1971 DT1 "AZ" Special Motocross. Can anyone give me more info?

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by dannyb278, Mar 31, 2013.

1. dannyb278

dannyb278 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really dig the look of this bike, and might try to build a loose reproduction of it. Can anyone tell me more about this bike.All i know is that this 1970-71 Yamah DT1 was built by Don Jones and Barry Watkins for Cycle Guide.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. lrutt

lrutt SILENCE.....i kill you

Oddometer:
    Boy...don't know but that's not the Yammy rear wheel or swingarm, and that's not the Yammy front brake or forks I don't think. Actually I thnk the whole frame is different based on rear brake pedal and rar loop etc. So a lot of differences for sure. Love the air filter arrangement. Wonder whose pipe that is going throug the frame like that. Not GYT or Bassani as they sat on the outside of the frame like stock.
  3. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    yes that things is a whole lot of custom and other bikes parts.

the guys at Yamahaenduro.com I am sure can let you know what is up.. I also think that entire article is available online some where.

Ctune on this site can probably give you some info.
  4. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    Here is what I am going to guess, Champion frame and swingarm, rear wheel brakes look like a Maico set up, front looks like a Bultaco conical hub but also could be Maico, forks look like they have to be Betors or Cherrianis. Rims are Akront shouldered type, whic IMHO are the strongest best looking rims ever....but they pack up with mud. Tank is some fibreglass aftermarket deal probably Champion too. I don't remember that particular pipe but am sure it is all outlined in the article.
  5. cyclefreak13

cyclefreak13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the first mag issue of this build, and it was called the AZ because every part from a-z was modified. I will have to dig out the article but from what I remember. The frame is a champion, tank is Don Jones, pipe is Don Jones, Engine is from a DT1CMX, Forks are ceriani and lowers were turned on a lathe to lighten, Ignition is something special too. I dont have all the issues of the mag with the full build but it is very step by step. I will have to see if I can get it scanned and posted.

If I remember correctly Barry Watkins built the bike and wrote the article detailing its build.

Needless to say at 193lbs this bike was very trick for 1971.

Hope this helps,
    Devin
  6. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    60 cents an issue...

Gary Jones is pretty active in the VMX circles and travels to a lot of events across the country. His father Don carried on his back Yamaha's R&D of what/how/when and why of the DT1's that morphed into the first production YZ's. I'd be interested to hear what Gary or his brother DeWayne had to say about that bike it looks like a real beauty and I'll bet it hauls ass. Nice find.
  7. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like a Hodaka.
  8. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    Well, the Air filter looks a little like a Hodaka in that it is round, that is where the simularity ends for me...

[​IMG]
  9. baloneyskin daddy

Oddometer:
    The height and bend of the bars,the seat,shock mounts and location of rear axle all similar. A little beefier maybe for the bigger motor. I see an uncanny resemblance.
  10. cyclefreak13

cyclefreak13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok so I was able to dig out my copy of this build. Unfortunately I only have the first issue and it does not cover the whole build. This is what it has.

The stock bike. Stock 1971 Yamaha DT1MX total weight 246 lbs.

The cylinder is from the GYT kit and weighs 2lbs less than the stock cylinder.

The cylinder head is a Don Jones high comp head with twin plugs for the dual spark ignition.

The ignition is specially machined Kawasaki rotor, magneto, and stator plate.

The carb 34mm Mikuni road racing unit.

The triple tree is Don Jones 5 way adjustable for Yamahas. Only weighs 5 3/4 lbs.

The frame is a Champion MX chromoly and only weighs 17lbs.

The forks are stock 1971 Yamaha forks with 12 ounces shaved off by turning in a lathe 13lbs. Ceriani forks would have been 22lbs.

The front wheel is a stock AT1 hub 3 3/4lbs. The rear is a magnesium Rickman 5 3/4lbs. The rims are Baroni and the tires are dunlop 16lbs. All tied together with stainless steel spokes.

Unfortunately this is all I have, I need to get the Nov. 1971 issue. For some reason I believe there was also a third issue that finalized everything.

Devin
  11. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    It has two wheels,a frame,gas tank and seat. In that way it resembles a Hodaka.
    Or a Bultaco or Maico,kawasaki,suzuki, as well.
  12. baloneyskin daddy

Oddometer:
    So you're saying that you totally agree with me.:D
  13. silverdog

silverdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your just tryin to stir up trouble:D
  14. dannyb278

dannyb278 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the info. Judging by the trick and custom made parts on this bike, mine will be at best, a simlar paint job and slight resemblance to the bike using largly stock parts from different bikes.