Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. mark883

mark883 and the mysterians

Oddometer:

There's one of those Mexican chiminea thingies in the right side of the picture.

It looks cold, wants to go home, and needs a ride.
  2. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah,
    Down here in Mississippi our reading isn't on a par with the smart people in Arkansas.
  3. miguelito

miguelito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now that made me laugh! :rofl I had to google the illiteracy rates of the two states, and Arkansas came out slightly ahead with an illiteracy rate of 14% vs 16% for Mississippi. Sorry Ace. :eek1 But both of you take heart. You'll fit in fine down here south of the border where the rate of illiteracy is about 13.9% . :freaky
  4. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:

Thank God I am not originally from Mississippi, but since I've been here 34 years out of 65, I guess it doesn't matter.
  5. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    I grew up in Kentucky. Always 2nd to last in educational spending, literacy, you name it. And my father's motto was always "Thank God for Mississippi" because at the time they were always consistently dead last in the country. :lol3
  6. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty much still is.
  7. terrapinneck

terrapinneck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here in LA (lower Arkansas) I think the percentage may be a little lower....Ace, sorry for the rash comeback,,.I may have had one too many Christmas totties last night. But that is no excuse for my rudeness. I apologize.
  8. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Good one!
  9. airdale7

airdale7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

If you take out the snow and outdoor heater and the trees, replace the background with a desert mountain range backdrop with a burro and a bottle of tequilla...it would look just like Mexico :rofl
  10. airdale7

airdale7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

You are not too far away to join us for the Oklahoma: Last Ride of the Year 2012.
    It starts at Natural Falls State Park near Siloam Springs and follows the river south (toward Mexico) to Tahlequah. Monday Dec 31 at 11am if your interested. :ricky
  11. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just rode down to Monclova through Acuña. Things appear to be very tranquilo with noticeably less military presence. I never even had to get off the bike because I already had the TVIP. Easiest border crossing ever. Damn glad I had the electric vest today.

Schizz you should consider just an electric vest, it makes all the difference.
  12. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's one of my favorite crossings. There or Piedras Negras. Try Corrales for a meal when in Monclova. You'll pass it as you head south, one or two blocks from the big fire station.
  13. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Monclova? one of the most desirable tourist destinations in Mexico :evil
  14. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    You got that right SR. The no anti freeze thing burned a lot of the locals here 2 winters ago when we had 2 nights of hard freeze - around 20 f. Lots of broken water pipes too.

Stay warm.
  15. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Once, the new cars inside d showrooms of several delars in Monclova had the mono blocks cracked back in the day, not the Vw's air cooled. Talking 70's
  16. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    There's a black KTM fender with a matching mount hole pattern you can buy new at a reasonable price. Will really clean up the KLR aerodynamically and tame the winds quite a bit. Had one on my '08.
  17. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:

No problem Amigo !
  18. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Schizz already order one (thanks to Snownut )and the forks brace I have only put 1000mi since I bought it and now I really like riding it ., I checked the air pressure before coming back from Acuna last night it was low like 32lbs in front, put 40lbs and it improved had cross winds of 40mph it remind me when we were getting out of the bend that was lot of fun I could taken the R1200 but I guess I like to struggle a bit is more fun it was 47°F I did missed the heated grips which also order...
    Any suggestions on a heated vest?
    Some one was saying go Baja.,:clap are you ready?
    Saludos
  19. TRAVELGUY

TRAVELGUY Old Traveler

Oddometer:
    Need any advice available for long term safe parking in Presidio, Tx. My buddy and I are hauling the bikes to Presidio and then doing about a month long in Mex. Will be parking a SUV and small utility trailer. Good advice will be appreciated.

Thanks;

TravelGuy
  20. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Call Three Palms Inn and ask if you can store them there. Helps if you reserve a room, as well. A fellow rider stored his car and trailer there on a week-long Copper Canyon ride in 2010 with no problems.

The Inn is cheap but clean with hot water and a restaurant on site.

Three Palms Inn
    1200 Erma Avenue
    Presidio, TX 79845
    (432) 229-3211