New Honda 1200 V4 CrossTourer!!!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Two Plugs, Nov 2, 2010.

1. dodgierogie

dodgierogie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes thats right

2. RoadRdr

RoadRdr Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got a little exciting too thinking it may be in the US. Then I googled WA and found out it wasn't Washington, but Western Australia.
    I think I'm back to searching Super Tenere and BMW 1200GS. Its so quiet from Honda I am believing its not coming here.
  3. RRVT

RRVT Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer:
    Have you looked at Tiger Explorer? It seems to be a worth contender these days. My dealer (sells both BMW and Triumph) is pushing me towards GSA, my heart wants Explorer, my brain tells me to get Tenere. Choices, choices. Since this will be my primary long distance and highway bike, I would seriously consider CrossTourer if it were available in US.
  4. XTourer

XTourer n00b

Oddometer:
    @TwoPlugs : I've been following the VIM's for a long time but not been able to join any of them. I was a proud owner of 2 vara's a truly excelent bike that will always be missed. Don't think I'll make it this year either, but i'll look into the venue of course. As for the Tourer, being 1.80 m tall (tall enough for a Portuguese :evil) maybe the short screen would be enough... But I am used to the excelent protection the vara had, and therefore I didn't even blink at buying the Touring one. The fuel consumption got me a litle bit worried after I saw what people were writing after the tests drive, but in reality it's not very diferent from what the consumption was with the Vara..... I'm happy, by not having a beemer !:rofl

Cheers
  5. Carl Down Under

Carl Down Under Aussiwican

Oddometer:
    It arrived at my dealer last week, in Gosford, NSW, Australia. I had a look at it on Saturday. This is the manual version and was not a demo, so I unfortunately did not ride it :cry. The dealer does not know if they will be getting a demo.

[​IMG]

I think it is BEAUTIFULLY built. It looks like a quality product. The spoked wheels look great. It looks like a solid machine. I'm 190cm (6'3") and I found the size to be perfect, not small like some people commented. I was surprised just how high the handlebars were. I could ride this bike standing up without having to raise the bars. The seat and position feels very comfortable. I leant the bike from side to side by quite a way and did not find it too heavy. The center of gravity seems well placed.

What I'm after is a powerful touring bike that I can ride on dirt roads. I already have a bike for serious off-road. I'm now going to wait to have a look at the Triumph Explorer which arrives at the end of the month. My dealer said a member of Staff had just left to go up north for the Australian launch.

I think both the Honda and the Triumph look like great bikes. I really like the styling of both. I dislike the look of the standard bags on both bikes, especially the Honda zipper one. From the reviews I have read so far the pros for the XTourer for me are the motor (it sounds like it is a sweet thing), powerful front brakes, and quality. But I'm also impressed with the Triumph. I especially like how they have focused on ergonomics. Cruise control (why didn't Honda think of that!), powerful alternator, easily adjustable screen (why didn't Honda think of that!), long service intervals (nice), handlebar scroll for computer (nice), switchable ABS, nice exhaust (I'm not keen with a chrome pipe on a bike I will take on dirt). I would have liked a bigger tank on both. For a bike I may want/need to take down a steep dirt road I'm concerned about the Honda linked brakes and ABS. I love smart technology, my Nissan has a CVT gearbox which I think is brilliant, and so the Honda DCT gearbox interests me, but I'm again concerned how well that would work on dirt. I would also be very interested in an Explorer XC model if that was to eventuate.

Two test rides will determine a winner for me! Oh what fun. :D
  6. Two Plugs

Two Plugs Born to be blunt Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 2nd largest motorcycle magazine WW - German based MOTORRAD - has a full test rapport together with the R1200GS, Yamaha S10 Wordcrosser ánd the Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer. Will be published in the Dutch edition (Motoplus) as well. Interessting reading material but between the lines you can read that the Crosstourer can't really be compared with its competitors cause its more a 'crossover' than a proper bigtrail bike.

