Mini Adventure bike - TW200

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ChopperCharles, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Kankujoe

Kankujoe Adventure Traveller

Oddometer:
    Missouri, west central, south of Kansas City
    Cool thread for a cool ride! Miles of smiles.

TWs are like a two wheeled Jeep Wrangler...... May not be fast but they'll go anywhere.
  2. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    looks better than a rokon

do they all come with lovely ladies or are they extra?
  3. MotoManic

MotoManic I don't care where we are going, but that we go!

Oddometer:
    Found this 1992 TW locally for sale for $800 (I have not bought it.. yet), was my first encounter in real life with the type after years of pondering it online. Someone called it a "Frankenbike", haha, and it certainly is:

[​IMG]

The front end is from a Husqvarna, and it has no turn signals. Somewhat beat up, but I was amazed that it started after just a few kicks (battery flat).

I'm most impressed at how light the bike is in terms of hoistability, I can imagine it would be dirt simple to wrestle back up again after a drop.

Never got to try it out, as I think the pilot jet is plugged after sitting for months, and the bike couldn't idle long enough for me to get it in gear.

Note the kick-starter lever hanging down -- the spring is gone inside, so you have to lift it up with your toe to use it each time. Is that an easy fix?

Am I barking up the wrong tree with this monster?
  4. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shouldn't be too much of a problem!...go for it!.....I'm aware this response is almost two month's late....:clap
  5. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    After my post TWO YEARS AGO!, I sold some bikes and got two used TW's as planned. Two very low mileage ones.

Now they both have about 3000 or more.

It's a lot of fun.

Are they capable on the freeway? NO. Can you ride one on the freeeway? YES.

I ride mine about 40 miles on the freeway in traffic to my favourite off road area. I just do a steady 55 in the truck lane, usually shielded by a truck. I just follow a slow truck. I have done 70 but I don't like to hammer the bike like that.

It shines off road, and there gas capacity isn't a problem. I ride mine like a Trials bike...slow but never stop! It just goes and goes. Basically it's point and shoot.

One of my riding friends has a XT225. I do all he can do AND MORE. On road, even though he has six gears I race away from him easily. On tight paved roads I am sure you could scrape a knee, the stock tires are so grippy. I love to dash through the mountain roads and keep her spinning in fourth and fifth. Anyone that knows, knows it fun to ride a small slow bike fast! I normally ride a BMW R1150GS, so this is quite a departure.

I got the CycleRacks. Great guy to deal with. I can't find a use for the front rack after two years still! I bolted a big Dry bag on the rear, YES BOLTED, I put a thin metal plate inside the bag and bolted it through the rack. Colleen has taken a VERY heavy commercial sewing machine to town on her CycleRack in her dry bag! I also bolted two 'Tractor Tubes' under the rear rack on each bike.
    Sometimes I also use my magnetic tank bag on my bike, it only falls off when I do!

We hopefully will head south on this continent very soon now we are retired. You should hear the arguments! I want to take the TW's, Colleen wants to take her BMW R1150GS! I think it would be a blast to ride the TW to Panama and then maybe beyond. YES, the bike is that capable.
    We were in Alaska last year on our BMW's. We both wished for our TW's. We saw one on Main St in Dawson City! Brought a tear to my eye.
  6. Kankujoe

Oddometer:
    Great write up!

What do your beemer friends think? I'm thinking about taking my TW to the upcoming BMWmoa National Rally that will be here in Missouri next month.
  7. ty.zardoz

ty.zardoz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im not the builder.. I bought it from the po/builder. I think he did a great job ! :clap

[​IMG]

tyz
  8. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    EEEKKKKK!....that took some time and planning I bet!.
  9. RobertAmsterdam

RobertAmsterdam https://www.instagram.com/ktmfreerideexc/

Oddometer:
    hi!
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LjGEzRjKVZ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

testing exhausts

cheers!

TW-Bastards

and some riding:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S807vvlwRkA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lGCYHZds1nU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  10. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    When you TW brethern get around to lubing the swing-arm(via the grease zerks) do you REALLY use the recommeded grease...lithium soap base grease....or do you use "whatever"?. TIA
  11. Kwizard

Kwizard Conservative

Oddometer:
    I use synthetic marine grease.
  12. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good info kwizard!.
  13. Kankujoe

Oddometer:
    +1
  14. wayno

wayno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Me too!
  15. NorthBayPete

NorthBayPete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a 99 TW200 as my first bike 6 years ago and just bought a 2010 last fall. I also have other bikes but the TWs are the only bikes I will never sell. My 99 has a 45 tooth rear sprocket and Bridgestone 203/204 tires... so much fun in the twisties..... I try not to let people see me laughing as I pass them.
  16. EnduroRdr

EnduroRdr Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer:
    Formerly BR-LA, LR-AR, Houston-Tx, now SouthMS
    Bump, just subscribed .
    Picked up a 2006 TW last year.
    One of my new favorites for poking around the forest.