Famco #3 Arbor Press

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jgrady1982, Nov 4, 2012.

1. jgrady1982

jgrady1982 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My dad sold his machine shop this past week. Before everything was signed he gave me a Wells-Index 745 vertical mill, with a bunch of tooling and two vices, as well as this Famco #3 arbor press.

It was painted about 4 times, it started off as red, I think, then was white, blue and finally black. I used a Harbor Freight air needle scaler to remove all the paint, and man that tool is great. It took me about 20 minutes to get most of the paint off and it did a really great job at getting inside of the letters and numbers on the side of the press. I would highly recommend it for machine paint removal.

One coat of machine shop grey, Sherwin Williams oil based. The degreasing of the mill begins this week, I am not looking forward to that...

Thanks,
    Jack
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will post some more pics with the press all assembled after the paint dries...
  2. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    nicely done -- bringing back old iron is an honorable pursuit!
  3. P B G

P B G Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool - I have a Famco 40 OBI press in my shop, playing with it and hoping not to lose any fingers.
  4. xcflyn

xcflyn Long timer

Oddometer:
    looks nice- way handier then the hydraulic ones in many case's. But dude thats a shame to see a wrench on the Kurt vice :huh
  5. jgrady1982

jgrady1982 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know, I have the Kurt vice wrench in my garage, but was just easier to pull the 3/4" out of the box in order to hold something in the vice.
  6. kirkster70

kirkster70 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice work! Glad you didn't paint it bright yellow or green like a lot of people do. Nice tool as well!