High Definition TV - Plasma, LCD, LED questions

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Howzit, May 23, 2010.

1. Bonnie Abbzug

Bonnie Abbzug Property of Hayduke

Oddometer:

That's good to know, because I ordered the cheapest one I could get!
  2. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    for runs shorter than 15ft any HDMI cable is fine.
  3. Sniper X

Oddometer:
    That should be a great TV. In my opinion, the thing that makes a LED or LCD pic look really shitty is size, they tend to look better when smaller if they are 120hz and 1080p native....so that one should look great.
  4. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:

:thumb--
  5. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Sniper! What are your thoughts on the Panasonic G25 Plasmas? Looking at them today, they have a very nice picture, and non-reflective screen which is nice (I think), but at 50". they are approximatley 50% more than the other Panasonic plasmas that I looked at. The sales weenie said this was because the G25 had a better processor, and a much higher contrast ratio.
  6. Bonnie Abbzug

Oddometer:
    So, what are the chances that my TV will still work (if it ever gets here), now that it's been stuck on a truck in -20* weather for the last week? :cry
  7. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    David, I almost got a G25 - they look really nice but settled on the much-cheaper S2 version. Its also non-reflective and all that, just slightly less contrast and doesn't have all the gadgets (wifi, pre-set THX certified calibration etc). I'm not ultra-picky, but the 50" S2 looks fantastic to my eyes and was <$700 before Christmas. I've got a ps3 and stuff hooked up that takes care of wifi and all that so the gadgets in the G25 would have been wasted on me. if you are ultra-picky or could use the various gadgets of the G25 I think it'd be a great choice. If you just want a no-frills TV with a good picture the S2 does nicely for less $$$.
  8. Sniper X

Oddometer:
    It should be fine, the L in LCD isn't water. :roflI'll put it this way, my GPS in my Range Rover doesn't freeze up even at 24 below zero outside...was that what you were worried about?
  9. Sniper X

Oddometer:
    give me the whole model number, but if you are talking about what they call the Premium series, then yes, they are better than the standard consumer ones. I think the contrast ratio on them is in the 3 million to 1 range.
  10. Bonnie Abbzug

Oddometer:
    Well, it's a relief to know that there isn't any water in it! :lol3

I didn't know if the cold would be a problem or not, glad to know it's not. Now, I just hope the delivery driver has been kind to it and not been throwing it around!
  11. Sniper X

Oddometer:
    yep, it should be fine, it BETTER not be effected by cold, that would cut out sales of LCD to millions of homes! I worri9ed about the same thing when I got my GPS for my range rover, use to take it out every night when I knew it was getting below freezing, but I forgot one night and it got to 10 below and it fired right up the next morning....
  12. Bonnie Abbzug

Oddometer:
    Awesome!

Thanks for all the advice! I'll let ya know what I think of the TV, once I get it and get a chance to watch it!
  13. Sniper X

Oddometer:
    As I look deeply into my Chrystal ball, I predict......Bonnie sees picture on the new TV for the first time and high fives HERSELF!
  14. Sniper X

Oddometer:
    AND of course, lets out some sort of woohoo sound or other.
  15. Bonnie Abbzug

Oddometer:
    :rofl I'll have Duke take a video!
  16. Jurgen

Oddometer:
    Tell Duke to not "accidently" pour water in it. :eek1
  17. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is the "G25" that I first asked about: https://panasonic.ca/english/audiovideo/plasma/tcp50_54g20_25.asp

This is the "S" series that was also mentioned: https://panasonic.ca/english/audiovideo/plasma/tcp42_46_50S2.asp

I have an XBox 360 connected to the TV that I use for streaming media, Netflix etc, so bunches of network options are really not that important at all.

The S series TVs are much cheaper than the G series, if we went that route, a 54" TV would be plausible. The 54" G TV is $2K!

The G series TVs quote a contrast ratio of 5M:1 while the S series are 2M:1, I don't know what the practical benefit of that is to me though! Kids do lots of gaming on the TV, I watch racing, otherwise pretty standard fare. We are replacing a 47" Panasonic rear projection TV that does High Def, but it seems to be getting dimmer and less sharp over time. I think it's at least 10 years old though....
  18. Bonnie Abbzug

Oddometer:
    Oh, I think he knows better! :lol3

My employee called and said it was delivered just a bit ago :clap, so Duke is gonna bring it home with him in a little while. I'm cleaning off the tv stand and sorting through all the cords and wires and crap that were a rats nest behind it.

Keep your fingers crossed that I can figure this new fangled thing out! :huh
  19. Jurgen

Oddometer:

In my modest experience, the new stuff is a lot easier to figure out than the older stuff. Good luck.
  20. Sniper X

Oddometer:
    Here's the run down on what you'll NOTICE different in those two monitors.

On the G25 version, since the contrast ratio is so much higher, the blacks will be way smoother in the picturee in that you won't see gradations or ribbons of black hardly at all which is predominent in the digital picture. They are almost gone. On the other monitor, they will be diminished from the previous models, but not almost totally gone like on the G25. This also has to do with the gradations of gfey which is higher on the G25 too, so is the colour gamut, it is true HD on the G25 and like a billion collours on the S.

All round a better monitor the G25.