Rowe Electronics Power Distribution Module PDM60: anybody try one?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by John Smallberries, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Deerhead

Deerhead Be Safe Out There!

Oddometer:
    CycleNutz is $200 but an online search turned up the $155 number. How much are they supposed to be?
    Ride Safe,
    Robert
  2. ST-DocLizard1

ST-DocLizard1 Serial Monogamist

Oddometer:
    I believe there are three different generations of PDM60. One includes the SAE plug for your Battery Tender, the latest has a USB Plug and the software to reprogram, and the third one has neither. Check before purchasing to see what you are getting.

When in doubt, call the manufacturer:

http://www.rowe-electronics.com/modules
  3. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the "neither one" installed on my FJR1300 and was very impressed, may yet install one on my new ride when and if I need one.
  4. Buster452

Buster452 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be interested in this unit when they add low voltage disconnect logic to it. Until then the eastern beaver stuff works just fine for me.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
  5. RocketMoto

RocketMoto 2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer:
    Generation 1: Sold by Aerostich only. Had a connector arrangement on the PDM60 with removable power output leads.

Generation 2: Has fixed power leads and a small header connector on back that the programming is used for programming with a Windows computer. The earlier one's had a 2 pin SAE connector for connecting a battery tender. This connector was eliminated as a running change around mid-February 2013. Around this timeframe, the firmware was updated to permit end-user programming with a yet to be available programming cable.

Generation 3: Is actually the generation 2, without the SAE connector, but with the programming cable included. First shipped in April 2013.

Any generation 2 unit, made prior to the firmware update for end-user programming, can be updated by Rocket Moto, or another dealer so equipped, to enable the programming cable feature. Rocket Moto has programming cables available, if the unit didn't originally ship with one.
  6. RocketMoto

RocketMoto 2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer:
    Supposed to be $199 with programming cable included. These were $149 prior to the programming cable. Older units may need to have the firmware updated to permit end-user programming.

Hope that helps.
  7. andeh83

andeh83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Appreciate this is a very old thread, but came across it when troubleshooting my PDM60 and thought it worth feeding back the response I got from Rowe earlier today in case it helps anyone else.
    Basically the PDM60 (ordered Mar-17 in the UK) doesn't play nice with the Scottoiler eSystem due to there being a momentary cut in power during initial activation. As the eSystem loses its configuration settings unless it has an uninterrupted feed, its unfortunately better wiring the eSystem direct to the battery.
    keepshoveling likes this.
  8. Akunin

Akunin Neo-Vegabond

Oddometer:
    So I find myself with a spare PDM60 since I sold my Busa and after fiddling with the XR650R I got to wondering.. this could really straighten up the nest of nonsense I have on the bike if I could get it to work off my current setup. I have a ricky stator rewind 200watt (160 usable) stator as a power plant but in my current setup I have a capacitor instead of a battery. I've really been considering putting a small 4 cell antigravity lithium ion battery on the bike for all my power needs and ditching the capacitor. I'm thinking of adding aux lights down the road and my current setup consists mostly running a baja designs 40watt led headlight, led tail light blinkers, horn and occasionally I have my garmin gps docked to a charging cradle. So I should have plenty juice to run all my goodies and power the light. I'll post a follow up post as soon as I get the battery and get it underway.
  9. STUFF2C

STUFF2C We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer:
    I just rewired all my accessories, 2 sets of lights, heated gear plug, horn, GPS, extra BMW plug, with the PDM60. Best thingamajig I have installed. Cleaned up all the sh!t under my seat. Gr8 product!!!

Attached Files:

10. Akunin

Akunin Neo-Vegabond

Oddometer:
    aww yeah! I have run several different fuse blocks over the years but after stumbling across the pdm60 it changed the way I ran everything. Funny how I've come full circle now and wanting to put it on the oldest vehicle I own
  11. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf High functioning sociopath

Oddometer:
    Anyone find a slow drain using PDM60? Since I out one on my 14 Strom 1000 I get dead battery in about a week. I doubt the LEDs are draining THAT much. No shorts I can tell, everything checks out.

I haven't tried just unplugging the PDM yet to see how long I can sit it...maybe this winter I'll try that, but wanted to see here if anyone else had that issue?

If the makers/programmers of this devise are watching this...I would put in voltage protection that cuts everything if the battery gets too low and then reboots after next start up and make that annoption at the end user programming stage.
  12. davidji

davidji Taylor's Version

Oddometer:
    Have you put an ammeter in any of the circuits to see where the current is going?
  13. andeh83

andeh83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you using the 'Always Live' config? If so I believe the manual states there's a constant draw of 50mA, and consequently that config isn't recommended for batteries less than 15Ah. In my earlier correspondence with Rowe's tech guys, they did say the draw associated with the 'Always Live' config results from the power required to keep the LEDs lit.

I've been using a PDM60 on my SAS for about 4 months (not using the 'Always Live' option) and had no problems.
  14. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf High functioning sociopath

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I'll have to see about it. I have a couple curcuits set as always live for future set up of a top box accessory socket to charge phones, helmets and such while away from the bike, but those lines aren't hooked up to anything as yet.

The LEDs are always on. I was unaware if I took off the always on setting it would turn them off.
  15. OR_Rider

OR_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Gen2 with SAE on my new-to-me bike. Where can I get the manual for it? All I can find on the website is for the newer versions.
  16. JPCollinsworth

JPCollinsworth Compulsive Spender

Oddometer:
    I have the documentation you’re looking for. Starting a conversation.
  17. WindBlast

WindBlast Jesus and Tequila

Oddometer:
    If you have any of the outputs programmed as "always on" you are activating an internal switch that uses energy from the battery to stay on even when the PDM60 and the bike are off. I do not recommend using this setup and just hardwire anything you want to leave on all the time to the battery. I do this for a charging port. The PDM is an awesome piece of gear and it really cleaned up my wiring on my S1000XR. I am running a powered tank bag, radar detector, Clearwater lights, and a camera. No problems in 6 months of use and no BMW codes or blown fuses.
  18. genghis9021

genghis9021 Arak Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    http://pdm60.com/product-faq/

Click on “Installation” then “Instruction Manual”

Voila.

The manual hasn't changed much (for the Amplink) aside from the Bluetooth and App parts.
    BruceWA likes this.
  19. rswift-ebay

rswift-ebay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys. I have a constant 1.7 volts across multiple outputs when ignition is off, ie trigger wire is set to zero volts ie ignition off.
  20. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    How long after the bike is turned off?