How to wheelie for starters

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by buildit, Mar 15, 2012.

1. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    Not a wheelie artist, if you will, but had a number of requests on a video about how to do a wheelie. Well, the only way I know is to wheelie for functional reasons like going over a log or deep rut. So if your looking to ride out a big stunters wheelie, ask a stunter who can teach you how to balance out and feather the clutch. For those wanting to see how to do it without the clutch, I hope this is of some value.:D

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dsF3ge1HxpE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  2. Mike_a

Mike_a aspiring adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is there a min cc limit to popping wheelies? Would you think its possible on a 200, or is it just too weak?
  3. Nanuq

Nanuq Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer:
    Point Hope, Sitka & Biorka Island- all in Alaska
    Thanks for the insight, is that a klr?:D
  4. schaffer40

schaffer40 I look lived in.....

Oddometer:
    It's all technique. I've seen videos of guys riding wheelies on 50cc bikes. Search it on youtube and we will see you back in a week after watching all of them. :D
  5. Rakthi

Rakthi So what happens next?

Oddometer:
    Long ago, when I was 16, I managed to pop wheelies on my 50cc Honda ...
  6. rbrsddn

rbrsddn 3banger

Oddometer:
    I learned how to wheelie on a 175cc Yamaha DT. I kept flipping it until I found the balance point. After a couple of years I got a Bultaco 250 Pursang. That bike was great for long ones.
  7. Tuna Helper

Tuna Helper Rawrr!

Oddometer:
    I've watched several wheelie videos, that was pretty good explaining and showing the process.
  8. Drilldogger

Drilldogger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed that. My 450 has no problem w/wheelies but my old 250 used to make me work a little harder. I'm the guy who is yanking back on the bars w/ straight arms. Not anymore.
    As far as the minimum cc s, the less power you have the more body english may be required, but anything can be wheelied. I have to be careful on my sons' TTR90 or the front wheel will come up and it's only b/c I'm sitting far back on the seat.
  9. buildit

Oddometer:
    Thank you, glad the video is useful. While not being an expert by any means I do know the torque, wheel base and tire grip all play into the overall equation, such that I've wheelied bikes as small as a KE100 and fought a V-max that wanted to wheelie at 100+mph. :lol3 Like any other riding skill it is developed thru practice, unless you're one of those lucky SOBs who can balance so well that walking a tight rope is like staying on the side walk for the rest of us. :rolleyes
  10. Sir Not Appearing

Sir Not Appearing That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer:
    Now, I’m going to be looking for some grass to practice wheelies on my EX500. They’re supposed to come up pretty easy especially with the LSL handlebars I have on it, but I’ve never really tried. Then maybe I’ll graduate to trying them on the Versys (supposed to be very easy to wheelie).<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
  11. buildit

Oddometer:
    If the Dl1000 can do it...... :deal

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MRshOLUUJsQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  12. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    While I can see an advantage to doing on on the trail.....and I've done some of that; not sure why you'd want/need to otherwise.
  13. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    Silly noob... a cool wheelie is the best way to impress traffic cops! :huh
  14. buildit

Oddometer:
    A short list of reasons to wheelie on the road.
    Pot hole
    bridge expansion joint
    uneven pavement transition
    Animal (cat sized, dead) in road
    Curb hop
    speed bump
    tree branch or 2x4 in road
    knowing how to handle a high speed front wheel lift (like the type you get on whoops at high speed)
    knowing the limits of the vehicle under heavy acceleration and how to control if you exceed them.

I'm sure there are other reasons other than impressing the neighborhood kids or the local hottie to lift the front on the road but you get the idea.:deal :D
  15. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've done it on a 50cc Honda Metro.... :wink:
  16. minusworld

minusworld Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If it has an engine, someone somewhere has lifted the wheel up on it.

The goofiest thing I've done it on was my friends 50cc Puch moped. Didn't have to get the wheel up far before the plate was dragging on the ground.

Good video on a functional power wheelie.
  17. buildit

Oddometer:
    Did that Puch look like this. :lol3
    [​IMG]
  18. astrolump

astrolump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks....that arm thing was a big help to me with the quick and dirty log wheelie...i have a 16t front sprocket on the klr and a heavy 18" wheel up front...i could always get it to come up by sliding back on the seat and doing the throttle chop thing, but it was not really something i could do in the nick of time to cross an obstacle....with your arm trick i can get it up with a roll on...(no chop) sitting up close to the tank....makes it much more useful on the trails.
  19. minusworld

minusworld Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Similar, the gas tank was around the downtube if I remember right though. It was "puch" green too. :D It's been a few years since I've seen it but I think this is it.
    [​IMG]
  20. buildit

Oddometer: