Dual sport gps

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by avgas, Jan 28, 2013.

1. avgas

avgas amateur

Oddometer:
    I'm a gps noob, so forgive my ignorance. I've been reading through the posts here, but it's only gotten me so far...

I'm looking for gps that can handle rough dual sport use. My understanding is I'll need tracks for offroad, as well as routes for directions on the road. It'll also be used occasionally for xc skiing, car trips, etc. I don't do week + road trips on the motorcycle, so running it off batteries might be ok? (if it's a unit with usb power) Screen size isn't much of an issue, I can live with slowing down to read the thing.

So far I'm leaning towards the garmin 62s or 78s. I don't see the 78s on REI's website, and I was leaning towards buying it from them because of the easy returns. Maybe the deals elsewhere are so much better that I should forget about REI though...

Anyway, would those units work well for me? Are there other ones I should consider? I don't really want to spend much more than the 62/78s, and cheaper is always better.
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    62 will not run on 12 V.

78 from WestMarine.com $200

62/78 just ok for simple car use, cheap Nuvi is 100 times better.

The best "Does it all" would be Montana
  3. BrewMoto

BrewMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The 62 is pretty sweet. Mine was stolen and now I have an Oregon. I gotta say, I prefer the 62 for a couple reasons:
    - The touch-screen on the Oregon, Montana, etc. is nearly impossible to use w/heavy gloves. Even with my burly ice climbing gloves, I could hit the buttons on the 62 with relative ease.
    - The matte plastic touch screen is really tough to read when it's dimmed (much unlike the 62 series, which has a glass screen that looks great and is less affected by glare when the backlight isn't activated)

However, the bigger screen on the touch screen models is really handy sometimes - especially when mounted to handlebars or the like. They also have other cool optional features like a built-in camera, blah blah...

The 78s are cool, too. Great for marine use. They float! That's a nice feature. They are pretty huge, though.

Really, it's a matter of preference. They're all great. Play with them all in the store and see which one you like best. The 78s are cool, but come with different maps, i think...I don't know much about em.

My preference lies in the 62. I think it can't be beat.
    (I use my unit for hiking, skiing, motorcycling, sailing on some little lakes, and hunting)
  4. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd second that. I'm happy with mine.

It's all a compromise. The 62s doesn't have a dictated 12vdc power connector like the 78 does. External dc power is though a mini-usb connector (5VDC). I run mine exclusively off PowerEx batteries and a PowerEx Wizard One battery charger.

The 62 uses a quad helix antenna. The 78 is considered a marine unit. It uses a patch antenna, which has very good reception as long as the unit is held flat. The quad helix antenna improves reception and is better suited to holding the GPS in a more upright vertical position.

There's a 62/78 thread that has more information.

daryl
  5. River Pilot

River Pilot "Razor Six"

Oddometer:
    Good morning Avgas,

You might find this information helpful.

Regarding maps, whether City Navigator or TOPO, this information should prove useful.

Good luck,

River Pilot
    Cheyenne, WY. U.S.A.
    Web: www.riverspilot.com
  6. avgas

avgas amateur

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I've decided to pull the trigger on the basic garmin 78 for $200 at westmarine. I would have liked the compass and barometric altitude features of the 78s, but not at that price difference. I also got the garmin 24k topos, since I'll be using it for xc skiing and hiking as well. We'll see if it has enough of the backcountry unmaintained roads.
  7. mcnut

mcnut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good choice! The 78 will give you an GPS satellite generated altitude which is fair for accuracy, and compass function while moving. Not a big loss.

Bruce
  8. Bigbugberg

Bigbugberg De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    I've had 2 GPS fail because the mini USB connector broke from the board inside. No warranty because "the unit was abused and not used for it's intended purpose."

I now have a Delorme PN40 which has a very robust connector powered by a BurnsMoto usb plug hardwired to the battery.

