Selkirk Loop & the Canadian Rockies - 2UP- 1200 Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Kodanja, Aug 31, 2009.

1. scottage cheese

scottage cheese 03 KLR 650

Oddometer:
    Nice ride report. I love to ride the rockies, such amazing scenery. It's only 4 hrs from my front door to Jasper so I try to get there a few times a year. Those Ice Field snow coaches are the dual sport equivalent of a tour bus.
  2. Kodanja

Kodanja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's been over a month since I posted....kinda lost interest, but here is the final installment.

DAY 7 Radium Hot Springs to Moscow

We had 330 miles to go today and planned to camp in Moscow, so we had a light breakfast at our motel and rolled out.

The views just out of Radium were beautiful in the crisp morning light.
    [​IMG]

We proceed south on 95 towards Cranbrook (where we stopped coming up) and decided to take the long way around through Kimberley on 95A....There was a sign about Kimberley being the Bavarian City of the Rockies, so we wanted to check it out. When we arrived there was major road construction on the main road through town but kept our eyes open for the Bavarian City. By the time we were through the construction we were headed out of town.....where's the Bavarian Town? Did we miss it? Not wantimg to backtrack through the road construction to search for it we continued on to Cranbrook. Later as I googled Kimberely and there is definitely a small area in Bavarian style....we just happened to miss it...damn. We'll stop next time through.

We stopped for lunch and fuel at the same place in Cranbrook since we knew the food was good, then continued on towards the US border.

We approached the border crossing...the sign said to have your passports and identification ready and since I knew exactly where our passports were (in the front pouch of the tankbag) I pulled right up to the gate, turned off the bike, flipped up my helmet lid and said hi to the straight-faced border agent. I casually unzipped the pouch and our passports were not there! Oh, SHIT!

I was completely perplexed as I always double checked to make sure they were there. Now, I'm looking at the border agent and he his shaking his head. After a few moments of checking our pockets and tank bag, I knew we were in a bit of trouble. Only after a few minutes, the cars were piling up behind us and I asked the agent if I could pull the bike forward and off to the side so we could search through our luggage. He said No, I'm not going to let you move and you can't back up....why didn't you have your passports ready before you approached the gate?

I was starting to panic, cars were stacking up, and I had no idea where the passports were. We were off the bike starting to go through our luggage.., I make slight comments about how I never misplace our passports and assured him that they were here somewhere. He keeps shaking his head with a stern look. After about 10 minutes, he says to pull forward and to the side, but we better not take off!. So we enter about the US without passports, get off the bike and start tearing into everything. My wife is pulling all her luggage out and I'm removing all the contents of the tank bag and just as I started in on my luggage, my wife says, I found them! and waves them at me. Keep calm I think...at least we have them. Turns out, she had taken the passports with us yesterday morning on our hike to Angel Glacier and she didn't give them back (of course, I never asked for them either.)

I wave the passports to the border agent who then signals me to come forward after stopping the next vehicle before they pull up to the gate. He has me walk back into Canada across the painted line, face the US and hand him the passports....he checks them out, asks a few questions, says, you're good to go, and I walk back into the US to our bike and repack. A bit unnerving, but just knowing that we hadn't lost our passports and that we in fact had them was a huge relief. We were there about 30 minutes.

We had a short stop in Bonner's Ferry to make a call and spent about 2 minutes in the town museum, then headed south to Sandpoint, ID. We wanted to spend some time at the beach there so we found a place to park and quickly changed into shorts and a cool shirt behind a car.

We walked around town first, then down to the beach. It was hot and we found some shade to rest and enjoy the view.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A light beacon at the end of the pier.
    [​IMG]

The local movie theater
    [​IMG]

Back at the bike a nice man who lives in Sandpoint during the summer came over to check us out. He explains how his dogs eyes are sensitive to the sun, so they wear a hat and dark glasses. Nice.
    [​IMG]

We wanted to make Moscow early enough to get a camping spot so we headed out. I didn't really know where a campground was located, but I would ask when we arrive. As we ride through town there aren't any signs of campgrounds, so we stop at a local convenience store to ask. I go inside and my wife waits at the bike. The lady inside said that the closest campground is about 11 miles away!

