Rear rack for R90/6?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by type918, Dec 2, 2012.

1. type918

type918 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would like to add a small rack to my daily driver R90/6. Is there a stand-alone rack (one that doesn't require mounting to side case racks)? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
  2. Boxer Metal

Boxer Metal Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
  3. type918

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. I really don't care for the look of the Reynolds (yeah, picky, I know). I've been searching eBay and came up with a couple of possibilities. One is identified as a Krauser, the other is not specifically identified but the mounting looks similar to the Krauser, And it's $80 less. Sorry, but I don't know how to link to the eBay listing.
  4. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Linking to anything else is the easy way. Just Copy the URL at the top of the page and then Paste it in your message. If this still doesn't make any sense to you send me a PM (that's a private message) and I'll walk you though it.

I also had checked Ebay for items and think anything currently listed is too expensive. You gotta play the waiting game unless you like to spend money.
  5. type918

Oddometer:
  6. Boxer Metal

Oddometer:
  7. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    You need a rack that fits a /6 or a /5. It may or may not matter if it is a Short Wheel Base /5. Long Wheel Base /5 and /6 racks will fit not problems. I think /7 might fit. After looking at enough of these auctions for a long enough time you will be the expert and you can tell me.

You search Ebay in motorcycle parts for "rack" Used, not working or for parts, Auction and Ebay will send you an Email every time a new auction appears for what they think is your item. You have to wade through the stuff that is not what you want until you get lucky and one of the ones acceptable to your eye and at a price that is not too much of a rip off shows up.

It's a waiting game. If you need this sooner rather than later you pay the junk dealer prices. They usually have their stuff listed with a Buy It Now price.
  8. type918

Oddometer:
    bmweuro and disston:

This is just the information I need. That's why this site (and its inmates) are such a treasure. Many thanks.
  9. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    This just showed up on Ebay today. This is an individual selling stuff as a service. Trying to find use for his old junk maybe. Not what I call a dealer that is trying to make a killing. Not really against somebody making a living but some of the prices are ridiculous.

I think this fits your bike. Condition is not great but it would clean up some and if it's what you want you can have it re-chromed.

It also comes with the rear sub-frame for some reason. Shows how they hook up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Motorcy...Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c250af63&vxp=mtr
  10. type918

Oddometer:
    Many thanks, Charlie. Got my eye on it.:D
  11. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    That is a good rack-- I've used one like it on my bike.

The price is almost a steal. Seller is "lamontsanfurd" = Lamont Sanford, "Sanford and Son"? I dunno. :huh

:lol3

--Bill
  12. Boxer Metal

Oddometer:
    That is a perfect rack attached to a /6 rear frame. See if he/they will do a buy now at a reasonable price since the listing is fairly new.. If the rear frame is 100% complete and you don't need it maybe I can help you offset the cost? I can always use a good rear frame.
  13. type918

Oddometer:
    I think I'm going to play along with the auction and see how it turns out. I won't need the rear frame so...Thanks to both of you for the input.
  14. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let me know how the auction turns out. I have a rack like that and I'd be willing to part with it. I'll make some pictures.
  15. type918

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer, Ray. I'll be in touch.

Jim
  16. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    I agree with Chris-- buy it NOW. At $9+22 it's a steal. You may not need the subframe, you may not know that you need a subframe, but it's time to start packratting parts away. Those early subframes are in need-- overload the rack and the rear of the subframe bends and cracks. I, as a young newb in the mid-'70's, put GF on pillion + iced-downed loaded cooler on the rack and cracked the subframe. Happens all th' time.

--Bill
  17. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I didn't even notice it was a Lamont Sanford auction. They, or he, has some of the best deals. A lot of Airhead parts. Never a reserve. Straight shooter.

It being an auction items can sometimes go much higher but you can always hope to get it reasonable. Then if not there will another along pretty soon.
  18. Schlivitz

Schlivitz Mercury Freefall

Oddometer:
    Get it, sub-frame & all. That way you can brace this sub-frame (which looks like it might have some extra holes in it) and save your original. They"re prone to crack. My original has been welded, but I have 2 extras.