Loud Pipe design logic

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Andyvh1959, Aug 21, 2013.

1. daveinva

daveinva Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been meaning to share the story for a little while, just been waiting for the latest "loud pipes" thread. :evil

GF and I spent a long weekend this summer visiting her dad in Santa Fe. I had never been, absolutely loved it, awesome place.

Now, I've been to plenty of places in this country, and I've seen a lot of things. But until New Mexico, one thing I *hadn't* seen-- or more accurately, heard-- was just the insane prevalence of loud pipes. We're talking pure, open pipes of bone-rattling volume.

I admit, some of the annoyance was a result of our choice to drive a rental Mustang convertible. No protection from loud pipes there.

But guess what? There's no protection from loud pipes anywhere. Side streets, parking lots, outdoor shopping, restaurant patios... didn't matter where, you couldn't escape the sound.

One day we went walking through Pecos National Park, we're MILES from the highway, and even that far, the loud pipes would reverb off the walls of the mountains.

And I'm not talking normal motorcycle volume here, I'm talking, "Sorry Mr. Park Ranger, you need to please stop talking about the pueblo for thirty seconds while that biker throttles through the pass."

Again: Miles. Away.

Now, in my neck of the woods, loud pipes are pretty rare (especially on cruisers-- yeah, we get the sportbikers jetting up and down 395 all night long). I don't recall any bikers I know getting tickets for them around here, but I'm guessing they must, or else they'd be more commonplace. So, in general, my attitude towards them has been pretty blase-- they're not everywhere, so an occasional one doesn't annoy me so much as amuse me.

But that trip to New Mexico changed my mind, big time. Discovering that there are *plenty* of riders out there who *really do* run these abominations casually and just don't give a damn was an eye-opener.
  2. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Part of the whole image being pursued.
    Goes nicely with cruiser face.
  3. waveydavey

waveydavey happy times!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't these stupid folk realize that you have the only valid point of view around here? A self appointed expert on everything motorcycle. :rofl:lol3
  4. leftfield6

leftfield6 That is Mattie in the pic, was the best dog ever Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't need loud pipes. I ride a Ducati, so my clutch rattle is loud enough to suffice.

:rofl
  5. Antiquar

Antiquar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right on brother. Dry clutches save lives! :D
  6. Griffin44

Griffin44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An interesting factoid for me occurred a couple of weeks ago while driving my car. I was behind two morons with straight pipes for about 5 minutes until I decided their annoying me was not to be tolerated and I would be damned if I was gonna pull over and wait for them to get into the next time zone so I wouldn't have to hear them.

Instead, I blasted by them at high speed in a fairly risky pass in a potentially dangerous spot, but I got in front of them and didn't have to listen to them anymore.

Now, considering I am usually a pretty cautious driver but was willing to endanger all three of us (more them, to tell the truth) to get away from their noise, it got me to wondering just how much safer they made themselves with their loud pipes.

And, yes, I realize my driving was not acceptable and I was wrong. That is not my point. My point is, I believe many other people may do equally or more dangerous things as a result of this crap. And I wonder how that factors into the moronic debate.
  7. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's the matter? Last weeks loud pipe thread wasn't good enough? Or the one the week before that...or the one the week before that...... :lol3
  8. DSTEVENS

DSTEVENS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's the funniest damn thing I ever heard:rofl:rofl:rofl. D.
  9. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    It is about time you realized that!:evil

Jim :brow
  10. waveydavey

Oddometer:
    It's ok. :1drink
  11. roadfool

roadfool Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have always rode (quiet bikes CB750, FJR, various antique twins Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki) This Monday I bought a Honda Shadow ACE with after market pipes on it. It is far and away the loudest bike I've ever owned ( including a Sporty and a Softail) Just anecdotal evidence from riding the last 4 days cagers stay away from loud pipes ( Philly area). And that's fine with me:D
  12. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Buells stink when you TAKE OFF from lights.:lol3
  13. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    No launch was actually pretty good, it was above 130 that it was slow.
  14. Skippii

Skippii Did you eat my Zinger???

Oddometer:
    You are wrong.
    [​IMG]
  15. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    Riding my stock 92 Concours about 80 mph today, ducked behind the windshield and realized it sounds about like a meteor hurtling through the vacuum of space.

And yet, I survived.
    I like a little exhaust sound, but straight pipes have no place on the street.

It seems especially worse on "cruisers" at least sportbikes go by so fast you don't get a chance to work up a good steaming rant before they're gone!
    :huh
  16. BadKarma

BadKarma Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Says so much more about YOU than it does about THEM... :deal
  17. waveydavey

Oddometer:
    Yes, there seems to be a lot of BPD on this site. :1drink
  18. FlySniper

FlySniper Bleh...

Oddometer:
    Straight pipes should be routed straight up the owner's ass. Harley, Honda, Ford, Chevy.... it doesn't matter. It's obnoxious as hell no matter the source.

Bet it would cut way down on the redlight throttle blipping too! (Why the hell do they do that anyway? Bike won't idle without stalling out? )
  19. oz97tj

oz97tj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Give it a rest.
  20. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    My guess on the constant throttle blipping, other than the "LOOK AT ME" aspect of it, is that after fitting the bike with straight pipes it actually leans out the fuel mix. If the bike owner didn't have the carbs/fuel injection adjusted to suit, the bike probably idles for crap without the constant shot of more gas.