Which isn't a real disatvantage though.

The German testteam loved the Crosstourers comfort, finishing touch and esspecially the brakes - best in its class.

The editor states 'that the GS still is the best buy'. But if it conserns BMW's vv comparising tests, German motorcycle magazines having a sort of tradition of finding more negative points on the others than than giving an objective opinion.

Test rattings outside Germany already have confirmed, that the new Tiger is classleading. Even before a R1200GS :clap

With the Honda being a good 2nd... Despite its thirst.
  7. Mister B 1200

Mister B 1200 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hi two plugs ,check out the Crosstourer forum, www.crosstourer.com /forumsand for threads on economy .. Out of the box mine is doing 43mpgallon(british) for the first tankfull, this figure increases to 5000kms(highest reported so far) to give a range of 44--54 mpg depandant on the usual variables of road and right hand input.. General good headway touring <around > legal speeds is giving 50 mpg... All things considered I will not worry about that as that was what my GS was doing!!!! THe Aussies on the site are reporting no problems with general off roading,and feal very secure..When proper bash plates and crash bars become available I am sure they will push the envelope..... For any doudters out there in mine and all other users opinion the DCT is just magic ..Once used there is no way any of us would go back to the usual gearbox ,, the seamless accelaration and decellaration is just awesome,,and your pillion passenger will love you for ever,and the control you have is difficult to comprehend until you have triedit..... I really feal for you Americans and Canadians..you are missing the future.... Having had a GS for 2years(10k miles ) for me it comes no where near to the Honda .... Re the screen ,its useless and I am only 1.78,get the touring one, Finally despite being 72 I find it easier to handle in the garage /drive ,it carries its weight better than the GS and the KTM990 i had befor and slow speed handling is excellant........I guess I like it a lot !!!!!!!
  8. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a bit quiet in here isn't it? :ear

Can't have this beast sinking without trace.
  9. holmesie

holmesie I like stuff...

Oddometer:
    Those spoked wheels would look good on my Varadero :evil
  10. dodgierogie

dodgierogie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i will be buying one soon :) have order some accerories for it :)

11. PizzaHog

PizzaHog Thought Criminal

Oddometer:
    There would be a few more posts if the bloody bikes were available in the US. :deal

Just sayin'...
  12. Telman

Telman Ulysses Member

Oddometer:
    I would have thought the Crosstourer would have been perfect for the American market, more so than the 700X which we do not get in Aus. I know as soon I have unencumbered myself of one of the beasts in the garage, one will get a new home at my place.:D
  13. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just had another look at the Xtour. Got to say it's one truly elegant looking machine. Which in this class says something. Kind of like a Range Rover Evoque. Not for the rugged rufty tufty types - more for us urban oiks.
    I hope to ride the DCT next month.
    I hope i don't like it..
    ££££££....
  14. RoadRdr

RoadRdr Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree. I was very surprised to see the 700 announced by American Honda. Then they seem astonished when there's no fanfare from the riding public. Whoever is doing their market research must in denial when they read so many thread posts about Honda being out of touch or else too late to the game i.e Fury and DN-01.

I don't care for the name Crosstourer but I do like the idea of a V4 and shaft drive Adventure style bike. And I most likely would have been first in line to buy one.
  15. arrcrussell

arrcrussell Gimme Dirt

Oddometer:
    I spoke with a couple of Honda reps at the bike show this past January about the XTourer coming to the US. Each said that the US sales of the VFR1200 were a surprising disappointment and they are afraid of the same for the XTourer. Big mistake in my opinion. I suspect the intended market for the 700 is the W-Strom, F650 and entry market - no opinion on this one.
  16. bingbong

