Husky TR650 - New Owners Stupid Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by HighFive, Dec 23, 2012.

1. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior

Oddometer:
    I noticed this when I first got mine, it's the same way. Checked Bill's demo when I was there, it too has the opening. So three bikes, two from first batch, one from second batch, are that way. Be interesting to see if anyone has something different.
  2. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK I'm over it--------were still buds :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
    You had one to many beers----and I hadn't had my coffee yet---and flew off the handle.

I'll be all over that route as soon as the snow gets off the passes.

Meanwhile me and the Dingweeds are off to Baja in about a week.
    Not be on the Terra tho

Thanks !!!

Mark
  3. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had trouble finding acceptable contact or film to protect the paint. What I did find was clear "All weather tape" It is reasonably thick and with todays high temps, quite malliable.

[​IMG]

Please note use of portable working surface:lol3

[​IMG]

Yep, a few bubbles. Oh well, it is an all roads bike.
  4. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Ooooooo.....color coordinated portable workbench :eek1 Very snazzy, indeed!

What's with all the concern over knee rubbing? Everybody just stop squeezing the tank with your knees. It ain't bull riding, after all. :huh Well, maybe it is for some...

Suit yourself though, I ain't putting no contact tape on my plastic.

HF
  5. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    UPDATE to my Oil Change.....I poured in too much. And since, figured it out. Sort of.

Here's the deal:

For a complete oil & filter change, pour in 2,000 cc of new oil (which is equal to 2.0 Liter).

It might not register on your dipstick (cold). Don't panic. Start the bike and let it run. Better yet, ride it around a bit until is completely up to normal operating temperature (that would mean when the radiator fan is spinning....for all you Yankees).

THEN measure your oil level. Turn the bike off and give it a few minutes for the oil level to settle. I've discovered its a lot easier to use the dipstick and level the bike for accurate measurement while sitting on it. Surprisingly, I don't have any more trouble trying to align the dipstick cap threads when I do this while sitting on the bike. I've had trouble aligning the plastic threads while standing to the side. Interesting discovery, I thought. Or, maybe its just weird me. [​IMG]

When the oil is hot, it expands and the level rises considerably on the dipstick. The frame ID must be small around the dipstick area, but I'm not sure. All I know is my oil level goes from barely touching the dipstick to nearly Max level, just from the oil temperature increase.

SO....DON'T fill your engine with cold oil up to a level "between the lines" on the dipstick all willy nilly like I did (initially).

Follow the suggested volume from the Service Manual, which happens to mention 2.0 Liter (2,000 ml = 2,000 cc).

I know....I know....the Manual said. But whoever reads manuals? Just sayin it didn't make sense when I couldn't see any oil on my dipstick after adding 2,000 cc. But now I know. And you do too. I'll go back to my original Oil Change post to add an update notice there, as well.

HF :thumbup

p.s. ****Edit***1/6/13 Thank you for removing your non-TR650 related personal post, Eakins. Just trying to keep things on point here. Use the General Discussion Thread for other matters.

BigDog is exempt!
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The manual also says that there is only 250cc between min and max on the dipstick so owners should be careful to only tip in very small quantities between dipstick checks.
  7. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    My experience concurs with that statement. It must be a tight squeeze up the frame tube.

Personally, I'd rather run my motor a little too low on oil versus too high. Bad things can happen when you have too much oil loaded in. I had way too much.....caused by my filling up with cold oil to a measured level at the middle of the dipstick.

BUT I taught myself a new trick, that might come in handy for someone else. :ear

I got out my fancy vacuum brake bleeder tool (bought real cheap from Cyclegear during one of their blowout sales) and shoved the tube down the filler neck a little ways. Started pumping and it easily extracted oil from the frame reservoir. I filled the catch tank on the tool a couple times. Removed about 500 cc of oil with no mess or fuss.

Then, I went riding for a while. Came back and slowly....carefully topped off the level to the middle of the dipstick.

Think I've had that brake bleeder kit for a year, at least. This was the first time I have used it. though not for brakes. :lol3

Man, that thingy is super nice! Makes me want to start flushing brake lines on all my bikes. Just because...

You could use a big plastic syringe and hose just as effective. Go buy one from a Farm and Ranch store (Farmer's Coop, Atwoods, Tractor Supply, etc) wherever they sell livestock supplies. Get a jumbo size medicine shot, but you don't need to buy any needles. You'll have all of $10 or less invested once you buy some clear plastic tubing to shove onto it (from Auto Parts store). You get the idea.

8. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior

Oddometer:
    My experience is that it siphons nicely with aquarium tube.

I've got a vacuum remover for taking samples on the way from Blackstone. It did not occur to me to re-purpose the brake bleeder. $30 of experience earned.
  9. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    More black dust mess in the garage today, but I got my tailrack mod finishedÂ….cutting in the strap holes. And, I found some black panhead hex bolts for the mounting points, which definitely looks better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty satisfied with the result, as it all seems quite solid and stout. BUT it needs a real field test! Where is that Ups truck with my skid plate?

[​IMG]

With the Wolfman Peak Tailbag mounted.

[​IMG]

All done, except I may add a piece of no-slip shelf liner underneath the bag to keep it from scooting around on the slick pvc plate.

A friend of mine has a CNC. Maybe I should take my prototype over and knock out about 10 copies. Unfortunately, they wouldn't have the custom, hand-made, artistic expression such as mine.

overlander likes this.
  10. davorallyfan

Oddometer:
    Looking west I see sand, lots of sand... putting a sand shoe on.

[​IMG]

Exhaust stencil.
  11. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:
    Hi davorallyfan,

You may want to be very careful about the shape of that sand shoe.

