Richmond Va chatter

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by mikeinrichmond, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, was trying to avoid that..... having to carry around another device to plug in when under "duress," i.e, trying to get connected in a hurry. :lol3

It was also my understanding that the EC devices were faster, but not sure if that is true..... especially since EC slot specs. make reference to USB in the way they actually interface with the machine.
  2. manganos

manganos Let me pontificate.

Oddometer:

EC is not faster. Maximum download for EVDO Rev A is around 3.1 mps . You will be fine using USB. I actually prefer it because you can use it in desktops and laptops w/o an adapter. Yes there have been some cases of interference but that is easy to cure with a usb extension cable. My setup at home consist of a Verizon USB727 plugged into a Cradlepoint MBR-1000 router. I have a 32" Wilson Antenna plugged into the USB card. When we take the RV I have a MBR-350 I plug the card into. Or just plug it into a laptop. www.3gstore.com ;)
  3. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    So this device will plug directly into one of the USB ports on the side of the machine? The BB device I have is the Kyocera KPC680 and "your" adapter sez it's compatible with it.

I also just found out about a device available in Germany that may provide the stabilization issue with the BB device in the EC slot:

http://www.exsys.ch/index.php?main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=1&products_id=554

I've dropped them a note and hopefully they'll respond quickly. I have 21 days to make up my mind on whether to keep the 1525, or not.
  4. MAN OF BLUES

MAN OF BLUES COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer:
    Guy,
    I know the diff between a SD/media card and an external device, yes, there is a media slot (SD etc) but the thin slot is another one on the unit. Look closely, you will see there are 3 different slot configs for phone cards, the 2 we noted yesterday, and the one I noted as being thin but wide, (not an SD slot), along with multiple USB ports...

Hey, If you do talk to him (I just know you're gonna go over there now...) let Clyde know that if he picks up that GS, I want first Dibs on the KLR....I know he won't be allowed to have both along with "Momma's" ride also.... :shog :shog :shog
    Pretty much figger he'll pull the bags and such and put them on the new bike, which would be expected, and frugal....
    Wouldn't mind owning a second "Clyde owned" quality bike....:rofl :rofl
    the first one served me well!!!!:wings
  5. manganos

manganos Let me pontificate.

Oddometer:
    Yes, it plugs into a USB port on the side or back of your pc and works great.

6. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, I'm not. I care not to tempt temptation. I have my eyes on the Stelvio - if - I can unload my Concours (and) KLR stuff.

Yeah, you read that right.

eBay ads to come later...........

Drop him a note. I know he's selling the FJR and KLR once he's sure the GS is the right fit.

Edit: Happy Trail, the maker of his panniers, has a rack system for the GS - but - his is the early mounting version and not sure if it's compatible with their newest offering, so he may be selling the bike with all the farkles.

Again, give him a holler.
  7. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went ahead and ordered one. If the adapter from Germany doesn't work out, I can use it with the 1525 and/or the D610 I use at work.

Double jeopardy in this silly game of tag we play.

Also, this 1525 has awesome WiFi capability. Simply flip a switch on the side and it's activated. Touchpad is decent too. The 610 is too sensitive and a real PITA to use.... especially when it's cold outside and you can't feel the end of your fingers. :vardy
  8. pplassm

pplassm Brace for collision! 40488

Oddometer:
    Wow you guys are trying to stay MORE connected? I am trying to get more UN connected. :LOL

Interesting food pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's whay I wasn't tagging last nought.
  9. 65bmwr50

65bmwr50 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are in the market for a new computer and I have found that there are now multiple slots on a computer. Older computers will have the PCMCIA slot, newer computers will have either or possibly both, ExpressCard 34 (34mm) or ExpressCard 54 (54mm) slots. Then you will also have all of the various media card slots (SD, miniSD, etc.). not to mention the USB slots. Verizon has an air card that will fit in the EC 34 format. We currently have a PCMCIA aircard that works awesome. YMMV.
  10. roger123

roger123 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I talked to him last month he said that both the KLR and FJR would be going once he got a GS.
  11. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pete, looks delicious - but.......

you know that stuff'll kill you............................... eventually.

