Boise ride this weekend...

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by ryanwilliamcantrell, Oct 17, 2007.

1. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Swanholm LO is another of my favorites … I thought about running up that day, but we still had a few miles to cover. There is a trail that runs the ridge from the LO that takes you over to Warrior Lakes ….. pretty easy ride unless you drop off the ridge to the lakes, where it gets a bit more interesting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Looking N from the LO into Deer Park/Goat Mtn

[​IMG]
    SE Ridge towards Warrior Lakes, the trail runs along this ridge …

[​IMG]
    View off the west side ….

[​IMG]
    View off the east side looking down into Graham ….
  2. bikerlibre

bikerlibre Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow! that's an awesome view from up there. Right in the Sawtooth's backyard! Thanks for digging up the photos. I had wondered if you guys had been up there before. I'm sure after today, the peak is covered in snow...until next year I guess.
  3. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    I'm open and want to get as much riding in as possible before it gets too cold.....yea I'm a mostly fair weather rider. My bike is street legal, but I don't want to ride too much pavement so where would be a good point to meet??
  4. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    Lets put it on the list for next year. I think we could just use Jason's reports as a guide for a lot of great rides. :deal
  5. bikerlibre

bikerlibre Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, for sure. Lots of good routes those guys know. Following in their tracks with just a trusty map or two makes it that much more fun! :wings
    Have a great ride if you get out this week. The rain has cleared away all that smog that built up. Higher up may have some snow. :hmmmmm
  6. trav520

trav520 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I'm a rider from Tennessee and ride dual sport and dirt.
    So I'm gonna be in boise on sunday, Nov 17 and would really like to rent a bike or two for the day and ride around. Any recommendations for places to rent a Klr, drz, or Similar? I would even consider a private rental if anyone is interested. Just PM me.
    Will there still be good riding that time of the year? Was up in the area this summer and saw a ton of dual sport areas to ride it seemed and really wanted a bike!
    Thanks!
    Trav520
  7. silverspurs

silverspurs why?

Oddometer:
    at that time of year, above 6000' elevation will start to be risky for snow, but below that, you should be safe... but depends on weather...

West of Boise out in the Owyhee Desert will probably be good, the Owyhee Back Country Byway via Jordan Valley Oregon and Grandview Idaho is a fantastic DS loop ride...
  8. MingRidesBikes

MingRidesBikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Gowen rd chevron would be the best jumping off point. fuel up then head out. pioneer cemetery is up hwy 21, then we can hit barber flat cabin, then thorn creek lookout, and finally back to boise. Never ridden this way, but I'm guessing with stops, it'll be about 4-5 hours max from boise and back. Weather permitting meet up at Gowen rd Chevron @ 10:00am?
  9. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was kinda fun digging those out of the archive.... they were taken about 4 yrs ago.... however have been up one other time since. If so desired... one can connect almost entirely via singletrack from Granite ..... Rabbit (Whoopty Hell), Hungarian, Barber Flat, Horse Haven.
  10. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    Sounds good....so how about Friday? Something just came up for Thursday.
  11. MingRidesBikes

MingRidesBikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I can do that. you can always text me as well. pm'ing you my phone number.
  12. bikerlibre

bikerlibre Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just looked over my map to follow the routes you're referring to. Are these the trails used in the annual 2-day qualifier enduro? How dual-sport bike friendly are they? We rode trail 593 a few weeks ago which goes from Bald Mnt. into ID City and it was nice. But I've also been on trail 122, the William Pouge trail at it was a side-hill traverse that I did not like. It'll be interesting to explore more of those routes. Thanks again.
  13. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trails past Garman Crk I don't believe are ran in the qualifier any more.... the ones closer to Granite (Hoodoo , Lower Rabbit (whoopty hell :D) might be included depending on which side of HWY 21 they are set up on. Unfortunately I have have seen IC trails in pretty good shape get torn to hell after the qualifier, so it can be hit or miss.

A good staging spot for this loop would be Moores Summit... take Rabbit (167) to the first intersection to then drop into German Crk, take the road into Barber Flat and connect Barber Flat (049) to Grand Mtn (061) to Horse Haven (050) .... Horse haven climbs up to West Warrior (051) which pops you out right below the lookout. The trails along the west side of the look out are typical Idaho intermediate ..... taking West Warrior past the lookout will turn into more advanced switchback hell once you drop off the ridge.

From the LO, you can backtrack West Warrior/Horse Haven or drop down the road, which is pretty much an ATV track. Once back on Swanholm Road, the adventure isn't over, there are multiple routes to get back depending on which direction you want to go.... routing back to Barber Flat will allow you to run back up Hungarian (166) to Moores.

.....Grand Mountain Trail (061), Browns Creek Trail (048)
    , ...... Road 348 out of Deer Park, the Bear Summit ATV Trails (288) that Jason and I rode in his last report.

I have found that including too much singletrack can really extend your day.... so for the sake of covering some ground I will usually route most of my DS loops through the more scenic roads and connect short trail sections....

Road 312 into Graham is a fun and scenic out and back, you can connect Horse Haven out of Graham, but you have to cross Johnson Creek which can be problematic .... and as with all the above mentioned trails, deadfall can be an issue.

http://www.trails.idaho.gov/

:thumb
  14. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    I.m out :cry Have to get some stuff done around the house before it gets cold. Contractor is making a shed foundation tomorrow and I want/need to assemble the sauna I just got off CL. This rain is making me want to get it all done now before it really gets cold. I'll call and make sure you get the message. Have a great, safe ride.
  15. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    So, any of your hooligans seen any grouse while out riding? Looking to get some bird hunting in. Any up on the Boise Ridge? Inquiring minds would like to know. I am still trying to figure out how to mount a Koplin gun carrier on my bike :D Guess I could just sling it over my back but OH the stares I'd get.

Really anyone seen a good grouse area? I like this guys setup.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/G6UPds6ZABo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  16. Idarider

Idarider R1200GS

Oddometer:
    Hi Sam,

We have used contender pistols with the 10" .45/.410 barrel and #9 shot for years. Ride all day and never notice the shotgun on your hip.
    Very effective at 20 yards or less on hundreds of grouse. Shoulder, bandolier, or hip holster depending on what you like. Change out the barrel for another caliber or unscrew the choke for a .45 . I did that once and went stalking a bear on a hillside then got some common sense:huh and quit trying to find the bear.

We usually have a running bet and if each of us gets grouse the one who has the most pellets in the breast has to cook dinner ( usually 1 or 2 pellets will get you dinner duty).

If you are shooting wild flushing birds this is not a good set up though I have gotten several in flight. It is not something I would want most people to try and I do not unless it is a good setup. You would probably do fine with that. The trigger is good from the factory and can be made really good.
  17. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    .22 pistol can serve for grouse duty, too, and easier to carry along then a shotgun....
  18. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:

Have seen a few on the backside of Pilot PK in the area down towards Lowman ....
  19. FXRBILL

FXRBILL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sam,I had hounds for many years and drove a lot of roads.The most grouse and turkeys I saw on a regular basis was in the Council area.Go up No Business Lookout road and bear right towards Cotton Wood Creek.
  20. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    Hi'ya Roy

Thanks Tom, I have one of those too, but that is a tough shot....... well for me anyway. :evil

FXRBILL, thanks man! I use to hunt turkey with my daughter out of Council, good times for sure! The original owner of the Gateway knew prettty good as I kept an RV there year round. Just thinking of someplace closer to the Boise to kill a few hours.