2013 Cancer Council Ride

Discussion in 'Australia' started by prestonpaul, Jan 8, 2013.

1. prestonpaul

prestonpaul What?

Oddometer:
    2013 Cancer Council Ride
    Is it too early to start a thread about this? :lol3
    Any news on dates etc? I need to start planning leave and getting the bike in order :clap
  2. GagsD2

GagsD2 ...Are we there yet?

Oddometer:
    Never too early Paul, have been wondering the same. Hopefully Jane will pipe in here somewhere as I have been out of the loop somewhat but I am keen to be involved again......
  3. Miss Jane

Miss Jane Ride like a girl

Oddometer:
    Never too early Preston Paul, I was about to start a new thread. :lol3

This years plan is a bit different to past years. The plan is to have rides in each state, hopefully coinciding with a Relay for Life for that particular area.

Rides will be posted up here when they come to hand. Please come and join us, all welcome, we have plenty of laughs, top quality riding and raise some money for cancer at the same time.

Tasmania:
    The Tasmanians are getting the ball rolling with their week long ride starting on 23rd/24th March, to coincide with the Launcestion Relay for Life, which will be the riders start point. The ride will head anticlockwise around the state on plenty of dirt, and include the stunning South West. All roads are twisty in Tassie, so it's going to be a blast.

Personally I'm really keen to do this one as the photos from last year looked so awesome. I'd suggest knobby tyres are highly recommended for this one.

Victoria:
    I'm leading this one again. It will be over a weekend, but this time it's through Central Victoria on some really fun tracks and little back roads you wouldn't guess existed. My plan is to start in the Gisbourne area, go through Trentham, Tarradale, Heathcote and a camp out on Mt Alexander in a very pretty camp site with a toilet block, but no other facilities.
    On the Sunday we'll head south through the bush and finish up in the Daylesford area.

Date to be confirmed.

Other states yet to be confirmed, keep an eye on this space.
  4. GagsD2

Oddometer:
    let's keep this on the front page till it gets some interest....:evil
  5. huskygirl

huskygirl HuskyGirl

Oddometer:
    Howdy. Official website page nearly finished, facebook page started, Tassie route details will be for the start and then it is a mystery tour around the island for ADV Riders and a special route being set up for the roadies.

We could do the same for Vic. There is an Alpine Relay for Life at Bright I'm trying to find a date for so we can do both sides of Vic. :-)

Jane is off in Tassie for 3 weeks now, and out in the S-W with no mobile range :-) We could plan her ride and not tell her :evil

6. huskygirl

huskygirl HuskyGirl

Oddometer:
    :clap
  7. Looking Around

Looking Around Traveller

Oddometer:
    The relay for life in Bright was November last year and should be around the same time this year.
  8. huskygirl

huskygirl HuskyGirl

Oddometer:
    Oooh, even better if it fell around Melbourne Cup and takes the pressure off fitting everything into March/April. I will get in touch with the organiser, as this could be an excellent opportunity to get a lot of people out.
  9. Miss Jane

Oddometer:
    Eh I saw that!

Well I'm back now, I will get stuck into some route planning very soon. Just got to sort out some really dirty washing - I think it will walk into the laundry on its own, dry tents and boots, etc
  10. huskygirl

huskygirl HuskyGirl

Oddometer:
    Here it is the grand unveiling :freaky:clap:y0!:rilla:robin:

23rd March to 29th 2013:
    23rd
    Mainlanders to Land in Devonport/Burnie (depending on how you are travelling)
    Ride Starts from Penguin Sports Ground
    Ride west along Bass Highway to Calder Road then from here it will gravel and dirt
    along the Arthur River through to the Lindsay Range on the Western Explorer, from here
    to Corinna. Across the Pieman River on the Fat Man Barge then onto Zeehan finishing
    the day at Strahan Caravan Park.

Tar riders: can leave Penguin ride through to Somerset,
    then itÂ’s the Hellyer Gorge, Tullah, Lower Pieman, Zeehan and Strahan)

24th
    Leave Strahan ride to Queenstown, then Derwent Bridge to the Victoria Valley turnoff
    (anyone wishing to stick to the tar we will meet again in Ouse) through to Ouse. From
    here across Repulse Road to the Florentine Road to the Lake Pedder Road (Tar riders can
    travel from Ouse to Westerway, Maydena then Lake Pedder) Over Night at Lake Pedder
    Chalet. Great food and accommodation.