bingbong Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    For reference I ride an RT 1200, so my comparisons will be against that really,
    So I'll start with the likes. As everyone has said the build quality is great. Starting it up put a smile on face straight away, the v4 sounds fantastic and is so smooth. Climb on and lift it off the side stand and it doesn't really feel any different to a GS or RT, except for the seating position. (I'll come back to this) blip the throttle and motor spins up really quick, I'm gonna like this :D. Snick it into first and there is no clunk or jerk, just smooth. It stays like this even when hot and in traffic. The plus points are racking up pretty quick and I'm not even turned a wheel yet. Ease the clutch out of we go, slow speed balance is great but the front feels a bit heavy compared to the RT, but this is mainly down to the bigger wheel in my opinion. At the first small round about I was finding the feeling with the front difficult as in it seems reluctant to turn at first then dropped into the inside too quickly. This just required some re calibration my part. I have to say at this point I didn't like the riding position at all. The seat the handle bar relationship is weird. I think the bike has been developed by a short motocross rider. It's much easier to ride standing up than the GS 12 or 800. This is at odds to the purpose of the bike, it's a road bike. 5 minutes later I'm onto the first dual carriageway and amazed at how good the wind protection is with the small screen, it was a hot day but even so I was cruising at 140 k's very comfortably. With the fantastic engine just purring along. This really is a sport tourer, it shouldn't be compared to a GS at all.
    I'll cut this short as I could ramble on about this bike for ages. I didn't expect to like it nearly as much as I did. I'm really interested in a DCT version, I might just be able to get a good deal for one so well see but this bike does everything I need. Oh and switch the traction control off and it wheelies off the throttle VERY EASILY in 1st and 2nd :wink: I love my RT but this is more fun and does highway almost as well, in some ways better ( engine for sure) .
    Now I'm thinking, how much is it going to cost me to get one ..........
  17. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look at the rake trail compared to the RT, it's (on paper) slower. The big wheel and the slower geometry would suggest exactly what you said. But this is what I have found riding a bike with a similar setup (THANK GOD!!).

The transition from tarmac to dirt is way better. Because tarmac is fairly predictable I have found that my brain has dialed that slowness in and doesn't notice it any more. Off tarmac where things are less predictable I have found the slower steering to be a big plus because it will follow a line much better without having to constantly concentrate and having that feeling of having to correct every little tendency to follow every little rut. I must say I am glad some manufacturers have decided to go this way. It makes the longer term riding experience a lot better IMO.

That is assuming that your weekends aren't about chasing RRR bikes through tight twisties. Then you have to work harder at it.
  18. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    So, they import the WRONG bike in the VFR1200.....They had no idea where to put it....Sport bike? No, too big and heavy. Sport Touring? Not with that riding position....it sets up like a sport bike, and the gas mileage sucked for a tourer. Then WTF is it? It didn't really fit anywhere, and it didn't sell well ANYWHERE (forget the US sales numbers, that bike was a bust worldwide!). Now, here's a bike that actually MAKES SENSE for the US market (Xtourer, big comfy upright long range mile muncher retuned for better low/mid range and better fuel consumption), and they don't want to import it because they f'd up w/ the VFR???? BRILLIANT!!! :loco Must be a decision made by a non-US-based non-riding golf club toting bean counting WANKER who can't be pulled away from his latte mocha frappajammachino long enough to care. :csm If Honda USA had a nut sack, I'd kick them in it, but since they don't, I guess I'll just buy my next bike from someone else. :fyyff

-SM
  19. bingbong

bingbong Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are exactly right Graham, I should have gone on to say that once I started riding it like an off road bike, i.e elbows up and push the bike down beneath you it is actually very nimble and a lot of fun. The trouble was for the highway it puts a lot of pressure on my shoulders(I don't mean wind pressure) an inch or two on the seat would cure this. I hope they offer a higher seat option. If not I could probably use an air hawk to gain that inch and maybe some comfort too. It really is as if they have tried very hard to make it good to ride off road ergo wise but then said its not an off road bike, which it isn't. Like the VFR they have confused the product but in this model they will do better with it, and deserve to. Crosstourer? Bloody fast and comfy tourer more like :D
  20. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice one! Glad you enjoyed it. :D