Chow hardy!!
  12. pplassm

Oddometer:
    What a a way to go! That was yummy!
  13. MAN OF BLUES

MAN OF BLUES COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer:
    my arteries just get hard looking at all thos trans-fats and colesterols...
    :photog :photog
    :lurk
    I'm having a nice omlet for dinner......with 8 eggs, a half pound of cheese, bacon, fired in butter.....and doused with salt and hot sauce....
    maybe some Moose Tracks choclate Ice cream for desert....:kbasa

glad I didn't get that grab today... I collected some AWESOME new tags... can't wait to use them!!!!
  14. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some of you may be familiar with the film, Riding Solo to the Top of the World by Gaurav Jani.

He just sent me a link to the trailer for his latest work, One Crazy Ride.

http://dirttrackproductions.com/trailers/ridingsolo/index.html

To see how the film looks like, download the high resolution version
    (which is one-forth resolution of the film) which is a link on the
    trailer page.

I had the luxury of getting a copy of the rough cut late last year (in PAL format), and I can tell you what we consider adventure riding doesn't hold a candle to some of the stuff these folks brave.... all on Enfields, no less.

My copy is already on order...........

Enjoy.
  15. Gimmeslack

Gimmeslack furthur

Oddometer:
    I got "Riding Solo..." and thought it was excellent. It's part National Geographic documentary, part motorcycle flick, part bollywood adventure. :lol3

I may have to check out his new video...

16. mikeinrichmond

mikeinrichmond Farkleus Maximus

Oddometer:
    What did the 'pilots map' that Pete posted in the Commuter tag thread mean? Anyone?
  17. MADSTROM

MADSTROM Long timer

Oddometer:
    So...when's Double Feature Movie Night :dunno :lurk :loaded ???? ...I can't wait now that you've wetted my .
  18. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    What Pete showed was a portion of a Sectional Chart. These are primarily used for flights flown under Visual Flight Rules (VFR), so they show a lot of detail that a pilot might see when tooling along at an altitude of minimums to 15,000 ft, or so. To try and tell what all the info means would far exceed the space we have here, or my motivation to do so. The following link will help, but to really get the gist of what it all means, you need to sit down with an experienced pilot so they can run through all the symbols and the like. Some of it is pretty obvious, but even the colors of certain features have a very important meaning.

The following link will provide a primer, but additional searches for Sectional Charts will expand the info/knowledge you receive.

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/instruments/q0125.shtml

Now, the tag. Since I knew this was a marker beacon, I had to go to an additional map to find the location.

Below is a diagram for the Instrument Landing System (ILS) approach procedure for RIC's main ILS runway 34. This runway has a directional heading of 340 degrees on the (corrected) magnetic compass. If you were landing from the other direction, that same runway would be Runway 16, or 160 degrees on the compass.

Anyway, I knew we were looking at a marker beacon used for Instrument Flight Rules (IFR). If you look at the map, Pete's reference to HPW (Hopewell), is a VOR (VHF Omnidirectional Range navigation system) location, is way out of bounds. But, if you look closer at the procedure chart you will see the "OM" beacon (KAFKA), and two others (MM and IM). These I mentioned in my post on the tag forum. Knowing that all of these markers were in runway alignment, I simply drew a line off the end of runway 34 out, and used the procedure chart to find the markers by referencing them to the landmarks show on the chart.

[​IMG]

The following link will show you the complete procedure chart, and the altitude minimums where you must be as you cross each of the marker beacons:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2484990/RIC-ILS-OR-LOC-RWY-34-0804

Hope this helps.

One final comment, those large leather cases you see pilots lugging on board, they contain all the charts they might use in the flights they make daily, and then some. Commercial pilots usually carry all of the Sectional, World Altitude Charts (WAC - used for high altitude flight), and all the approach procedure charts for every airport that has ILS capability in the world. They have to, because they can never know when they'll be diverted to an alternate airport should their intended destination go below minimums and they would not be allowed to risk an approach.
  19. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Once I get his new one, we can set something up.
  20. pplassm

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the explanation, Guy. I am only a bit familiar with sectionals. I used to navigate for my Dad.:rayof