We really wanted to stay in Moscow so we could see the town early the next morning. She give me directions to the campground. There was only about an hour of daylight left. Disgruntled, I walk outside to see that another GS rider had pulled up and was asking about our bike, where we going, coming, etc. I ask him about a campground and he immediately says, "You can camp in my back yard...I only live down the street a few blocks." I was very grateful but not really surprised after reading all the ride reports of other riders offering their homes.

So, we followed him to his house...he rolled up into his garage and I parked on the street. He showed us around; where to set up in the back yard; how to use the TV in the shop; told us to come inside to use the bathroom, shower, etc. He was so kind. Told us to go ahead and set up while he mowed his front yard. I offered to mow it for him, but he refused. His wife was not there and I was a bit worried what she was going to think when she gets home and sees a GS adventure at their curb and a tent in their backyard.

[​IMG]

We get everything arranged and she shows up, comes walking out the back of the house and greets us with a smile. My wife and she start talking and the kind man invites me into his house for a Corona and to watch sports. I felt like we were best friends as I slid into his couch, sipped on a beer and listened as he explained bow hunting.

After a while my wife and I left to get a bite to eat, returned around 9:30pm and slid into our sleeping bags. We wanted to leave the next morning, but didn't want to wake our hosts.

DAY 8 Moscow to Warm Lake

After quietly packing everything on the bike, the garage door opens and out comes Mrs. host. We greet her and she says her husband had already left for work. I really wanted to tell him how much we appreciated his generosity. My wife gives her a hug of appreciation and we go visit our old alma mater, the University of Idaho.

It's been about 20 years since I had seen the campus.

The Art and Architecture Department where I spent a lot of time in studio.
    [​IMG]

My wife's sorority
    [​IMG]

My fraternity
    [​IMG]

The Idaho Vandals Kibbie Dome
    [​IMG]

Before heading out of town, we stopped for a danish. Here is downtown Moscow
    [​IMG]

Fun college town!
    [​IMG]

Another theater pic
    [​IMG]

The Old Lewiston Grade down to Lewiston was a blast! The pavement is well maintained and no traffic! My wife shot some video, because I was not stopping....it was too fun!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Outside of Culdesac, we took the Old Winchester Grade into Winchester.
    [​IMG]

These old roads are more time consuming, but they are much more pleasing.

Wheat fields lined our route along the Palouse and we stopped to see it close up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As with most trips, the closer you get to home, the fewer the pics. On our way into Warm Lake we stopped at the summit of Big Creek for a parting shot. No great sunsets, or pics with our bike under the stars, but we had ridden 8 days straight and were ready for a relaxing weekend.

The trip around the Selkirk Loop, Banff and Jasper National Park and the Icefield Parkway was incredible. Although this report is a record of what we saw and did, one can't comprehend the feeling, emotion and sentiment a trip like this means to us, however, I'm sure you can relate to this feeling through your own adventures. Thanks for reading.
  3. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for "the rest of the story" :clap
  4. calrider

calrider I'm Lost Too!!

Oddometer:
    Just stumbled across this. Very nice report. I went to high school in Creston and my parents live in Cranbrook now. (I'm in Calgary) Next summer you should come up for the Horizons Unlimited meetup in Nakusp (just north of New Denver).

Take Care and keep enjoying the byways!
  5. Kodanja

Kodanja Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks! I've been wanting to attend an HU meeting for a couple years now, so thanks for letting me know about it in Nakusp....I'll definitely attend! You live in beautiful area up there in Canada.
  6. Shizoku

Shizoku Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found a link to this and glad I did!
    I'm meeting a friend, who lives south of Sandpoint, and in August we will be heading up into Canada for a trip .
    I think we will use your RR as a blueprint for our trip.
    Thanks for taking the time to put the RR together.
  7. Kodanja

Kodanja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you found it. I just reread the report and it brought back great memories. You're going to have a blast! Just don't misplace your passport!

Have a great time!
  8. Baldeagle1

Baldeagle1 n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm the friend Shizoku referred to. I agree that this sounds like what we are looking for. I enjoyed your write up and pics. Can't wait. I also have a new GS that is waiting for some miles.:D