Speeding ticket Near Lexington, VA. Need a local traffic attorney?

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by chrishsu, Feb 24, 2013.

1. chrishsu

chrishsu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was driving, 79mph on I-81 South near Lexington, VA two weeks ago. The speed limit posted is 70mph and I was pulled over and given a ticket for 79/70 by a VA trooper. I live in Maryland and have clean record at least for the past 5 years. I would like to keep the record clean so as not to up my insurance rates. In MD, in the past I would go to a traffic court to plead guilty with explanations and would get points reduced but pay court fees and fines. Does it work the same in Lexington, VA? Or should I hire a local traffic attorney who will fix the speeding ticket for me? Any local attorneys you would recommend?

Thanks!
  2. 5punksdad

5punksdad Tag-Master-Flash

Oddometer:
    va points should not appear on your MD license......i got a dui in wv that never appeared on VA license!
  3. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Call the number on the ticket, or the court house. Ask them if there is a way to keep the infraction off your record for insurance purposes. A lot of states will let you take "Deferred Adjudication" for a certain period of time, and so long as you do not get another infraction in that time you pay the infraction fee plus some court fees and the infraction never shows up on your record. Paying an attorney will just cost you even more money for basically the same results.
  4. BigDoc

BigDoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your first instincts were correct...you need a lawyer.

Several lawyers will send you letters in the mail as soon as your violation makes it to the public records; but an inmate here with a good reference would be better. IGNORE ANYONE who tries to tell you that you do not need a lawyer.
  5. 5punksdad

Oddometer:

pre-law? :rofl
  6. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    If you care about it that much, you better get a lawyer, they can make this problem go away, for a price of course. However, I might throw out there that if you do nothing, and pay the stupid thing, the odds that your insurance is going to increase from getting one speeding ticket for 9 over in another state are pretty low. They probably won't even ever know about it.
  7. screamin injin

screamin injin FUBAR

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised 79/70 and you got a ticket? Did you flip him off or something? :evil
  8. 5punksdad

Oddometer:
    MD tags in Lexington VA???? Cop was looking for a drug bust not a speeding ticket.:norton
  9. chrishsu

chrishsu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nah, I was driving a BUICK SUV trailering two bikes! I was very surprised to get a ticket for 9 mph over the posted speed limit.
  10. 5punksdad

Oddometer:

u know them bikers are always drunk and high.....cmon man. :rofl
  11. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    Let me get this right...
    You WERE doing 79 in a 70 and that's what the ticket is for?
  12. kwdunn

kwdunn n00b

Oddometer:
    The cop may have done you a favor..... 80 and over is reckless driving in VA no matter what the speed limit. Hope you get it worked out.
  13. 5punksdad

Oddometer:
    true:deal

and the OP admitted his guilt here......no lawyer is going to like to hear that. Just pay the ticket via mail and forget it.
  14. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    bingo!
  15. BigDoc

BigDoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I knew some clueless responses would come. GET AN ATTORNEY.
  16. 5punksdad

Oddometer:
    ya.....listen to this guy, pay an attorney to get you out of a measly speeding ticket.:deal

I have a better idea....find a shop to give you a repair order for your speedometer and get the ticket dropped completely. Its cheaper than a lawyer, and more honest.
  17. Kawikazi

Kawikazi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have lived in Virginia for over 20 years and fought atleast a half dozen tickets in court and my batting average is pretty good about getting no or reduced points. Go to court without a lawyer, plead guilty and apologize to the judge for taking up his time but that you need to keep the points off your license for professional job reasons and you are willing to take a driver improvement course to avoid points. He will most likely suspend the charge with a court order for you to take the one day driver improvement course that you can take on a Saturday for about $100.
    As for lawyers, I hired one for a more serious traffic infraction about a year ago and wasted $2500 because I got the same standard punishment as everyone else in the same boat regardless of legal represtation or not. Most Lawyers, unless you know them personally, will take your case for the money even if they know they can't change the outcome of your case. This world would be a better place without them.
  18. morsetaper2

morsetaper2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's going to cost more? The lawyer (and any trips you might make down/back to Lexington) or the "possible" increase in insurance cost. I bet you'll spend $500-$700 on a lawyer, right?

I'd pay the fine and forget about it. What is 9 mph over.... 1 pt on your MD DL??? Isn't going to mean diddly to the insurance co., esp since you say you currently have a clean record. And in 3 yrs its gone from an insurance pt of view anyway. And there is a chance it might not get on your MD record.

My $.02