XR650R Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JustinT, Nov 24, 2008.

1. RZRob

RZRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, San Clemente. I think the shorter (slower) runs was to accommodate more novice riders as more of a PR event. Besides OX, there have been some pretty serious injuries. The event is now to bring in sponsors etc.

RZ Rob
  2. RZRob

RZRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice, sort of the TDR thing. I'm rebuilding a clean RZ350 as we speak. Hope to assemble the cases over the holidays.

We now return to our regularly scheduled thread.

RZ Rob
  3. Unsung

Unsung Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alright, so the other day I rode my bike and the clutch would stick when upshifting hard. Today I rode it a long ways and when I turned back on my road and got down hard on it, it started making a funny noise. It doesn't make the noise if it's clutched all the way, but in any gear, neutral, or just slightly eased off on the clutch it sounds like a giant penny spinning on the ground horizontally. Clutchhhh
  4. Chipperdoo2

Chipperdoo2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    East Coast USA-Pennsylvania,
    so if you have one probly too much $$$$ form your local to mine?

What are you thinking?
  5. Lostsaffa

Lostsaffa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I thought I would just check on the off chance you were this side of the World ;) i ain't gonna be much help from here!
  6. Toaliosis

Toaliosis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As easy as this sounds, I don't think it will work since the Helicoil tap is too short.
    I can't see a way to get the tap tool on the tap to get a straight thread cut.
    Maybe someone can enlighten me....
    Other wise I think I'll be going with the swing arm buddy kit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Open-ended wrench. In a pinch, a Crescent wrench. If you do go with that, get a metric one...
  8. Toaliosis

Toaliosis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very funny.
    I'm curious if the wrench idea will give a straight tap....
  9. hontri

hontri Global Bummer!

Oddometer:
    I hate being defeated. If it were me i would cut the end off the tap using an angle head grinder with a cut off wheel then carefully grind a couple of flats on the now (shorter tap) to suit the open end wrench you will be using. But that's me:wink:
  10. Mur

Mur Wheee!

Oddometer:
    I just went through the exact same thing you are going through, last week. It was only a semi-headache. :1drink lol.

I used an open end wrench and it tapped just fine... I'm sure the steel heli coil will work alot better with steel bolts,not that I didn't smother them in anti seize,and drill a drain hole:deal Oh, and I used Red Loc-tite on the new heli coil threads I put in, just to make sure they didn't go anywhere. Something I read somewhere.
    Patience was key with this one.

EDIT: I see the problem you're having,now. With the tap being too close to the swing arm...
  11. bill pierce

bill pierce I don't wana pickle

Oddometer:
    The flats of that tap are right against the aluminum with the tap straight. As soon as it is turned 1/8 turn it won't be straight again. Don't think that's going to work.

Some machine tool suppliers stock or can order you a "long tap" allows you to get into a hole like that. I have a few in standard sizes.
  12. ODSC1

ODSC1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Weld a short 1/4 drive extension on to the end of the tap. I had a tool like this made up at work to tap out the stock holes. Just used it again last week. Works perfect.

Brian
  13. EduardoMas

EduardoMas Spartan Overlander

Oddometer:
    In the 1st pic the hole seems off-centre. On the second pic it seems that the tap is crooked towards the arm at the shank side.

If the square of the shank is not already ¼” or just under, use a grinder to take material off all four sides and then use a ¼” socket driver extension. You can get a cheap one and grind the OD if you need to.

Put the extension on the tap and use a tap handle or even a wrench on the ¼” male side.

When specifying inserts (at work) I only use helicoils for occasional use. For higher service I rather use Time Serts for repairs. Higher cost, but reliable in the long run. Then there are E-Z lok, great as an OEM choice, but they need more material to tap a larger thread.

Good luck.
  14. EduardoMas

Oddometer:
    Hey Brian :-)
    I have your tools... will you make it to the Bike show in TO?
  15. ODSC1

ODSC1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Eduardo!

Won't be at the show this year. Leaving for Central America on Wednesday with the new XR(05) . Back at the end of January.
  16. EduardoMas

Oddometer:
    Just sent a PM at the ODSC with Garmin tracks from 2005 with some advice on how to follow it. If nothing else, it shows the beginning and end of some trails. Look at them on google maps and see if you find them useful.

Enjoy the south!
  17. Toaliosis

Toaliosis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

As I’m finding out the Helicoil taps aren’t “standard” sizes, I don’t believe a “long tap” exists for it.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>

I don’t have a welder but my buddy does…might have to take a trip to see him.<o:p></o:p>
    I just set the tap in the hole for picture purposed, I had begun tapping it yet hence why the tap appears to be cattywampus. The flat side of the tap is extremely close to the swing arm, I doubt grinding and then shaving down an extension would give me the clearance I need.<o:p></o:p>
    Thanks everyone for their input. I’m going to try welding the extension on to the tap. I'll let you know how it works out.
  18. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Don't do that, just throw it in the chop saw and cut the tap in half, grind some new flat spots into it until a 12 point socket fits, it'll be in the area where the axle goes then and a socket will clear.

Wham, bam, thank you ma'am, all done.
  19. ride4fun562

ride4fun562 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Women drive like shit and do not understand right of way, they would be completely usless if they did not have vaginas. That is all :becca
  20. medisyn

medisyn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the XR ok? :cry