How to Change Dash to Metric Units?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by MCForever, Nov 15, 2011.

1. MCForever

MCForever n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello. I bought a 2010 US spec 800 out of California and rode it home to Alberta, Canada where all traffic signs are metric based. Can anyone tell me how to change the dash functions to metric units from US units? I searched my DVD repair manual and could not find a thing about it. Thanks.
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The dealer can do it thru their computer. I took mine in for service yesterday and was pleasantly surprised when the dealer informed me that he switched my tire pressure monitor from bar to PSI, just because all our gauges here in north america are PSI. I know for sure he can also change mpg to km/l and air temp from F to C. Next time I go in, I'm asking to change the clock from 12 to 24 hr. And no, you can't do this if you have a GS911.
  3. dendrophobe

dendrophobe Motorbike Junky

Oddometer:
    Good to go. Does this take up one of the "reprogram slots" like remapping the engine does, or is this just a quick fix on the computer?
  4. GB

Oddometer:
    It's a computer setting but only the dealer can set it up. The tech who did mine is a young guy, so he's computer savvy and willing to try. He told me he'll switch my clock to 24hrs next time.
  5. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    It does NOT take up a slot, but as it happens, the whole slot thing has been rethought by AG anyway. Now they say at MINIMUM the DME can be programed 13 times, but likely many more.

NA reprogrammed a returned DME 38 times before they got bored and all held fine. Moss counts down each slot use, then starts posting negative numbers lol

In any case, u can switch temp, and odo to metric. clock to 24, screw with the signal self cancel time and distance, all without using slots, u just need a MOSS.
  6. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Resurrecting this old thread because I have the same question. I am in the US, but I think much clearer in metric units, especially when it comes to Celsius and Litre. Did you get the dealer to remap this? It should be all software, since no physical unit on the dash has to the changed. If you were able to, that's something for me to do at my next service interval.

Also, can this configuration legally run in the US? The dial will still show the mph reading, if the cops pull me over I don't think they'll need to see more. In the end, I realize that it's just a units conversion thing. It's easier for me to see it in the ones I comprehend than have to do a mental conversion every time I want to see some info :wink:
  7. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And resurrecting again from the dead. I spoke to the dealer this time when I clocked 6k miles and was up for the service and they said it is a painless process. Just got the bike back, and all the units are metric now. For once, I can read the temperature gauge and actually know what temperature it's saying :clap

The swap needs the dealer tools, and cannot be done on the GS911 from what they know, but it's a fairly straightforward process. Best of all, they did not charge me anything extra for it, yay to Ride West
  8. Calgary06

Calgary06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The GS911 will do it I think. I'll go play with mine tomorrow morning and figure out which functions it changes.
    It is under 'coding' and says it switches the distance unit from mi to km for the speed and distance display.
  9. GB

Oddometer:
    The newest GS911 interface has a lot more parameters than it did when I first got the GS911, so it's quite possible you can now switch those yourself. They've even got a display for the total number of engine running hours since the bike was new..
  10. Calgary06

Calgary06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After playing with the GS911 I figured out it will only change the odometer and trip meters in the computer from km to mi. As far as I could tell everything else stayed the same.
    I thought it did more...hopefully on the next version they can add some more functions.

We had a Chevy rental on a recent trip that, with the push of a button, would change everything from metric to the other incorrect measurements. Wish they would all do that.