25th
    Back towards Maydena turning into the Scotts Peak Road, then Muellers Road to Tall
    Trees. From here it is Forestry Roads to Judbury and from here it is also Forestry Roads
    to South Port Hotel Motel where there is great camp spots or Motel Accommodation.
    They serve great counter meals here or cook your own. (Tar riders leave Lake Pedder and
    return to Maydena, Westerway, New Norfolk, Hobart, Huonville, Dover then South Port)

26th
    The Dirt Rider will leave South Port and ride to Cockle Creek and then on the return
    explore different tracks in the Esperance and Huon Valleys. This night is up where
    people would like a bit of freedom and stay where they like.

27th
    Meet at 9.00am on the Summit of Mt Wellington for a fantastic view of Hobart (if
    weather is unsavory we will meet at Salamanca) from here we will head towards the East
    Coast. Here groups may split up and anyone wishing to ride the Swanston Track please
    do so, others will do the M Road, M6, Lake Toombs, Honeysuckle Road then everyone
    meet again at Lake Leake for another great night here (Tar riders can ride from Orford,
    Swansea, Lake Leake)

28th
    A planned route will take us through different tracks and roads towards the North East
    and finishing that night at the Pub in the Paddock. Good camping, accommodation and
    meals.

29th
    From here over to Rinagrooma, Mathinna, then up Ben Lomond through to Launceston to
    finish.
  11. huskygirl

huskygirl HuskyGirl

Oddometer:
    The plan this year is to do a circuit if possible to include the Alpine Relay for Life which means we might have to use Melbourne Cup weekend and have to scout around in the Alps!!!!! :evil
  12. huskygirl

huskygirl HuskyGirl

Oddometer:
    Just practise for when you have to go back to Tassie for the ride. No PRESSURE :lol3
  13. Adventcha UnCut

Adventcha UnCut Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Miss Jane, if we can we'd like to incorporate a Relay for Life event in somewhere on each MAC relay leg as that proved to be mutually beneficial to both events in Tassie last year. Some of the dates for Central Vic R4L events haven't been finalised yet but so far the confirmed events are:

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="260"><colgroup><col style="width:48pt" span="3" width="64"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:2486;width:51pt" width="68"> </colgroup><tbody><tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td colspan="4" style="height:15.0pt;mso-ignore:colspan; width:195pt" height="20" width="260">2013 Central Vic Relay for Life Events</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">Melton</td> <td>
    </td> <td>Vic</td> <td>23 & 24/2</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td colspan="2" style="height:15.0pt;mso-ignore:colspan" height="20">Lancefield</td> <td>Vic</td> <td>2 & 3/3</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">Geelong</td> <td>
    </td> <td>Vic</td> <td>16 & 17/3</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">Hamilton</td> <td>
    </td> <td>Vic</td> <td>22 & 23/3</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td colspan="2" style="height:15.0pt;mso-ignore:colspan" height="20">Maryborough</td> <td>Vic</td> <td>12 & 13/4</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">Bendigo</td> <td>
    </td> <td>Vic</td> <td>3 & 4/5</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    The Feb events are probably too soon to get organised at this stage and you have a pretty full March ride calendar already so how does fitting in either the Maryborough or Bendigo R4L event sit with you and your route planning (and any of the regular participants)?

Cheers,

ADV UnCuT
  14. prestonpaul

prestonpaul What?

Oddometer:
    The Flinders Ranges Classic is the weekend prior to the Maryborough leg, don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing, doesn't worry me too much but two weekends in a row may be to much for some to commit to?
  15. GagsD2

Oddometer:
    Never too much riding and not all do the Classic......I am still working towards the Classic as a priority trip but will look at any Cancer rides I might be able to join.
  16. prestonpaul

prestonpaul What?

Oddometer:
    The Tassie ride looks like a ripper. :clap
  17. huskygirl

huskygirl HuskyGirl

Oddometer:
    So your coming then :evil
  18. huskygirl

huskygirl HuskyGirl

Oddometer:
    Miss Jane how about the Bendigo Relay then? May is great weather (well hopefully or am I just wishing for anything below 40C, being only 6 months to living in Central Vic?)

Surely you guys can get out first week of May? All for a good cause, you can go down the guilty route to convince those that need convincing.
  19. prestonpaul

prestonpaul What?

Oddometer:
    I'm still scratching for annual leave after the OCR last year & I will need leave for the Flinders Classic and the probably the Vic Cancer Council leg so it's not looking great at this point :cry
    Curse shift work!
  20. Miss Jane

Oddometer:
    Yeah I think the Bendigo Relay is the go, it's just I was hoping to get to the spreading of Bill's ashes on Big Red on 5th May.