The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. i_isntreal

i_isntreal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They probably have a removable oil pan. Kind of like a V8 where you have to put the piston on the connecting rod and drop it into the jug. Only it would be a bit more of a headache to get the top connecting rod bolt on/off. Nothing impossible, just a headache, and another specialty tool for the stealerships to sell.
  2. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    I'm still stuck on the water cooling. If a boxer twin isn't air cooled, there is no need to run one. So many engine layouts can do everything better IMO, except for air cooling.
  3. OConnor

OConnor Bad Juju

Oddometer:
    The cylinders are like really expensive frame savers.:lol3
  4. gelandestrasse

gelandestrasse Fidem Scit

Oddometer:
    You can get the frame saver saver. And since that's kind of expensive to replace if it gets scuffed there's the frame saver saver saver that protects the frame sever saver which is necessary to protect the frame saver.
  5. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    You are so Right, Really good point, The Boxer's Make sense if you need to keep the heads cool down by the air (well Oildheads kind of do it too)
    [​IMG]

But the extra width is kind of waste if the engine is cooled by water
  6. Knee Dragger

Knee Dragger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    The full bike pick is a terrible photoshop of a mix of 1150GSA, R1200R and doG only knows what.

As for the motor, I highly doubt that is anything like any possible very future Water Boxer.

Jim :brow
  8. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    Jim what makes you say that...:huh
  9. kvr929rr

kvr929rr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can't really tell if the cylinders are integral with the block from that picture. Having the cylinder not attached to the block is not an impediment to water cooling either. The CBR1000RR has separate crankcase and cylinder blocks. Having the cylinders stick out with a longitudnal crankshaft does have other advantages over other layouts such as packaging & handling
  10. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Now, don't be getting all logical...and shit. :rofl
  11. SocalRob

SocalRob Super Moderator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Looks to me like the engine block includes the cylinders. I'm guessing this configuration results in lighter weight engine, but that is a guess. May also be cheaper to assemble.

I would rather have lighter weight than larger engine.
  12. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    How often do you need to put in new pistons? Integrating the cylinders into the crankcase has been status quo with high performance inline fours for two decades.
  13. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    Packaging and handling? Have you checked out the competition??

I see the boxer having three big disadvantages. Width, port shape and a very long valve train times two not to mention all the trouble BMW has gone to to get a handle on crank case pressure.
  14. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    I'm sure that the future will be cool (water cooled boxer) and I can't wait to test ride one when they finally arrive.
  15. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Me too. What I like most is that I will dampen the sound of the engine. The rest - I don't care whether it is water or air cooled as long as I don't sit in traffic for too long.
  16. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    :nod Yes, I know it has. I was wrenching professionally in the 1980s when they started to make that change. Didn't like it then, don't like it now.

I've done plenty of piston and/or ring replacements and they become a whole lot harder when the cylinders are integral to the block. One may not need to do it often, but it didn't used to be so bad if you did; now it will be a full teardown of the motor and the cost of that will result in bikes being junked. IMHO.
  17. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    Same was said when Porsche made the move, are we better or worse off today? :lol3

If the appeal of the boxer was how it is cooled perhaps you've really missed the point. I really don't see the issue with continuing the configuration since it is synonymous with BMW and highly successful. Also every type of motor configuration has moved from air to air - oil to air - liquid cooling and retained the same configuration, BMW has just been late to the game. Why should BMW change configurations? Certainly 100 bhp is enough to keep the configuration going and as with the HP2S there is certainly more bhp to be gained.
  18. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    What other point is there? Low CG? Now we know that low CG isn't good on a bike. Centralized CG is. Are there any others?

Porsche? They were air cooled in a completely different way. Low CG in a car (or hack) IS a good thing!
  19. Basic_Gerd

Basic_Gerd Gerd

Oddometer:
    That's the only way one can do that...!
  20. Basic_Gerd

Basic_Gerd Gerd

Oddometer:
    Look at the pics - I can't see anything alike. No, just face it guys: you'll have to split the engine - take it out first - ... in fact, roll back the full factory assembling process, and then in reverse order ... :eek1

As has been said: this is what BMW is sure their clientship is alike.