Am I asking for a flat?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by grant22, Jul 2, 2013.

1. grant22

grant22 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's been really hot here in AZ and wanted to day trip the bike to the higher elevations where it's cooler today. My concern is, with hd tubes at proper pressure, and an ambient high of 124 degrees for about an hour till I get into the higher elevations, am I asking for a flat due to tube failure? This would be at around 80 mph for an hour in that heat.

Let me know if I'm being a Sally or not, please.

Sure, I could be in the lake, but I'm really itching to ride my new 990. I've only put 180 miles on 'er so far.
  2. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    I've spent many days in Death Valley with UHD riding at this speed in this temp and never had an issue.... But it doesn't mean it can't happen obviously.
  3. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd ride.
  4. grant22

grant22 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, thanks dudes. Off I go.
  5. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    You're only asking for a flat if you don't carry a spare tube.:evil Be prepared and be OK.
  6. grant22

grant22 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Truer words have never been spoken.
    I was just curious if all things considered, would it be negligent to ride and expect the tubes to not overheat and blow. Spare tubes will travel with me on this 'light' adventure ride, don't want to start out behind the eight ball. Tubed street tires/wheels are very new for me.
  7. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Maybe drop 3-4 PSI from your std pressure to allow a little more for heat build up then go and enjoy.
  8. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    I thought lower pressures generated more heat?
  9. kennyd

kennyd kennyd

Oddometer:
    lower pressure will cause higher temperature! more flex more squirm more heat! higher starting pressure will lower internal temperature.!!
  10. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    If too low then definately.

Yes it will IF it is too low.

Dropping it slightly from full road pressure won't induce any more heat unless you go to low then yes definately it will.

At temps the op is talking the tire is going to super heat regardless thus dropping the pressure slightly should help with over inflation from heat.

It also depends very much on the type of tyre too, we run 33 PSI in our Heidy rear two up with house and contents here in Central America because of heat and it doesn't seem to have any ill effect on handling or squirm, well no more than they normally walk around the twisties.
  11. grant22

grant22 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did two hundred miles today, 50/50 slab and trail. All went well and was a blast. Came home with a dehydration headache tho!
  12. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    WOW! I must be a carefree soul. People come up with things to worry about that never in my 58 years even entered my mind.:hmmmmm
  13. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    High ambient temperatures require high tyre pressures to be on the safe side. The tyre temperature will be higher than the ambient in any case. Therefore, you start off with a higher than normal temperature in order to minimize tyre rolling friction.
  14. alpo996

alpo996 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
  15. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    ...and no one died and smile was gained ... perfect!!:clap

I agree with this, 36 years of riding and 40 bikes later the differences at "our" level are negligable unless you are out of the norm by quite a bit.
  16. grant22

grant22 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my 36 years I've never critiqued someone for asking a question in order to play it safe.

All factors considered, I think it's smart to ask the question, especially after my bike rear flatted on the road at 22 miles on the odo. The cause? Faulty crappy tube. The valve failed where it meets the tube. I'm sure 100 degree weather didn't help, either.

I never asked, 'can I ride my new bike on the road without the tube failing before 25 miles?' Maybe I should have.
  17. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    One thing about ADVrider- it's very rare when a thread goes by that someone does not try to prove they are an all-powerful and all-knowing force by criticizing and demeaning others.

One wonders how incredibly tiny and insignificant these people are that stoop that low.

Ignore them. You asked a legitimate question based on your own experience and did not deserve to be the target of the small-minded.
  18. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Trouble is everyone has an opinion based on their experience and I am no different, my experience tells me to lower in minimally so it is not overstressed and others say harder, the decision is yours based on your knowledge of the factors and how it will effect you based on ideas given here.

10 people will give 10 different answers and based on temperature, loading, speed, tube quality (as your rightly pointed out) tire type etc all make a huge difference.

sieg does have a point that maybe sometimes we look into stuff a little deep when get on and ride is just as good.

Anyway, glad you made at there and back with only a headache... that is not a bad day out.:clap
  19. grant22

grant22 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's cool.

I've got two more questions ill be asking (still researching them tho).

We'll see how many bitchin' dudes come out of the wood work on those.

And correct, moto kiwi, not a bad day at all. Fuggin' sweet as a matter of fact.

Now I'm off to go take the jet ski out. I better get on the jet ski forum and ask if the lake is too wet today.
  20. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Got some pics?? :clap

Ouwh and be careful of the water it is dangerous :evil ... a mate of mine whose son was talking with a guy .... :rofl