R1200GS easier to ride than F800GS?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Migs, Jan 18, 2013.

1. oldfool

oldfool Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have ridden the 800gs and the 1200gs. I own the 1200 hp2. If you are wondering which to get, find an hp2. It's way easier to ride offroad then the other two. Besides doing everthing else better. IMHO Richard
  2. Migs

Migs Sometimes we cry with everything except tears.

Oddometer:
    I was also looking at the HP2 until I googled to find it has been discontinued.
  3. Hendo66

Hendo66 Hendo66

Oddometer:
    Have owned both after recently moving up to the 1200, I find it an "easier" bike to ride overall for the following reason taking into account most of my riding is on the black stuff or dirt roads.

* smoother power delivery and no snatchy throttle
    * ease of braking balance with linked brakes, lazy I know
    * better wind protection
    * no dive in the front end
    * better long distance manners, more comfortable etc
    * better carrying capability of luggage, pillion
    * lower centre of gravity, better balanced
    * gearbox is more positive
    * steering requires less input

All in my opinion if its of any use to OP
  4. Migs

Migs Sometimes we cry with everything except tears.

Oddometer:
    Thanks Hendo66!

All good comments about the bike. -Migs
  5. GapRunr

GapRunr Well Known Hermit

Oddometer:
    I keep reading all these comments about how the 800 must be easier to ride off road because of the difference in weight.

Has anyone actually looked at the specs? Based on BMW's numbers from their web site for wet weight, ready to ride, fully fueled.... the oil cooled R12GS is 32 pounds heavier than the F8GS. Another interesting tidbit is that the 800 has a wheelbase 2.9 inches *longer* than the 1200 and the overall length is 4.3 inches *longer*.

For a 32 pound penalty you get a shorter bike with a lower center of gravity, lower seat height, and the power characteristics of a tractor with a ton of low end torque.

The new R1200GS waterboxernotoilboxerh2oboxathonwhateverthenicknamewillbe is another 21 pounds heavier bringing the difference to 53 pounds... Depending where that weight is, it might start to get noticeable but it might not.
  6. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 800 IS NOT (IMHO) EASIER TO RIDE OFF-ROAD!
    The R1200GS clutch is like a tractor. It requires MUCH less precision off road than, what I felt to be, the more sensitive 800 clutch. The 1200's clutch is absudly easy to modulate, it's CoG is low, it chugs along nicely. I found the the F800GS's clutch to be MUCH more sensitive, as soon as the clutch is in all uphill forward momentum is lost, it feels tall and it is harder to upright when laying in dirt.
    But, I have seen the 800 do amazing things in the right hands. I just think that the 1200 is easier for novice/mid-level off-roaders.
    RidgelineRider likes this.
  7. kellymac530

kellymac530 motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    GapRunr,
    Not sure where you are getting your specs, but right off of the BMW Motorrad USA site:

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html

The weight difference fueled and ready to ride is 53 lbs....that is substantial. I am not argueing whether it is easier or harder to ride...that is this discussion and there is alot of support for the 12 even off road. I am merely talking about pure riding weight. Then the difference in the GSA, mostly fuel and crash bars, is ANOTHER 39 lbs for a total of 92 lbs more than a 800.

I do agree that with bags and the jugs sticking out and acting like a kick stand of sorts, the 11/12 bikes are possibly easier to pick up, on DRY ground. In mud the jugs make act like anchors burying into the mud...both bikes have pros and cons.

For the average BMW rider, I would say the 12 is a bit more practical bike that the 800, but that does not discount the fun factor of a more dirt bike feeling GS that you get with the 800.

ps: Yes the 800 has a longer wheelbase, but the longer Overall length is a combo of the extra wheelbase combined with a 21" front wheel over the 19" on the 1200. That may add length, but that also adds off road capabilities...I know there has been discussions on that here, but a 21" is better in most off road situations. +1 point for the 800 off road. Easier ? Insert Personal opinion here...
  8. GapRunr

Oddometer:
    That's the new water cooled GS. Hence why I said "the oil cooled R12GS is 32 pounds heavier than the F8GS". I assumed we were talking about the oil cooled 1200 since people were providing anectodal comparisons, which would be difficult to do with a bike that hasn't really hit the streets yet. The ADV on BMW's site is still an oil cooled bike. I would expect that a water cooled ADV would be heavier, which means it will probably be at least 100 pounds more than an F800GS. That's going to heavily offset any advantages the lower CoG, better clutch feel, power delivery. etc. brings to the party. Given the overall size of an oil cooled ADV, it's amazing it doesn't way a lot more. What's really stunning is that it weighs *less* than BMW's new 650 Scooter.

Only BMW would make their F800GS comparatively lighter by increasing the weight of the next bike up the food chain!

:lol3
  9. kellymac530

kellymac530 motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Gap,
    I was wrong, that figure was the water cooled...my bad.
    I went back and found the 2012 OIL head R1200GS specs on that same site, under "other bikes" and it states the R1200 weight as 516 lbs and the f800 as 472 lbs...I get 44 lbs difference....but either way, I still choose the 1200..personally.
  10. GapRunr

Oddometer:
  11. BillAllen

BillAllen aka OlGeezer

Oddometer:
    This doesn't directly respond to your question, but two BIG things I don't like about the F800GS relative to the R1200GS are (1) tubed tires and (2) chain drive.
    Adanac rider likes this.
  12. Pickup man

Pickup man Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fully agree with Bill Allen. I didnt like the vulnerablity of the big radiator right behind
    the front wheel either. Love my 1200 GSA and dont think it gets enough credit for
    its off road capability. The bike is incredibly balanced and with one third tank of fuel
    takes most top heaviness away.
  13. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
    I heard the 800 forks are junk, non rebuild-able and non adjustable.

We did 10K miles with an 800. It kept up with two GSAs but the forks were pogo sticks and it costs about $2k plus to correct them.

Always ride every bike you can get your hands on. Its way better than reading about it.
  14. little foot

little foot seriously not serious

Oddometer:
    This