Winter tires.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by jackd, Oct 31, 2012.

1. jackd

jackd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Delete
  2. DNF

DNF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    USA

We get screwed for rubber up here as per usual.

Otherwise (as you mentioned) cheap steel rims at crappy tire or Walmart. As for rubber, do your homework. I have bought some good stuff at Kal Tire, but some swear by the independents.
  3. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Lexus dealer told me to order from the tire rack, i did and saved a ton on rims and tires. It was like the savings MC tires all over again.

I paid the tax no duty
  4. klondike1

klondike1 Nobody in particular

Oddometer:
    I got a set off eBay from Connecticut delivered to my door for 1000 less than i could get here. This was on Nissan rims rather than steel. Tires were Blizzack DV1 i think is the name and were 18 inch rims. 1400 to my door. 2600 from the local dealer
  5. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Tire Rack is a first class operation. The Lexus rims needed a Tire Pressure Monitor. One of the ones installed on their rims was defective when received

The dealership had to install an OEM sensor. I called the Tire Rack and they asked me to return the sensor and send them PDF's of the bills.They sent me a postage paid shipping label to return the sensor for testing.

They refunded the sensor cost, paid for the OEM Lexus part and all the extra labour costs. I was actually ahead financially

First Class operation

Your tire size in not sold in the US ?

6. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Check usedvic in Victoria, or kijiji and craigslist in Vancouver

I recently moved to Ont and looked around for wheels and tires for my 09 Montana van. I hecked kijiji in the Barrie area and there were 3 pages for the 225-60-17 that I was looking for. Got a set of 4 steel wheels with excellent Continental rubber. He wanted 70, but I only had 20's so I gave him 80. :clap
  7. edwin

edwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 kijiji
    but also try auto wreckers...maybe the rims would even have winters on them!? and you may get allloys for way less than buying new steels....
  8. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Havn't bought a bike or car tire in Canada for 10 yrs. See no financial reason to change this trend.
  9. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    A bit off the topic, but I can't say enough good things about the Blizzaks I had...it was like driving on pavement with those things on!
  10. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

Why not?
  11. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's gripping surface you want with silica in the mix for extra bite. The old-fashioned snows with large tread voids don't work as well as the newer stuff. Check the tread blocks on modern Alpine-rated snows (snowflake on a mountain symbol on the sidewall) and you'll see fine siping. That's where your traction comes from, especially on ice. Now if you slog through deep mud, that's a different story.

The first year I had my Blizzaks, I was pushing through foot-deep snow with impunity in a Camry.
  12. Groves

Groves Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha, I cringe when I see people running a set of winter tires in the middle of summer.

If we're throwing in tire suggestions I'm a big fan of Nokian's Hakkapeliitta line. Had a good life out of my last set and using a set Hakka Rs this year.

I actually look forward to a good challenging winter drive!
  13. edwin

edwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    no need to worry about the neighbor running winters year long here in the kootenays...snow/winter ends in april and by october you should have the winters back on. so if you dont have extra rims and do the swap yourself you may as well us winters years long and change em when they wear out! that said you sHould be driving 2 wheel vehicles for the months that the winter tires coUld come off the 4 wheel vehicle....kapish!? ;)
  14. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    1010tires.com
    Canadian company.
  15. Calgary06

Calgary06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've run winter tires for a while now. I typically get at least 70-80000km out of them. Three seasons and a summer usually. Michelin x--ice (I think - 10 years ago...) I didn't really like. Two sets of Blizzaks were great although they wore a little unevenly, Hakkapeliitta RSi were fantastic - the wife got 6 years around town and they still had more (30%) left.. Currently we are running Hakkapeliitta 5 SUV studded and Gislaved Nord Frosts on our vehicles. Only a month on the Gislaved tires so far and they seem good. Time will tell. I can't recommend the Nokians enough. I'll definitely get more when these wear out.

The difference between all-season, aka no-season tires vs winter tires is night and day.
    I'll never go back to regular tires.
    Hope that helps.
    Good luck searching.
  16. Calgary06

Oddometer:
  17. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Have had great luck with Kijij, I've only bought from individuals. Bought two set of tires for kids' cars. Rims and snows.

It just takes a lot of time, but was way cheaper than buying new, if that's your market.

Will go the US route for the wife's snow tires. The in-laws did that and saved a bundle.
  18. NovaTrophy

NovaTrophy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will recommend the Nokian Hakka's as well. Got the Rsi's 5 years and 60+ kms ago and finally am getting a new set in a few weeks (tread wearing and getting very noisy). I got mine at Davies Tire in Portsmouth New Hampshire while down that way on business back then and will be going back again for a shopping getaway with the family. Pretty much half the price as here and no tax. A great deal, and a nice town for a visit.
  19. Calgary06

Oddometer:
    The Blizzaks and the Hakka 5 were on Toyota Tacoma 4x4s, the Hakka RSi were on a Volvo V50 and the new XC60 came with the Gislaved tires. Friends had Nokian WR all seasons on their minivan but have changed to straight winter tires after they wore out. They were better than regular all seasons but not as good as true winter tires.

The biggest difference I find with the winter tires is starting and stopping at intersections. The light goes green and away you go. I hardly use 4x4 in the truck unless it is really bad out. Better control on the highway and in deep snow as well.
    One problem ... you can stop but the idiot on bald summer tires behind you may not be able to. Last week I had someone slide right past me in the next lane and halfway through the intersection. I hadn't realized that it was even slippery out...always watch your 6 and leave plenty of space in front of you to get out of the way.

We have both sets on extra rims and I mount on the car myself in about 30 minutes. Saves $100 twice a year and there is no waiting in line. Most places are booking 4 weeks out here in Calgary or you have to line up at Costco at 4am...
  20. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    I had the Hakkas on the Honda Pilot, great tires, but were very noisy.

Now on my '94 Grand Prix, I put the BF Goodrich Slalom snow tires, and they were great last winter (through both snowfalls we had last year :rofl). I was surprised how well they gripped with this front wheel drive beauty.

Put them on steel or used rims, so you can just do it yourself. It also gives you a good opportunity to look at the brake pads and disks.

Many years ago we put the Hakka WR, they were all seasons rated for snow. Very quiet tire, but wore out fast, and like the previous poster said, they didn't handle as good as snow tires in the 3rd season, so we put dedicated snows on.