Melbourne to Canning Stock Route and back ride

Discussion in 'Australia' started by snowypete, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Dirt Doctor

Dirt Doctor Geographicallyembarrassed

Oddometer:
    I'll have another go at an unsupported ride in 2015. We pulled out with an injured rider at Kunna in 2011

I'm going to set up a 450/500 for this one with a 24L safari tank & 8.8L rear tank, giant loop coyote saddle bags, cush drive for the transport, two fuel 10L bladders, & rally bash plate to protect the ankles.

We carried way too much water & food and you can get water around every third well - so only really need to carry 6 liters instead of the 18 we carried - just made things too bloody heavy

will send a parcel to Kunna with dehydrated food in it

will also take a backpack, couldn't have really taken any less but at least when you have a backpack & crash you drop the backpack and then pick the bike up put it on the stand and then put backpack on

Have done the Simpson a few times now and the CSR makes the Simpson look like a walk in the park
  2. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer:
    My plan is for giant-loop coyote .....tent ,exped...few tins of food ...9ltrs water ..60 ltrs fuel ..keep it light as possible gear wise...backpack with 6 ltrs water ..other water in front tank bra with fuel bladders

gunna be a good season this yr ..bring on july :clap
  3. snowypete

snowypete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    JB - The AB done in '11, you and your mate must have been one of the first to do the AB unsupported - just oozes adventure.

'tooo much weight' - the teacher at AB riding school would have given you and your mate detention.

Its just great that other bike riders are doing these big rides independantly. We have such a big back yard to play in (I feel like the minister for outback tourism). Always interested on how other riders go with fuel economy. Any sub-frame issues after stacks, and what gear works and what doesn't. Navigation issues.

One of the best parts of the mega ride that I want to do is camping at night in the Woomera rocket range where they blew up some atomic bombs and see if my balls start to GLOW.

Sno
  4. snowypete

snowypete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canecutter,

Your and your mate on the AB, you got around 11km per litre on opal. Do you know what fuel economy you fellas were getting on normal fuel?

Again just great to see other riders having a real crack.

-- Lifetime memories :freaky:freaky

Sno
  5. 59DEN

59DEN Long timer

Oddometer:
    The distances between water is greater on the Northern Section of the CSR, from my experience last year, the min. amount of water I would recommend is 15L.
    A break down, injury or temperature above 30c can quickly use up your water and even though there are a lot of people on the CSR, I only saw on average 1 4WD / convoy a day, with none one day.
    Water is like fuel if you have enough and some in reserve, you are not overly worried about it and enjoy your ride and have a buffer.
    Enjoy your trip
    Cheers
    Dennis
  6. 59DEN

59DEN Long timer

Oddometer:
    'tooo much weight' - the teacher at AB riding school would have given you and your mate detention.

Hey Sno, I will go and stand in the corner as well :lol3:lol3
  7. J_B

J_B Mid-life Crisis

Oddometer:
    My riding partner showed his superior skill by getting his gs800 down the track with the same fuel reserves but 40l of water.
    The DRZ averaged 5.7L/100km , the racks I had made for the DRZ were designed to strengthen the sub frame and bolted low onto the main frame just back from the foot pegs, also replaced all the sub frame bolts with high tensile.

Both bikes were faultless despite plenty of slow offs in the soft sand.
    Would like to see a photo of the 950se with 80L that sounds like hard work!!
    [​IMG]
  8. J_B

J_B Mid-life Crisis

Oddometer:
    Dud
  9. snowypete

snowypete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi D Dr,

---- teach will have u top of the class!!!

and your thinking of doing an unsupported ride in '15. My head is starting to spin. Might get in touch.

The rally bash plate to protect your ankles v's termi mounds - good idea

(was your mate injured by those termi terrorists?)
  10. snowypete

snowypete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Big S O,

We are on the same page. Have you had a good run with the fuel bladders?

This winter the outback is going to be like the Normanby invasion with bikes!!!!

YEP....bring it on.

The AB for 4x4s in 3 days - JB

One 4x4 from Coober to Ilkurlka - C Cutter

CSR one 4x4 a day,none on one day - Den59

Thats peak hour

Sno
  11. snowypete

snowypete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep Den,

Hear what your saying - covering as many possibilities.

Minimum water 15ltr on top half of CSR.

D Doc - 6ltr down from previous trip from 18ltr.

Suppose we all calculate risk against the variables. Temp at the time -- how hard the rider is working and sweating.

Did a ride south of the Kalahari desert in Namibia a few years ago in late summer (dumb thing to do). I remember drinking 9ltr that day and still felt thirsty that night.

My personal take is to drink enough water so you feel like a piss before you hit the sack.

Sno
  12. pRICK

pRICK Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have proof there is still beer out there............................... or it may be dingo or camel piss by now if they found it. A couple of spare tubes as well.

23 04' 16 28" S 123 13' 3306" E

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hidden too well for UncleGra and TonyRDR to find at Well 23 fuel dump.
  13. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    No wonder we couldnt find it...we looked up and down between the turn off and the fuel dump for the tree... tree..?? what farkin tree Tony.. that Tony reckoned the beer was buried...we didnt have the Co -ords. We didnt look to the north of the dump...bugga bugga....that episode nearly cost us a divorce..:D...actually I dont think I thanked you for the effort as I didnt know or couldnt remember who it was...but any way thanks ..Im sure had we found it our ride would have been over ...I know mine would have been..:freaky...:lol3:lol3...hopefully its still there...
  14. Dirt Doctor

Oddometer:
    Big thing is that you will have access to water potentially several times a day coming from the North. Three riders each carry 18-20L was over kill and contributed to the fatigue factor

Would need to go through my notes but you have Bilunia then water available at Lake Gregory (worth the detour) and then another few more wells before Kunna - Well 49 44 38 & 33 from memory. Also remember that when we got to the well we had a big drink and also aimed to camp there so we would have access to the water.

So when I do it again it will be with 3-4 bikes each carrying around 6L

We did it in July 2011 & it was like a freeway I think we would have passed 3-5 groups a day heading north and also passed groups camped up who would normally come over and have a chat - even scored some ice blocks off one family

[​IMG]
  15. Dirt Doctor

Oddometer:
  16. J_B

J_B Mid-life Crisis

Oddometer:
    To the detriment of our OLO's coke seems to be available at every community so cold mixers occasionally available or bundy & CSR well water takes the edge of a days ride.
    [​IMG]
  17. AL510

AL510 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Rob, hows it going? 2015 you reckon, i might be keen to have a crack at it then myself after having to pull out last time.i dont know about an enduro bike but i might have to build up a new dr. After looking at every thing on the market at the moment i dont think there are too many other options. Maybe we could get Danoj keen again for another crack as well.

Hey snowy, i would love to go this year but i dont think i could get organised by then. Have you had many takers?
  18. Dirt Doctor

Oddometer:
    No worries Al - we need you & Dan in this photo next time

DR - shit man when are you going to get some taste

[​IMG]
  19. 59DEN

59DEN Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. Dirt Doctor

Oddometer: