw by pen on paper, moving the pen back and forth in one plane and the paper back and forth in the other, pen up and pen down. An engineering marvel to watch, especially with a D or E sized drawing, it seemed blazingly fast. Despite zipping around like mad, though, it would still take minutes to draw out complex drawings.

That console is going to be so unique and useful for your application that perhaps you could have a market for it. Once you get it worked out and going, perhaps someone will request you to fab them one. Could be a great start to a business. What's this with the snow in the walkabout - that can't be en Mexico ni San Diego, verdad? Did you move up north into snow country??
    :vardy
  11. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    I inherited a Corbin seat for my V65 Sabre. At first, I kept it on the shelf because it is notably uglier than the stock seat. One day I was working on the bike, thought of the Corbin, and tried it on. Felt hard as a rock! But lower. Felt weird, but I could put both feet solidly flat on the ground. I thought what the heck, let me take a ride with it on. After all, I've heard people swear by them. But I didn't even put the bolts in I was so skeptical. A few rides around town later, I had a pretty neutral feeling; it wasn't as cushy but it was tolerable and it did get me closer to the ground without sacrificing the bike's cornering ability. So I started venturing further out on it. I didn't get sore or anything so when a three-day riding trip came up, I got to pondering. I decided to take the chance on the Corbin, then didn't really think about it until I realized afterward that I never got that uncomfortable feeling I usually would get when riding all day. So like I forget who said it a couple pages ago, not thinking about it is a great endorsement!

Maybe the fact that it is wider and has a contoured shape - wider at the cheeks, narrows where the legs drop down - contributes to increased comfort. Maybe being harder helps... wouldn't seem like it, but maybe. It seems less comfortable to hop on it, but it certainly is more comfortable after being on it for hours.

I'd surmise that those who love it spend lots of contiguous hours in it while those who hate it are in for shorter stints and/or looks. The extra width is probably why the 2x6 analogy, but with stock being one of those rod shaped pillow rolls. :lol3
  12. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:

Some feel the need to rake the trail, me, I just ride on the leaves.
  13. 3girlsdad

3girlsdad aka FiddyK Supporter

Oddometer:
    sweet, just scored a new Bell Moto 9 Stunt, black, for $218.99 from denniskirk.com (did price match "beat it by a buck"). this helmet still sells for $350-$450 online. a couple places have it for $219.99. one place even has it for $199.99 http://www.extremesupply.com/product/Brand-Bell/bellmoto9stunthelmets.html!!! but i wanted the black (black only in small at that link, has all other sizes in the "pearl" color).

not trying to start a helmet debate! just passing on a good deal, after a LOT of research on helmets. only other helmet i considered (b/c of my head shape) is the shoei vfx-w, but it was just too rich for my blood...

[​IMG]
  14. elsalvadorklr

elsalvadorklr southern xr rider

Oddometer:
    hey dudes for those of you recently installing clutches, can anyone tell me what way the numbers face on the actual fiber disks? I cant remember...

thanks

christian

for oem disks...
  15. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still able to count on XRL Dave also:D
  16. Cumbacheech

Cumbacheech XRated

Oddometer:
    I didn't raise mine... Should I? :ear The guy who upgraded the springs and put in the Gold valves told me to line it up. It seems to work realy nice but i never tried raising them. Any input welcomed

BTW Marko the bike looks cool, Very stock looking! or atleast how it should look in stock form...

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Cumbacheech
  17. taco250

taco250 wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:

I talked to a woman who had a Corbin on her 1988 RT 100 BMW. Her husband had one on his BMW as well. They both traveled extensively on their bikes and said the Corbin was an excellent upgrade over the factory BMW. I was going to get one for my KLX400 (green DRZ) but read too many reports where the seat pan Corbin used would not fit well on most DRZ's/KLX. I's like to hear from somebody who has one on their XRL.:ear
  18. RideAbout

RideAbout Mentally Retired

Oddometer:
    All this talk about Corbin Seats reminds me that I have one for the XRL sitting in a box that I'll let go of if someone is interested.

:deal
  19. Cigar Mike

Cigar Mike Too Old and Too Slow Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I have had the Corbin on my bike since 2006. It took about 10,000 miles to fully break it in. Even brand new the seat made the bike more comfortable compared to the stock seat but it is very firm. I like that the seat moves you up on the tank. That is where you should be riding the bike while sitting, in the dirt. It is nice to move back on the wide part of the seat on those long pavement runs to get a break. I ordered the leather seat cover and have been very happy with that. I guess I must think it is OK since it is still on the bike, but I have never recommended it to anyone else.

If you are concerned about adding weight to your bike, this is not the seat for you. It is very heavy compared to stock. I believe that most would be unhappy with the Corbin made for the XR650L. I took my wife's bike to their shop and had a seat custom made. That is what they were noted for at one time. They made your seat while your ate a free lunch in the dinner and watched it being done through the window. If you did not like something they changed it on the spot..

Cheers,

Mike
  20. Cigar Mike

Cigar Mike Too Old and Too Slow Supporter

Oddometer:
    I burned through a pair of pants also. I never had a problem while riding. It would only touch when I stopped and looked back over my left shoulder. I put the stock shield on the header.

[​IMG]