Great for trails but wont navigate you through town.
  9. jberg98n

jberg98n Intermediate MotoGeezer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I too am severely tech challenged... The Garmin 78 doesn't look too far beyond my capabilities. Does it log altitude and travel speed?
  10. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those are standard data items for each track point for all Garmins that record tracks.
  11. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the patch antenna on the 78 a problem for motorcycle mounted tracking ?
    How far vertical will the 78 tolerate ?

I suppose if standing up riding lt wont be much of a problem anyway :wink:

Has anyone heard about the 62 series having a problem shutting off in the middle of tracking as mentioned on some of the gps websites ? .Multiple users post that they mysteriously lose tracking claim it is a problem with the software and not a power issue, Upgrdes not working as a fix ?
  12. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I assume it performs like a 76x which is fantastic. Never ever lost satilite contact like old 76 did in canyons or under cover.

Both 60 & 76 had vibration problems when running on batteries which is why you need 12V power input.
  13. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never had a problem with my 76Cx using Powerex NiMH which fit just a bit snugger than disposable AAs.
  14. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    1) Many people say this, but 100 people not having a problem with a consumer product has no information. Two people having the same problem has tons of information.

2) NiMH are much lighter and are what should always be used.

3) Put strips of black electrical tape under batteries and on cover until you can just get the twist lock closed to really hold batteries in place.

4) Running GPS on 12 V eliminates any battery draw and therefore arcing even if they do vibrate. The 60 have known problem with internal battery connection that gets dirty from constant arcing and finally fails.
    Steve03636 likes this.
  15. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    So then ,
    may I presume with reasonable probability that the numerous reports I have been reading about the 62s,sc,stc series repeatedly "losing tracks" at random , with no solution found, even after being sent back to the factory several times, could be from battery shifting ?
    or could it be that the 10,000 points per track was exceeded and is being misdiagnosed by the user as a hardware malfunction when in reality it is a software design deficiency ?

I prefer the configuration of the 60 / 62 over the seaworthy 76 / 78
    but as 60 is phasing out and hearing about this 62 glitch I am on the fence over getting anything because IMO the price of these gadgets, (especially used ones so that is not a good option), cost barely justifies their advantage over maps and my innate sense of direction that has got me this far.

the good 'ol paper roll chart and odometer is hard to beat, GPS is cool but it is a costly PITA for what you get [/cynical rant]
  16. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    1) I am not aware of any 1st hand reports of this?

2) Most people think this but I have NEVER seen one report of a 76-78 user ever complaining. Once you ride with one you see there is no problem. You don't look at GPS while puching buttons unless you like crashing. Also the buttons on 76 are much easier to feel & use with gloves on than 60. The 60 has a few problems, 76 none, 62 has no 12V (deal breaker), that leaves 78 at only $200 as the new choice.

3) In the big picture of motorcycle operation cost, $200 is not a big ticket item amertized over 3-5 years. Roll chart is great and has lots of information all riders should be reading but for Navagaton, GPS is like autopilot.
  17. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know you are right Jerry
    78 is the best choice
    and GPS is great , ve have been in so many arguments on the trail about where we actually are on the map and the GPS ends all arguments

but I also ride solo a lot and on the 950 so I am also looking into the 478/378/376c/276c types , can they take a dual sport download just fine ?

will you always be issuing roll charts ?
    or are you trying to get away from them
  18. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Riding a 950 and worried about GPS cost?

They have a big following but I think they may be a little limited on track download, check specs.

I think the Montana is the choice for Adv riding and your car and will also do Dual Sport fine, just a little big for some guys on small dirt bikes, but several are using them.

I have to have roll charts for 20-30% of new riders at big rides who have not popped for GPS. Last two rides, no one even put their roll chart in. I don't like that because there is information on roll chart that you can't put in GPS and no one ever reads my instructions.
  19. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the garmin 62 series... can a route be sent to the device?
  20. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    62 is a non-starter it doesn't have a 12V power input.

78 accepts routes however if you are into routing (not following Tracks) you would probably be happier with more of a street unit or Montana.