Tucson Area Bulletin Board:

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by russbryant, Jan 22, 2009.

1. sky_high

sky_high Honda XR 400

Oddometer:
    Does anybody have a spare paddle tire I can barrow or buy? I am planing on taking my XR 400 out to Glamis over thanksgiving break! Rim size is 18, I only go out to the dunes once a year so if I can pick one up just for the weekend that would be great. :clap

Skyler
  2. mergatroyd

mergatroyd I'm a hooliCAN, not a hooliCAN'T!

Oddometer:
    Sorry! I forgot that this forum doesn't automatically subscribe me to the thread.

I don't think I know this Mission road. I just started it at Google's version of Tucson and got off I-10 at AZ 83. Then I tried to find something interesting on the way back north so you weren't stuck on I-19. If you are up for more like 300 miles, you can go out Arivaca Rd. from just north of Nogales.

Last time I went from Canelo Rd. to Sonoita, there were some pretty big patches of broken road/gravel. On Tuesday I went from Canelo Rd. to Parker Canyon Lake. There were maybe two short patches of gravel on each side of the laned road (which was relatively decent on the DL1000), but there is only a few miles until the lane markings go away and it turns into 1-1.5 lanes wide bumpy chip seal. I remember it being worse on the Monster, but there were still some pretty big bumps and potholes. the edges of the pavement are kind of scary looking with maybe 6-8 inch drop off the chewed up side of the pavement.

I met a water tanker on my way in that was taking up better than half the road on the switchbacks toward the end.
  3. HoosierTrailmaster

HoosierTrailmaster Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer:
    OK, off week, but who wants to do RG tonight? I would like to do a big bike ride tomorrow and we could make plans. Also, Emerson.Beautiful.Biguns, I could use to talk to you about the Grand Canyon section of the "Big Ride".

The Cardiac Kid!
  4. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I might interested in a ride tomorrow. Let me know what you come up with. I'd be up for something in the 6 hour range tops and probably can't be on the road until ~7:30.
  5. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Saw one on CL you might be interested in. PM sent.
  6. emerson.biguns

emerson.biguns All idiot, no savant

Oddometer:
    We'll try to make it. Ashton has a BBall game. We should be there by 7ish.

( o Y o )

7. Vanhalen1985

Vanhalen1985 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Swimmer, Thanks for the lead! The price he's asking is only 400 less than I can buy a new 12 model. Apache in Phoenix has the 12 models for 4999. I think that's a really good price but I'd still like to hold out a bit and look for a used cherry for around 3300. .
  8. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Yea, I thought that guy's price was high but you never know.....
  9. alaskasail

alaskasail Arivaca Outback

Oddometer:
    I got the best price in the country for my KLR at Apache and they had it all prepped and ready to ride when I got there. No complaints.
  10. SQ Beemer

SQ Beemer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am flying home for the weekend: TUC to LAX and back Sunday late evening.

Any suggestions for a safe place to park my bike? Main airport parking garage?
  11. goodtimes

goodtimes local bum

Oddometer:
    I've heard that the main (uncovered) lot is pretty decent - and only a couple bucks a day. Have a friend who frequents it, & my girlfriend didn't have any problems with her car there for a week when she flew down to Costa Rica last month.
  12. mergatroyd

Oddometer:
    The main lot is posted "no motorcycles." I use the covered parking on the inbound road with a red sign when I leave for business. I left my helmet on the bike for a week, and it was undisturbed when I got back.

It's about the same price, but they do add tax when you check out. 5 days was $21.98
  13. goodtimes

goodtimes local bum

Oddometer:

Bah! Don't they realize that you can fit more bikes per space (thus make more $$$) than cars? :huh
  14. SQ Beemer

SQ Beemer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool deal. Will check that out.
  15. mergatroyd

Oddometer:
    I think it is related to the problems airports have in scheduling departure and arrival gates.

The distance between your arrival gate and the departure gate of your connecting flight is inversely proportional to the time you have to get there. :wink:
  16. BobM

BobM DualSport

Oddometer:
    Not directly relevant for you, but I was looking for a newish lightly-used DR650 but they were asking in the high $4-5000 range. Here in Ontario the list is about $6300 with about $500 for Frt/PDI. A dealer in Toronto was trying to clear out his last '12 model for $5499 so I called and offered $5000, including Frt/PDI. He said that was too low but would call me back. The next day he phoned and said he'd take it if I gave a deposit over the phone (Visa). I picked it up last week and have about 1000 Km on it already. This isn't much in AZ terms but this was our ride last weekend:

A "No Winter Maintenance" road near Creemore, Ontario Nov 4, 2012
    [​IMG]

BTW, we expect to make it to Tucson again this winter (Jan-Apr), so look forward to renewing friendships with the RG group.

Bob
    DR650SE
    and ...
  17. russbryant

russbryant Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. HoosierTrailmaster

HoosierTrailmaster Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer:
    "It's a cop bike with a cop motor". (You can tell by that 4' wind screen)

PS: I would much prefer spending the $4000 on this bike with all the do-dads than buying a new bike and then having to buy all that stuff. Looking at the bike you can tell the guy is into maintaining it so all the kinks are already worked out. Plus you don't pay no stinking 9% sales tax. PLUS, show up with $3800 and the guy would take it.
  19. Flashman1

Flashman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear from you - missed you last winter - I have a couple interesting rides I would like to go with you on.

What happened to the 350?
  20. goodtimes

goodtimes local bum

Oddometer:
    Yup.

After two and a half decades of fixing "stuff", a big stack of $100 bills is the best lubricant I've found . . .