Is $5k too much money for my first airhead?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by heffy, Jan 13, 2010.

1. jtwind

jtwind Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer:
    Ok, I don't agree with the masses. /5's and especially toasters have picked up in price and desireablity the last year or two. If it's truely the mileage listed and it is a gem that's about what you can expect to pay. I sold one with 33,000 in May for $5250 less than 24 hours after posting in on ADVrider. A buddy sold his r60/5 low mileage very nice toaster at the same time for $4500.00. I'm not saying I wouldn't offer the guy $4250 or something to start but it's not out of line with what I've experienced and seen lately.

Some airheads have suffered more than others in value the last couple years, the r100gs's for one and lots of your "normal" /6-/7 etc airheads, but r90s's, slash 5's and r80g/s haven't nearly as badly
  2. Yarddog

Yarddog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll share something that works well for me...if it's something that you just don't HAVE to have right now, like that briefcase probably was, I'd wait to make first contact...wait two, three weeks...even if the ad gets pulled, I'd wait...after that time, either it's been sold, OR...the guy's figured out that he's asked too much, OR...nobody's responded because his asking price is way too high...thataway, you're gonna meet with a softened seller...he just ain't gonna be as frisky as he once was...

Take only enough cash with you to meet the highest amount you'd be willing to pay before you walk away...not ten bucks more...Look at the bike, ride it, if there are owies or blemishes, say nothing, but simply rub your hand over them, or eyeball them very closely. Don't believe the seller when he says he's entertaining other offers...if he was, he'd of sold it by then. Don't believe him when he says he has others coming to look at it...by that time, nobody cares any more. When you're done lookin' and jawin', whip out your roll and offer cash...for whatever amount you figure is fair... negotiate up to the amount of cash you've got...if you don't close the deal, walk away. Don't make a standing offer. Just walk away. Tell the seller you're gonna look at a couple more that afternoon. Lie. It's ok.

Follow up a week or two later. Same offer...maybe even less. Do this until you figure it ain't ever gonna work.

You'd be surprised just how well this technique works. It requires discipline and patience.
  3. heffy

heffy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap nice post man. Thanks a bunch.

But I needed that exact briefcase :( haha

I e-mailed the seller... he said he's asking that much because he put a lot of money to make it run. He's negotiable, but he said I'm not going to get a bargain either.
  4. Yarddog

Yarddog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As a rabid buyer, your point of view is that the bike is worth only so much, REGARDLESS of how much HE put into it...there is a point with any project or vehicle where one has to ask oneself this question...If I put one more dime into this machine, will I ever get one more dime out of it? If the answer is NO, then ya sell the thing unless you're willing to take a loss. These days, more and more, sellers are willing to take a loss...

Here's my example...I bought a Harley about 5 years ago that a buddy and I had built from the ground up about 12 years prior...the only used parts on the thing were the engine cases, because they had numbers, otherwise, everything else was brand new...it cost my pal over $32,000 to build it. I bought it for $7,000, which was a phenomenal deal at the time...You couldn't touch a Big Twin of any sort at the time for under ten grand. I put another $7000-8000 into it since then.

Two years ago, I wanted to sell it to buy that same buddy's Ultra...this was at the beginning of the current depression...I advertised it initially for $13,500, went down eventually to $12,000, ran the ad for TWO MONTHS before I pulled it...wasn't gonna sell it for under that amount...today, I doubt that I could get my original $7000 out of it, because newer and better stuff is goin' for less than that...

The point is this: Today's rules pre-empt yesterday's rules...You, the buyer, are in the driver's seat. NOT the seller. No more emails or telephone commos except to make an appointment. All further jawing or negotiation takes place in person, otherwise, the guy won't take you seriously...and take your time about making the appointment. Time is on your side. If there are guys on this forum telling you what they've told you, which is what I'm telling you, then there are guys in your region who might be interested in this bike who know exactly the same thing. Take your time. This doesn't appear to be the only 1972 BMW around, and you don't need to spend a dime more than necessary...you're gonna spend puhlenty of that making this bike your very own, no matter how good a shape it's in!!!

Just my opinion, I hope you don't think I'm gettin' preachy, but this kinda deals works real well for me!!! Best of luck to ya, my friend...and don't forget to follow up and let us know what happens!
  5. heffy

heffy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not preachy at all! I appreciate the long posts. Thanks for typing that all out :D

I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes.
  6. Yarddog

Yarddog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I shouldn't be giving away my secrets, at least for free, but, hey, I doubt that I'm gonna be negotiating with anyone that frequents this forum anyway...the fly in the ointment is the guy that has more money than sense that comes along and is willing to pay that five grand, no matter what, but just don't YOU be that fool!!! :deal
  7. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    The value of a /5 really depends on the condition and any recent work/upgrades.

