The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. earthroamerxvlt

earthroamerxvlt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will try to answer the first part of your question as per my experience.

I purchased the original LED mounting support, switch and wiring harness, After connecting it all I had it programed at the BMW shop ( The bike comes with auxiliary lighting system disabled and it has to be connected to the shop's BMW computer to enable it )

I use ADV Monster LED 60 lights ( great lights by the way ) which are connected by simple 2 wire ( positive and negative ).

I have spent some 10 hours trying to make it work but couldn't find a way ! I tried BMW's original LEDs and they worked just fine.

The reason for this is that BMW's LED are connected through a 4 wire system and there is no way I could figure out how to connect it to a 2 wire system ! I've tried all wiring combinations and could not get 2 wires to provide the necessary 12 volts. If you look at the plugs that are to be connected to the lights you will notice that there are 4 terminals.

Thanks for the response Andre, you gave me some good info to work from. I will probably go ahead and speak with the good folks at Clearwater and see if they are going to come up with a plug and play setup like they did for the GSA style auxiliary lights. They have hopefully already checked out one of the GSWs to see what would be involved in installing their lights.

Thanks again!
    John
  2. Nail24

Nail24 Lighten up this is Fun

Oddometer:
    I have the AdvMonster LED's with the control module in the photo below. The 2011 GS came with a 4 wire connector which I was only able to use the ground wire to connect to the module. The purple wire on the module is to trigger the AdvMonster LED's to full bright when the bike lights are switched to high beam.

[​IMG][/URL]

4 WIRE CONNECTOR

[​IMG]
  3. fubar201

fubar201 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I understand. I tried to analyze the vibes on the way to work today at revs up to 7K and speeds that were...well...you know. Giving my all for science.

I have found that the bike is getting much smoother with miles. At 2900 miles it is far smoother than at 1000 miles. Not surprising, but I couldn't even get buzzing at all.

Not sure a low-mile demo is the most accurate representation of the bike.
  4. Kaiser Soze

Kaiser Soze n00b

Oddometer:
    I did a search on this thread about the Chrome Exhaust Option and didn't manage to find this information, so don't shoot me if it's already been discussed - OK, well here goes nuthin'

I was at the local dealer today discussing my Wasser Boxer order - he and I both learned something new about the Chrome Exhuast Option. All the bikes no matter what package, including the base model, come with Chrome Headers - the option on the exhaust has to do with the Canister itself unlike previous GS model years that had steel exhaust headers or chrome headers. The two options on the canister is the chrome or brushed aluminium - - this was all news to me, so we went out and looked at their base demo model that had the brushed aluminium, and then we looked at a customer's bike that had the chrome canister - both bikes had chrome headers. I also looked at a customer's bike that had the BMW/Akropovic canister installed - - man did that look sweet -- has a really nice carbon fiber guard where the canister attaches that mates very nicely with the exhaust valve actuator thingy - - very nice! So of course I had to add the Akro to my order ;+)

So I would assume that the confusion was previously cleared up on this thread regarding the "Chrome Exhaust" option, but I never could find that issue addressed, so maybe I missed a previous post on it. Can anyone else confirm what I was told at my dealer - is this the case with the Chrome option referring to just the Canister and all the bikes have Chrome headers. I saw a bike that was the full Dynamic package with the LED headlight and it did indeed have chrome headers.
  5. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    The KTM 1190 has the 19/17 wheel size, the 1190R has the 21/18 rims. :deal
  6. Japanviking

Japanviking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you been able to mount these on the new GSW?
    I am in the process of adding some lights to my bike but it is not easy to find any connectors. Waiting for a tool to get the CV clamps off the intake ducts to access the space under the airbox.
    So far it looks like the wires from the switchgear is coming from the main harness of the ECU. Have not found any connectors yet.
  7. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking at the browning of the headers on the bike on the One World One GS tour, I would say that bike doesn't have chrome headers, as I've never seen chrome go that brown before. On all my bikes with chrome headers, the chrome has only ever gone blue.
  8. Kaj

Kaj Gessu

Oddometer:
    Exactly. I managed to make my two weeks trip from Finland to Alps, Northern Italy and Monaco with just a bit over 30 liters of capacity...

[​IMG]
  9. NLS

NLS My bike needs washing...

Oddometer:
    To get back INTO TOPIC (a Diavel in here? BAH!), three new videos...

A light and happy video as intro...
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4_QXS0rmOZw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Greek review IN Greek (by Moto.gr)...
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SRmG4ZaqME4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And a must see video by Dirk Thiesen. This guy CAN ride...
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MImBGeTJ7OI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    (I still haven't seen it fully, but I think this is the one video to replace his other two videos for the video-reply to question "can this bike go off-road?" - he says yes AFAIK... maybe you know better... because you know, Internet is FULL of "know-it-alls")
  10. Kaj

Kaj Gessu

Oddometer:
    Don't be so serious...that was a real "adventure bike".
    Would you be brave enough to take a longer ride with italian bike? :D

Anyway, does anyone know if any of the aftermarket metal top racks would fit into varios top case?
    Something like this (Givi Trekker)

[​IMG]
  11. NLS

Oddometer:
    My comment was humorous don't worry (even with missing smillies).
  12. Russ

Russ Путин - военный преступник

Oddometer:
    Your comments are tiresome:wink:
  13. NLS

Oddometer:
    Yeah I know.
    :deal

But I definitely know how to keep threads alive (and with new sh*t not just useless posting - stress on "not JUST"). :evil
  14. Russ

Russ Путин - военный преступник

Oddometer:
    It is not your job to keep threads alive.

Constant drivel from one member, will drive members away from good threads:wink:
  15. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't see this as a problem. This thread will slowly die while specific threads for the LC arise. :1drink
  16. NLS

Oddometer:
    In any case, if my presense here is a problem whatsoever, make sure to tell me directly (PM prefered though), not just "hint" me.
  17. Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home.. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I asked this before, but I guess all new owners are too busy riding :D

Have any of you new owners measured the fuel consumption? I'm curious as to the range...

Thanks very much.

--Doc
  18. Kaiser Soze

Kaiser Soze n00b

Oddometer:
    the one World bikes definately have chrome headers if you go back and look at the pictures.......some pictures just have too much mud to tell but if you look at the bike clean they are chrome headers and looks like the brushed aluminium canister. Any new owners comment on the exhaust option?
  19. Rauven

Rauven I like the cold...

Oddometer:
    I have the chrome exhaus option. On the right side after few hundred kilometers the right pipe started turning shitti dark brown. Now after 1500km it turning into dark blue-black. The left pipe is still shiny.
  20. AA5IB

AA5IB Wannabe Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm getting about the same. I filled up with 198 miles on the trip odometer and the computer showing I had 27 miles of range left. I put 4.6 gallons in it.