When we were prototyping our F800GS side stand foot (it's the same as the TR650 Terra) we noticed two particular areas that needed attention.

1. The leading "corner". If it sticks out too much there you have to counter lean the bike to raise and lower the side stand. Less of a drag on this bike I'm sure since it's lighter but can be really annoying on an F800GS loaded up. Yours doesn't look too bad in that respect.
    2. The outside curve where you have the crown or more specifically the first part of it. On the F8 that would dig easily into the ground on really hard cornering. :eek1 Again I'm not sure if that's an issue yet on your bike I just though I would point that out before you weld it on!

[​IMG]

The Husky crown looks cool though! Maybe you can turn it a bit?

Cheers,

Dave
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good job.
  13. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Yes....absolutely!

The sky was clear & sunny today, but still a bit chilly. I was itchin for a long ride, and made some temporary mods to keep my hands warm (still waiting for my fat bar clamps to arrive). I robbed the Husaberg hand guards and strapped my MSR wind guards around them. Worked well enough, but required that I remove the stock bar-end weights for the cobbled setup.

Without the bar weights, I definitely felt vibration in my hands, where I did not feel any before at highway speeds. So, the stock setup is well sorted to reduce or eliminate vibes at the hands. I do believe these are the longest and heaviest bar-end weights I've ever seen or used before. Also likely that the way they mount (screwed into a threaded interior mount) enhances the vibration absorption....though I'm speculating. I can report this is the same way its designed on the stock F800GS bars, also.

It's got me reconsidering my fat bar plans. I may try moving my F800 bar setup over to the the Terra....the whole kit-n-caboodle. Might be worth a test anyway.

The Good News:
    Spent 3hrs and 20 minutes in the saddle today....non-stop. I topped off my tank at the house and never got off the bike until returning 180miles later. It was my longest continuous ride in the seat, and my butt still did not get tired or sore. Crazy!

The Bad News:
    My nice customized windshield is coming off. :cry I got tired of the drumming on my head above 60mph. I'm going to have to modify it further or find a different solution. Maybe it was the shape, or maybe the height (9.5" above stock), I donno. But what didn't bother me too much on a short ride, really became a noise nuisance on a long ride. And yes, I use earplugs! Real good custom fit plugs that knock out 25+ decibels. I just don't like turbulence around my head. Back to the drawing board...

14. davorallyfan

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the thoughtful input Dave [​IMG] - appreciated! You would certainly be cranking it over to scrape the sidestand foot on the Terra!
  15. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Dang---that surprises me that didn't work out-------I bet it's just a bit too tall. My stupid waste basket shield has none of that. And when I'm riding in cold weather and may get to thinkin' it's not doing much-----I stand up and wholly artctic blast==---------------the cold blast that hits me in the upper body tells me my waste basket shield is doing a very good job.

Hope you get it worked out. I was thinkin' of doing something better down the road---but after your experience I think I'll leave it alone.

I'll get you a height measurement on mine Scott when I get out in the sickle garage today.

I did not feel the vibration you felt in your bars after removing the bar-end weights to install the cycro pro-bend handguards---but maybe the cycra's did something to help that.

I just cannot wait for it to warm just a wee bit so I can get out and ride this thing some more-----man that bike is so much fun.

I would really like to take it on a very long solo ride out West later on----a ride I was going to take my KLR on. My Husky is all set up except I'll buy a roto-pax 1 gallon tank to mount on the Woflman expedition racks-----I'll get it from Wolfman---then I'll have about 4.7 gallons of fuel-----my KLR has a 7 gallon tank on it---but I think 4.7 will get me around all right.

I do not like carrying extra fuel--------but the way the tank is on the terra I don't see anyone making a bigger tank---I just don't see how they would incorporate into what is there now.

But I'm pretty much done with mods on my bike.

My favorite 2 things out of all the things I've down to mine is the windshield I made from a waste basket-----a stupid waste basket at that-----------and my high powered LED lights that make daylight out of dark.

Most motorcyclists agree in saying riding at dark nowadays----with all the deer out there is pretty dangerous------- and it is------but with this light it turns it into fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BigDog
  16. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Eric at Hot Rod Welding did say he would be making an X Tank to fit the Terra if there was demand. It would give a 50% increase in fuel and plumbed straight into the oem tank. You would have to go to a single exhaust though.

http://www.hotrodwelding.nl/product.php?id=3
  17. motocrossross

motocrossross Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you guys see BigDogs picture in the Husky flyer that came in the mail a few days ago?
  18. gunnr

gunnr 1957 all stock....

Oddometer:
    What is with the air filter?

Thought I would take a look at how to get to the air filter on the Terra yesterday. What a struggle! Am I missing something? The only way to get the filter and cover out is to force the wiring harness down with one hand and fight with the other. After I did get it out, I noticed the pleats on the filter were bentover. After the struggle getting it back in I am wondering if that corner of the cover could be trimmed or cut back to allow clearance past the harness.
  19. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Agreed----------that air filter door totally sucks. HF seems to be OK with it--but I'm not. And when you push it back in you have no way of knowing if that rubber on the paper filter has been pushed out of place or not and is sealing properly-----if it doesn't and you get in a dusty situation you will trash the motor in less than a hundred miles-------I've seen that happen on other bikes-----this is a very bad design and I don't know what to do about it. Piston--rings and cylinders won't take much dirt at all.

Yes----I had to push very hard on the wiring harness to get it out------at first I didn't think I was.

I did trim the plastic on the door where it rubs the wiring harness----didn't help a whole lot.

I put waterproof grease all along the rubber on the air filter hoping that might take up any small openings not covered.

BigDog
  20. modeselector

modeselector Common as muck

Oddometer:
    Fantastic if this comes to fruition. :thumbup