A very clean-looking but untouched /5 will require several thousand dollars of work, if not right away, then very shortly.

I would look for one that has been throughly mechanically updated, by someone that knows what they are doing. In that sense I don't think $4500-$5k is out of line. However I wouldn't pay much more than $2500-$3k for a project bike, as they get pricey really quickly.

A tip to tail rejuvenation on my 1971 /5 cost thousands of dollars in PARTS ALONE, not to mention labour and time.

dc
  8. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Boy, things change.

Toaster Tank models were ignored, sold cheap, and generally unloved by the BMW faithful when they came out. The lollipop colors just didn't cotton to the "all BMWs are black" crowd. A lot of them had the tanks tossed, the side covers too, and converted to "Black Beauties".

Back in the early 80's you could buy Toaster Tank models all day for $1000. I did, 4 times. When I made $500 on them when I sold them, I was happy as a pig in poop.
  9. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Yes, an old friend of mine was telling me the same thing. The toasters were not at all popular until much later. I still prefer the standard black large-tank bikes, but that's just a personal thing.

Pricing just seems to keep going up and up. Tried to price out a decent slash-2 lately?? :eek1

dc
  10. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Long timer

Oddometer:
    How things USEd to be is pretty irrelevant. I used to buy R60's and R69's for 5 or 6 hundred- and they were good running bikes. So what?

It's worth whatever you're willing to pay.
    I sold a super low-miles GB500 with some goodies like a Pit Bull, new tires, manual, etc. for $5K. He gets home and says "his friend" told him he paid too much. :fyyff :becca
    Bottom line- you're looking at an older bike. What's it worth to YOU and are you willing to take a chance on something cheaper coming along later? If you're likely to have buyers remorse, watch prices more, make a decision, and don't listen to anyone later. Don't even tell anyone what you paid.
  11. heffy

heffy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I just bought my first airhead. NOT the one that I originally asked about. Instead, I bought a 1973 R75/6 with 16k miles!

and I got a fantastic deal on it too! This is seriously one of those "holy crap, you got a great deal" instances. Comes with front fairing and plastic saddlebags.

It runs, but it died on me while taking a test ride. I put the choke on full throttle and moved a small lever on the right (something about 'reserve', but I'm not quite sure what it is) and it fired right back up. I think the engine might not be getting enough gas without the choke on full speed.

Anyway, I paid for the bike and took the title home. I'm gonna call a few friends to see if they can give me a ride to pick it up tomorrow. Plus, it's only like 10 miles from my home! :clap
  12. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    good stuff. You have yourself a fine, fine bike indeed. Except you just bought a /5, if it's a 1973. If it's a /6, some of them had '73 date codes on the VIN for when they were built, but they were 1974 models (like many other bikes).

If it only has 16k miles and hasn't been kept up to snuff, be prepared to replace every piece of rubber on the bike. Good winter project!

dc
  13. heffy

heffy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry, it's a 1976. It'll definitely be an adventure!
  14. mark1305

mark1305 Old Enough To Know Better Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats! I fell into the airhead quagmire 2 years ago as of November with the R80 ST. Despite it being pretty good condition bike, it has demanded the attention to all the little (and old) bits & pieces as you would expect of a 27 year old bike(and sadly one big item - transmission stored too long with water in the oil). Despite that, and an ongoing challenge to make the seat and my butt get along peacefully for more than 2 hours at a time, the bike continues to grow on me. From what many folks on here post, that is a common phenomenon. Expect to invest some more $$ into the airhead experience. In the end, the good days experienced will make you never even think about totalling up the receipts.:D And as you get everything sorted properly you will end up with a nice dependable ride that is like very little else out there on two wheels.

Pics when you get some, please.
  15. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Excellent, that's the best year! (updated tranny, better forks, etc.).

dc
  16. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    yep, i'd get an 80gs pd before this one, any day, for this sort of $!
  17. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:

Sounds like you got a great deal, and need some learning soon.
    There is a lever on the side (or sides) of the fuel tank
    on the later bikes if the long end of the lever is point up toward's the sky
    that's the reserve. if it's pointing to the front or rear of the bike
    That's off.

Good luck and post pictures.
    Also If you've not taken a class I highly recomend taking a motorcycle safety class.
  18. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    yeah sure, i agree, but why now and here? sounds like my 'ol grannie.:scratch
  19. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    Yea, um 'cause the OP didn't know where/what the petcock was...
    Is kind of a tip-off that they are a new rider.

And stalling in traffic could get you killed. And I don't like motorcycle riders getting killed.
  20. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    i see. good point. i assumed anyone doing this is so into bikes that the skill levels are right up there. here that's generally the case.