2012 990 adv suspension upgrade

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by TheRog, Aug 1, 2014.

1. TheRog

TheRog Dirtylittle funhaver

Oddometer:
    I have a 07 adv. s dakar, and i'm about to buy a 2012 adventure with low miles.
    before i do, i would like to know if the blue-orange 07 bodywork will fit on the 2012 model?
    I would also like to put the forks and rear shock on the 2012. will the susension swap with no mods(who doesn't like 10.5 inches of travel honestly?) or would this be a chore?
    So a 2012 adventure s dakar with less than 8000 miles and 115 hp. and smooth FI mapping!
    really need the info.
    It would be important to know if the 2012 body/suspension will go on the 07 as well.
  2. madrivermaz

madrivermaz Old Fart

Oddometer:
    I'd be more concerned about the low mileage. My son's 2012 has been back to the shop twice for electrical problems: 1st was a pinched wire, 2nd was the ignition switch.
  3. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Everything will swap over - bodywork, suspension, stands...the ABS may present challenges (or may not), but it all should swap.
  4. TheRog

TheRog Dirtylittle funhaver

Oddometer:
    How hard is it, and or can you eliminate the abs on the 2012 bike
    I've never had abs and don't want to start or carry the extra weight..
  5. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    The ABS is not a big problem. Easy to turn it off. I rarely find it a problem except on very steep down hills. The hoses will be just a little short when you put on the long travel forks, but it doesn't seem to be a big problem.

The long travel will make the rear ABS kick in sooner.

You can put a switch on the rear ABS sensor and just turn it on/off when needed. OR, you can just get new hoses and pull it, no programming problems.

If you swap the tanks, you may want to swap the fuel pumps and keep the new pump on the new bike. You may need new o-rings.
  6. Torque

Torque Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    With any aggression the ABS is dangerous offroad. Come into a corner having to brake hard and Whoa S_)&% what happened to the brakes. The front simply does not work. Hang on! Pulled the fuse on mine until I remove the whole system. Having to turn it off repeatedly and sometimes it just re-activates while riding.
  7. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    Remember- on the later bikes the speedo is controlled by the ABS system. I've not yet read a report of anyone removing ABS on a late model bike and keeping the speedo.

I installed a switch on the rear sensor, and it pretty much stays off.