Need Help in Labrador

Discussion in 'Canada' started by UKbri, Jul 8, 2013.

1. UKbri

UKbri Just a Rider

Oddometer:
    Hi all
    So my girlfriend took a dive on the TLH between Goose Bay and Port Hope Simpson. Result - broken leg and a flight to St John hospital. I managed to get me and her bike back to Goose Bay. Anyone know anyone who does regular trips from Goose to Red Bay area in a pick up to get it down there (or any where near there, even St john) ? Need some where to store it as well for a few months. I've got crap internet and low battery so sorry for the short message.
    Any help would be incredible
    Thank you
  2. smoothride

smoothride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The guy's over at ridetherock.com are in those area's all the time you should give them a try.
  3. Muskokan

Muskokan n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about the broken leg. I had a similar experience last year and found Frenchies Outdoor shack in Happy Valley-Goose Bay to be extremely helpful. They looked after storing and crating my bike and arranging shipping back to Ontario. Marty Slade was the guy and I can't say enough about how helpful and fair he was. The number was 709-896-8364.
  4. UKbri

UKbri Just a Rider

Oddometer:
    I went to Frenchies. Seems like they can sort it out. Thanks for the advise.
  5. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sent you a PM.
  6. tedmarshall

tedmarshall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let us know.
  7. UKbri

UKbri Just a Rider

Oddometer:
    She was flown down to St John for surgery and is now recovering. It isn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be but it's still a bad break. Steel rod through the bone and a few screws that will all stay in. I rode down on my own from Goose Bay and arrived today (Fri). We'll see how she feels about getting back on in a couple of months. Maybe a Ural next :wink:
    Thanks for all the help and concern :clap. We are finding the Lab/Nfl folk to be extremely friendly and helpful
  8. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    If you are in St John's NL (not St John NB) feel free to pm me as I have anything you may need. A place to stay, laundry or whatever.
  9. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear she's on the mend.

Loose gravel the cause?
  10. UKbri

UKbri Just a Rider

Oddometer:
    Yeah, some patches up there were really deep, like riding on marbles. It was really windy too so it was a combination of wind, getting trapped in a rut, loose gravel and falling awkwardly.
    On a better road now though.....the one to recovery.
  11. Newfiebullet

Newfiebullet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, I went to Cartwright and back on the weekend, and there were sections that were downright scary.

The Trans-Lab is getting more and more civilized, but it still has it's challenges.
  12. TheBreeze2010

TheBreeze2010 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Planning a TLH crossing mid/late August from Lab City to Blanc Sablon
    and to St. Johns. Ferry to NS from there. Been up the west side of NF only. I am riding a Goldwing (2008) and rode this bike up the Alaskan
    highway/ Dalton Highway/ and returned on the Cassiar highway thru BC. from Florida. Road looks comparable Yes???????. I was reading about the
    broken leg ordeal. Found a lot of info on this site for the Alaska trip which was 20,000 miles and 66 days. Any info would be awesome.

Thanks,

Jim (Florida)
  13. UKbri

UKbri Just a Rider

Oddometer:
    I did the Dalton a couple of years ago. I would say they are nothing like each other. The Dalton (for me) didn't have any loose deep gravel. It was all slop, dirt and shit. The deep gravel and graded sections of the TLH where like marbles. I wouldn't discourage anyone from doing it as it is unique and an experience but I definitely wouldn't recommend doing it on a Harley......unless you've got TKC80's on it. The condition of the TLH changes daily so what could have been shit for me maybe great the next day.
  14. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    I tell everyone who will listen, and those that won't, to install a steering damper. Makes a huge difference in safety and comfort.

It'll take you from going 50 mph and wobbling to 90 mph and feeling solid like a freight train :deal
  15. UKbri

UKbri Just a Rider

Oddometer:
    On a slightly different note, we may need some accommodation soon for a couple of months. So if you know of a Holiday let, Apartment, room, cottage or anything cheap, preferable on the outskirts of St John's we'd like to hear about it. Thanks Y'all.
  16. SturgisChick

SturgisChick Born and Raised in Sturgis, SD

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much to the wonderful people of Labrador and Newfoundland for helping me in my time of need. I can't tell you much I appreciate all the support and assistance I've been given. The people from this part of the world have to be some of the most generous and kind people on the planet. Leg is mending well and I'm nearly at 3 weeks post-surgery. Hoping to be back on the bike in early fall. Wishing you all happy riding!

Michelle
    www.sturgischick.com