Does this arrow-pointing GPS exist?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Michelangelo, Jan 21, 2013.

1. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it was pointing at your direction, wouldnt it just point forward all the time :rofl

It points to whereever you've told the gps you want to go, ie next waypoint, and I belive just about any gps will do that for ya. :evil
  2. kruzuki

kruzuki Gear in the Machine

Oddometer:
    I think most of the handheld GPS units have that feature.
    My Garmin Etrex does and its pretty handy, just a quick glance at the arrow and you know which way to go to get to your destination. Good for hiking on twisty trails, especially if you want to bushwhack off trail.
  3. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I used my etrex once to ride to a buddys place I visited for the first time. Got coordinates from googlemaps, entered them, and drove away. Felt cool to navigate that way, and I didnt really have any big detours.
  4. Jarno123

Jarno123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You do realize that a regular compass also has 1 static line, which points to the direction you're heading/looking (if you're holding it the way it's meant to be held?
  5. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    The Dakar (ERTF) GPS does it, but it will cost you over $50,000 to use it for 2 weeks in January!
    [​IMG]

The problem with the Dakar GPS is the arrow only pops up when you are within 1 kilometer of a designated waypoint, and there are only a couple if any for each day. The rest of the course can only be followed from the roadbook since the GPS doesn't show the race course or any maps. http://www.ertf.com/uk/support_formations.asp

It looks like the Tripy does it, but I don't think much of anyone in the USA uses it since there are no maps for USA:
    http://www.tripy.eu/en
    [​IMG]
  6. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the US with all riding restricted to designated routes except in very small "Open" areas this would be of very little value. Yes there are a few sand dune Open areas where riding bee-line to a way point is possible but in 99.99% of the country, you must follow roads and that is what Tracks or Routes do for you.

Almost all GPS units have "Find" "Go To" feature that gives you a straight line from where you are now to any waypoint which is basically what you think is so neat. So yes just ride along the straight line and you get what you want also if you have "Track Up' on your map just keep the Waypoint at top center.
  7. everycredit

everycredit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like from the video that GPS didn't do the rider any good. :D
  8. Michelangelo

Michelangelo 2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer:

Oh is that what I thought was "so neat"? Wow, amazing. Glad your old middle aged, BMW riding self is here to help me out on that.
  9. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Way beyond "Middle Age", but on 525 EXC. Could never afford a BMW, can't ride like Jimmy Lewis, so it would be useless to me.
  10. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is why snowmobiles are awesome. :deal

[​IMG]
  11. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good point, no stinking designated trails only for oversnow vehicles.

However it rained all day Thursday then 70 degrees over the weekend in the Mojave!
  12. OlivierS

OlivierS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Tripy II does that, don't know about maps for the USA though...

[​IMG]