640 Adv Cockpit Project

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Trevor S, Aug 31, 2005.

1. makazica

makazica Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it possible that somebody posts an actual picture of the things that need to be done for the lights to be on together. Is it necessary to get a relay to do this?
    Thank you, electrics is not my thing.
  2. PlavaKuca

PlavaKuca xxx

Oddometer:
    Evo, nadjoh u garazi...
  3. KTM_Paul

KTM_Paul Sans KTM

Oddometer:
    Cut which wire? :huh

[​IMG]
  4. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a aftermarket supplier of the bomb squad gear? I don't want to pay KTM prices for that! :eek1
  5. KTM_Paul

KTM_Paul Sans KTM

Oddometer:
    I wonder what that stuff would do if the bomb exploded? I don't expect you'd be getting up and walking away, and if you did survive it you'd probably wish you were dead anyway!? :huh
  6. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I don't really know, but ballistic Kevlar is supposedly bad ass shit, so if it is designed properly not much should get through it.
  7. makazica

Oddometer:
    First of all,
    thank you Plava Kućo! You are the man!!
    Hvala ti i za sve drugo! Razgovarao sam s jednim tapetarom i kaže da bi mi mogao malo podići Renazco sic koji ti imaš, pa kad skupim lovu javim se, kaže da bi me to koštalo cca 200kn.

Ballistic kevlar....helps, but this close, he might as well be naked dancing a funky chicken.

Check Plava Kuca's garage sale, the man has loads of goodies.
  8. PlavaKuca

PlavaKuca xxx

Oddometer:

Page deleted, post was to old...

Inace ono gore moze i bez osiguraca, ja ih nisam stavljao, samo spojis zice...
    Onako treba izgledati kada je gotovo.

Sto se tice tapetara, nema problema, ako ti to pase...
  9. makazica

Oddometer:
    As electrics are not my thing, I need a little help with wiring both headlights together....I own a 2001 Adv. model and even though I have seen the diagram I cant figure out what I need to do, so please help....step by step....
    Here's the pic of how It looks on my bike.....

[​IMG]

I don't plan on including a fuse, I have info it is going to work without it as I don't use heated grips or heated west's...

Thank you!
  10. PlavaKuca

PlavaKuca xxx

Oddometer:
    Heba ga patak....

1. utikač na fotki desno
    2. poanta je struju sa smeđe-zelene žice, gornji red 2. (srednja) žica
    spojiti na žutu, donji red 1. (lijeva) žica

znači npr. odrežeš žutu malo dalje od utikača, dio te žute koji je ostao na utikaču spojiš nekako na smeđe zelenu žicu, (stopicom ili skineš izolaciju na smeđe zelenoj pa pričvrstiš žutu, ostatak žute u glavnom kablu izoliraš i zaboraviš.

[​IMG]
  11. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've just recently acquired an '07 640 Adv and very much appreciate those of you who have left this kind of information here for folks like me to find. I DO have one question if it's not TOO long after the fact; I installed / wired the relay as indicated on the diagram and the high / low beans do indeed stay on together, BUT there is (I believe as I'm a certified electridiot) an unintended consequence; since the Acc Pwr Point is not controlled by the ignition switch, the headlights (at least the low beam) will stay on after the ignition is switched off. This can be remedied (short term) by switching the headlights to high beam (then both lights go off), but I'm afraid it's all too easy to forget this minor maneuver and leave the low beam on until the battery suffers... Any suggestions on how to solve this dilemma?

I did search around the cockpit area for some other larger ignition controlled wires that would be a potential source of power for the relay, but didn't have much luck.
  12. angryad

angryad Don't drop the soap.

Oddometer:
    when i did mine, i ran a complete new power wire for the relay.
    saved all the stuffing round

I think.............?
  13. LeglessOne

LeglessOne Long timer

Oddometer:
    :dunno Don't know why youd go to all that trouble.When i fitted the hid's i had a look at the drawing for the bike and you could put a bridge in so that the low stayed on all the time and everything else played as per normal.

If i get a chance after I've had some sleep I'll look at the drawing and post up where i put the bridge (ie -jioned in a 2 inch piece of wire from one wire to another)

Shane
  14. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    +1. The std wires are hopeless for the lights, that's why they glow a dim orange (no pun intended). ADVPete just ran proper wires from the battery and used relays, the difference was night and day once the lights got a fat juicy feed. I did the same, ran a separate feed from the battery and relays, but I also went HID. For HID you really need an on/off switch, as the draw at startup is quite high and can make it hard to crank the starter.

An on/off switch isn't a bad idea anyway. Hard-wired lights on a freezing cold morning sucks the juice from the battery, and it will struggle to turn the bike over.
  15. angryad

angryad Don't drop the soap.

Oddometer:
    yeah, i'm running HID's too. i'm actually struggling to remember how i did it exactly. I'm sure i used that diagram above though.
  16. twotyred

twotyred Practising Recedivist

Oddometer:
    I run the power wire for the low beam relay from the parking light. This means that my low beam come on when I switch from OFF to PARK and stay on permanently. When I switch to MAIN, I can use the high beam. Low beam still stays on.

I am running 55w HID, 4,500K bulbs. Best thing I have ever done to this bike.
  17. paddyhannen

paddyhannen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    unrelated to the lights discussion, where do i find your picture thingo and how do i get it onto my desktop background?
  18. paddyhannen

paddyhannen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sorry boys, that was aimed at the legless one with the boobs.
  19. Gregidy

Gregidy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have just come up with a trick way to do this. on my 05 I have a flash switch like a trigger on the front of my headlight switch I i ran a toggle to those 2 wires the green/black stripe, and white and now I can have low beam high beam and flip the toggle and get both just a different approach thought id share :evil
  20. tinbasher

tinbasher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Living up here in the frozen north I had a different need. When putting around in the late fall with heated grips turned on and lugging in second and third gear because it can , I was killing battery due to low rpm. So I unhooked low beam from wire harness and ran auxiliary wire from heated grip relay to switch and then to low beam. This way I can run low beam/high beam / no beam or all beam. Happy happy happy