Canyonlands Adventure Ride. May 2013

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by COXR650L, Dec 1, 2012.

1. hanksmybuddy

hanksmybuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Payment sent! :clap
  2. hanksmybuddy

hanksmybuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Concur...I'm all for the exploring thing! I'd be driving down from Bend a few days early.
  3. steinbeck65

steinbeck65 n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm signed up, thanks to Snooks for the pointer.

I'm all for the camping and exploring.
  4. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Here's a quick vid I threw together of Lockhart Basin, I did it fast so don't expect George Lucas quality but you'll get the idea :evil My son and I rode this last year, I sped the video up because he's new to dirt and we sorta plodded along, also the trail is 60miles of the same thing, you'll get the idea soon enough :lol3
  5. Wacked

Wacked Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pmt Sent!

Wacked
  6. _CJ

_CJ Sitting on pins and needles

Oddometer:
    Dumb question time.....

Does the Kokopelli part of this ride cross the river? I did a mountain bike race from Fruita to Moab on the Koko several years ago (1993?) and recall holding my bike over my head in fast moving chest deep water.
  7. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wacked...

Got you down, welcome.

_CJ.

None of the Koko goes through the river. Maybe there is a non-moto portion that has a section in the river, but I did not think so.
  8. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    you cross at the hwy 128 bridge next to Dewey Bridge
  9. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Michigan from the Rocky Mountain High Country
    Paid!

With any luck RF will let me in his group, I think I can hang, at least for awhile :evil

I'd be up for starting/ending in Rabbit Valley. I bring all my camping gear, but at some point I'm gonna want a hot shower, maybe even every night, whether it be @ a campground of whatever.

It will be great to ride with the Southern Chile Riders again, it's been way to long.
  10. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:
    42 mpg out of a 650 is pretty good. My berg got aroud 34. And any of my 510 KTM averaged about 38.
  11. dmac1

dmac1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What ave mpg do most of ya get that have or had a KTM 450 RFS motor? Mines an 06, stock gearing.

Thanks.
  12. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Not really, most guys are getting around 50 for DS riding on the XRR. Even with a pumper
  13. AKASY

AKASY Noob

Oddometer:
    07 525 50mpg dirt.

14. _Magoo_

_Magoo_ master of disaster....

Oddometer:
    MPG
    06 450EXC 50MPG dirt.....
  15. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    this ride's in May....right? :lol3

I want to ride Kokopelli again, but I'll probably haul to Moab and leave my truck there. I'll carry camping gear, but if we're near a town with a motel I'll take advantage of that when possible - but I'm good with backcountry too.

I'll be in some places I haven't seen before, so I'll be riding a good pace but wanting to stop and take pictures too.

The 310 is capable of 60+mpg, but it's capacity is limited to 3 gallons plus a few Primus bottles (another gallon total)
  16. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL I know it is a long ways away, but this got a lot more interest then I expected.

I think you will enjoy exploring the ruins etc, it is very cool country and a lot of fun riding in the area after we dump the camping gear.

Id say at 60mpg and a 3 gallon tank you will be set:dealt.

17. AKASY

AKASY Noob

Oddometer:
    I plan on meeting the early group in Rabbit Valley and then Kokopelli into Moab. Will link up with RF there along with the rest of the---umm--group:D leaving on the 3rd.
    Just put me on the info list (where when what time etc) for Rabbit Valley--guess I will need a motel there on the night of the 1st. Motel in Moab on the 2nd, motel in Blanding on the 3rd, sleeping bag for the 4th and enough full MSR bottles to keep Blakebird's bike running--do I have that about right?:ear
  18. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Fixed your typo. :clap
    That looks like a perfect relief to fast dirt roads that do tend to get a bit boring after a few hours.

Also, RideFreak, at around 7:45 into your earlier Flint Trail video I think at that part of the road, the soil looks like that nasty grey clay that, when wet, turns into either greased ice or the stickiest-lock-up-your-tire-to-your-fork-tubes crap I have ever been stuck in. (well, in the West at least!) When you get off your bike and it just stands there and you can't even push it over if you tried because of the 100 pounds of concrete molded around each tire. <sigh> I still have visions of how depressed I was on that trip but hey I was the only motorcycle with 2 guys in their old Land Cruiser -- so this time we are all in it together! :lol3

[​IMG]

Just wonderin' if anyone else has had the pleasure of being stuck in this crap in the middle of nowhere besides me? :lol3 So for me rain is always an issue on some of these trails. This is not the Rockies boyz and there ain't a lot you can do about it 'cept change elevation. Ever seen the maps there that have perfectly flat roads that are marked "impassable when wet"?? hehe... yeah. And you ride them and see the 2 foot deep ruts but it's dry and scorching hot and you wonder? yep that's the ones. Hope for a classic dry desert weekend!

One more note Senor Dubinky, when you said that high trail was bone dry last April... that was 2012 right? :lol3 Well we can only HOPE it is a muddy mess like "normal" this year, I mean we DO need some damn SNOW around the firezone we call the Front Range, right?

ok whining off, we can adjust on the fly in the rare event it is stormy...

I'm psyched! This is the anticipation that will help me make it through the winter! THANKS!
    </sigh>
  19. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Just a suggestion, Senor Dubinky, you might want to move this signup list to your first post and keep it updated there. That way we can all find it in the future more easily as this thing evolves over the next few months.

For the 2 camping groups (not the "blast to Blanding" group), another thought, do you want to maybe split it up into a "faster" and "not faster" groups? Might keep the peace better. Not saying the fast group won't stop as much, just might keep a faster pace.
    Now figuring out what "fast" means is not simple, e.g. I'm on a bigger 650 with less clearance and medium knobbies, so I may think I want in the faster group but won't pace with a fast dirt bike over rocky obstacles. Just an idea, especially for those that know they want to go slower.

For me, I plan on starting and finishing in Moab and camping every night. (But a shower or an extra water source for a head dip at least, would be a welcome option every day or 2)...

20. _Magoo_

_Magoo_ master of disaster....

Oddometer:
    Senor Dubinky:

although I have been known to consume a burger or 3 on occasion; my ADV handle is "burque" magoo, as in the slang nickname for Albuquerque.......:lol3

Izzit May yet? :ricky