2012 990R speedo adjust for 19/17 wheels help

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by alongat, Jun 20, 2013.

1. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone - I remember reading on here one time that there is a specific procedure for adjusting the speedo/odo calibration on newer 990s for smaller wheels and I can't find the thread it was in. I'm installing 19/17 wheels on my 2012 990R and need to adjust for the smaller overall circumference. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance
  2. mcmann

mcmann Kid at Heart Supporter

Oddometer:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875592&highlight=Speedo

Per the thread:
    09 onwards? You have to cut the brown/black striped wire on the speedo connector and leave it cut to enable access to the wheel size function.

To adjust the wheel size
    1- press MODE to go to TRIP 1
    2- Hold the MODE key for around 10 sec
    3- It will show actual wheel size. Use the MODE key to increase the wheel size and the SET key to decrease it
    4- Hold the MODE and SET key to exit

The default size on the 990R is 2205mm circumference for the 21" wheel.
    19" - 2040 mm
    17" - 1882 mm

so if yours is 10% out, adjust the circumference figure by 10% and go try again :)
  3. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Brilliant - thank you very much. So that wire that I cut needs to stay uncut for the adjustment and the reattached or do I leave it detached permanently?
  4. mcmann

mcmann Kid at Heart Supporter

Oddometer:
    I only found the thread . . . I do not have a 990.

After reading to the end . . . Better contact your dealer . . . It does not work for everyone.

End of thread:
    Mine is a 2010 990. The referenced instructions did not work. My new HID bulbs arrived, so I'm ready to put it back together. Not knowing what the brown/black wire does, I'll have to solder it back together & button things up.

Edit: Google search shows that others are still struggling with this issue. I'm going to call my expert dealer tomorrow and see if he has any tips. Some of the instructions state to press both buttons while in trip F. I can't seem to get back to trip F now. Puzzled.....
  5. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    My dealer told me today that they cut the same wire and use the same process to set / calibrate. Lets hope it works for me...
  6. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    You don't have to cut it. Take a very small thin screwdriver, pry the tang holding it in the connector and just pull it out. Tape it up and leave it. It only prevents you from changing that setting.
  7. fridgyis

fridgyis Fridgy

Oddometer:
    I agree the wire does not have to be cut. You can remove harness plug from back of speedo.......gently .....and I men gently remove the retainer clip and slid the wire out. It does not have to be re inserted.

Then ..you can play with the setting until you get an accurate setting.

I simply ran a string around the wheel and measured it , then entered that into the size option. Works perfectly!

Why KTM disabled this function is anybody's guess. Seems pretty silly as many LC8 owners run two sets of wheels.
  8. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    When you say "connector", do you mean the large single connector right at the back of the gauge panel or is there a more accessible plug/connector elsewhere?

Thanks again

9. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Update:
    I located and removed the brown/black wire from the harness clip itself - piece of cake when performed carefully but since the black plastic clip holds all the harness wires in the large white clip, I took pictures of wire locations in the clip just in case it all fell apart in my hands :)
    - as per the instructions above and in the thread attached above, I plugged my gauge cluster back in, turned the ignition on and followed the calibration instructions

It seems to have worked for me - I unplugged my gauge cluster, plugged it back in and my newly entered value for my 19" wheel is its new default. I have not road tested it yet but I will soon and compare against GPS speed. If I find my indicated speed off reality, I will be able to easily pull over and adjust my settings on the fly.

Thanks everyone

Off to install my low beam HID into my Euro headlight now...then cut the throttle limiter wires for second and third gears then modify my license plate holder so it looks better and doesn't resemble a droopy penis :) then install my new KTM tank bag with the rear straps mounted to the underside of the seat instead of running down along my tanks and wrapping around the crash bars then ride :)
  10. Northyork

Northyork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Alon, I emailed you back a week ago........check your spam box. Anyhow, there is no need to cut any wires to disable 2nd and 3rd gear limiter. The easy way is to un-check EPC in TUNE-ECU. I belive EPC stands for Electronic Power Control.
  11. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    You're right Fabio - your reply was in my spam. I replied to you earlier this morning...

12. Dualsport Crazy

Dualsport Crazy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Alon....

Can you please share the thread for the on how to bypass the the throttle limiter wires for the 2nd & 3rd gear. I had the thread somehere,but could not locate it.

Much appreciated .... :thumb

Al
  13. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    There is a thread here in orange crush but it references this one within it:

http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72

I will say though that apparently, this can also be accomplished via TuneECU by bypassing this functionality through software rather than cutting / removing wires but if you don't have TuneECU and the cable, you can just cut.

14. Dualsport Crazy

Oddometer:

Hi Alon,

Thanks a million mate for the thread. I do not have the tune-ecu cable, but will try to dis-connect it at the connector for now. However I do have the Akro's on with the Akro map, but will try it out & see if it makes a big difference.

Let me know how your mod went off after dis-connecting the wires & if there was a big difference.

Cheers,
    Al
  15. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I'm not expecting earth-shattering performance change but it would be nice to not be limited to the supposed 80% maximum throttle in those two gears. The other thing to note as well is that I've heard that the KTM Akrapovic map does away with this limitation and i currently have that map loaded in my ECU. Speaking of which, do you like your Akra map? I can't stand mine apart from the power it makes. After my dealer loaded it and did the fifteen minute idle reset, I got to ride the bike one hour to get back home. Way I observed is poor mileage, engine running hotter with additional heat coming off the header piping, vibration and roughness under hard throttle. The only benefit was some found horsepower. I can't wait to get rid of this map.

Where in canada are you?

16. Dualsport Crazy

Oddometer:
    Thanks Alon ... I really dont know if it was done when the akro map was installed. To be honest I got the bike out from the showroom with the akros on so I wouldnt the know the actual difference. My dealer has closed shop now who used to do a great job which is sad.

Any luck with disabling the wires for the 2nd & 3rd gears....

Well I'm located in Mississauga & we should surely catch up sometime.

Cheers,
    Al
  17. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Got busy with work so I'm going to disable them tonight - will report back what the butt-Dyno says :)

For sure, let's catch up sometime - my usual riding buddies seem to be busier nowadays...

18. Dualsport Crazy

Oddometer:

Yeah it never ends eh.... I too have been crazy busy with the month end & have'nt been out for a descent ride in more than 10 days.

It will be great if you can let me know how the disabling goes:)

I may go out for a ride close by if the weather permits.

Have yourself a great long weekend Cheers :freaky
  19. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Wires disconnected now - probably going for a ride tonight to see if my butt can tell the difference...

20. Eataz

Eataz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can we have a picture of your R with the 19/17 on? Really want to get some for mine, but would be nice to see how it looks :)