The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. gmsnowball

gmsnowball Black Bear Pass

Oddometer:
    Oklahoma Some Where, just east of spoobooty
    Where are you at:huh
  2. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking at his bike he could be in two States at the same time.
  3. BigTexasOne

BigTexasOne Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    1 acre of heaven, Springtown, TX. NW of Ft. Worth
    Soooo, I've had the Tenere for a couple of weeks now, and put about 1500 miles on it, and...

1st. I'd like to thank Jim (aka Japaco) for farkleing the bike so well, that I can scarcely think of anything to do to it.

2nd. I was planning on keeping the WeeStrom until I was sure the Tenere would satisfy me enough that I wouldn't want to keep the Wee. I haven't even started it since getting the S10 , I haven't ridden it, have no desire to, and will clean it and put it up for sale this weekend.

3rd. WOW what a fantastic bike! Power is fantastic. Japako had done the reflash, installed the clutch override switch, arrow headers, and a Leo Vince can, and other than a surge occasionaly, it runs like a striped ass ape! I do have a little concern about the spokes on the front wheel, although I haven't had time to check them all. I get a little wobble once in a while when cornering aggressively. Is that spokes? Or is there something else I should be looking at?

4th. Good lord, did they underspring the rear of this thing, or what! I weigh 200, and when my wife and I went to the Hill country, even full preload was nowhere near enough. This will have to go to the top of the "to do" list

5th. It sure doesn't feel like it weighs 500 lbs! It's got Micatech bags, and I added a Trax top box, Givi engine guards, and cool custom highway pegs. Madstad bracket with cross bar for GPS mount! Fully loaded and two up, I never once felt anything but total contril, even in the slow, parking lot, u-turn type stuff, and even the dirt roads don't seem threatening.

In conclusion, if you don't have a Super Tenere yet, you don't know what you're missing................
  4. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doubt it is the spokes. The wheels are plenty rigid for hard cornering, especially on the double-flanged front. (I think most of the spoke breakage issues have been at the single-flanged rear.)

If you're undersprung and haven't adjusted the clickers, you're probably woefully under-damped as well. If you're loading up things like your top box, that doesn't help either. This would be my first guess at why the bike has a wobble. I'd do a careful suspension setup and go from there.

- Mark
  5. sunquest

sunquest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got back from Panama on my VFR 2-up and purchased a Tenere on my return and looking for advice on cases knowing the question opens the door for opinion. 45L looks, I think to big as in to wide 35L a good compromise kind of looking at the
    TraX 37-liter

Factory cases Look to small and delicate, a deeper case would lower the center of gravity. the 37 can be switched for 45 if needed. On my travel I noticed a fellow rider on a Tenere and asked the question in the last 2 month have you found anything you needed and dont have with you he replied" no dont think so " my answer " then I think you brought to much ":wink: TKS for any links or OP's D.C.
  6. Whorepedo

Whorepedo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there any "over the speedo" gps mounts other than the Touratech & Madstad?

I saw the SW Motech mount but they dont list my gps and I havent heard back from my inquiry to them.

I like the location but I dont really care about the movable windscreen so the $150-ish price tag is steep.
  7. frontiercat

frontiercat Space Staion #5

Oddometer:
    A fellow rider on the Super Ten pic page built one out of flat steel or aluminum plates against the side of the windscreen uprights. Looked very nice and factory.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21123855&postcount=4505
  8. Blue Mule

Blue Mule Persistent Slacker and Cyberdos groupy.

Oddometer:
    I got these, I really like them and am planning on picking up a set of the soft bags as well for shorter , more local rides, where locking and size wont matter. Looks wasn't a concern for Me, though i don't think they are completely fugly! :deal

http://www.happy-trail.com/Departments/bFind-Your-Bikeb/Yamaha/XT1200Z-Tenere.aspx

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. fredz43

fredz43 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Illinois (right by that road with a curve in it)
    I have the Trax 37 and 45 combo and like that for longer trips when I tend to pack too much. I normally use the 37 on both sides for everyday rides. Also with their quick release racks, I can take the racks off in a minute if I won't be using any bags. 100% satisfied with this setup for over 20,000 miles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a friend's S10 with 37 L Trax on both sides.

[​IMG]
  10. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    If you live in a place where lane-splitting is legal check into the Holans. They hold a lot but fit very tight to the bike with a narrow profile.
  11. fredz43

fredz43 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Illinois (right by that road with a curve in it)
    The Holans are very good looking, well made bags also. As far as lane splitting, the ends of the OEM bars are about 38 inches wide, so if they will fit, most bags will fit. Here is a front view of the 37/47 Trax combo from the front, as the angle of the rear shot that I posted makes them look wider than they are.

[​IMG]
  12. ballheadknuckle

ballheadknuckle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Off-the-road has a plain GPS mounting bar: http://www.off-the-road.de/en/XT-1200-Z/Bodywork/GPS-mounting-bracket-XT-1200-Z.html
  13. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I made mine for nothing and it's not hard if you can cut plastic and make 2 bends in it.

Flat piece of plastic, bent into a Z-shape. The forward downflange fits between the instrument pod and the mount. The pod is mounted with (I think) 3 sheetmetal-type screws so the downflange needs to have holes for the mounts and the electrical connector.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Muffintop Industries is a small shop in South Dakota with great prices and the boxes are brick outhouse tough. You can get as small or big as you want if you don't like his stock offerings.
    http://muffintopindustries.com/

I mounted mine on SW-Motech detacheable racks with fender washers and fiber lock nuts.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Whorepedo

Oddometer:
  16. Whorepedo

Oddometer:
    I've got a Touratech cradle and a 478 so I really need that bar to mount it to.
  17. BigTexasOne

BigTexasOne Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    1 acre of heaven, Springtown, TX. NW of Ft. Worth
    here's a picture of the rear end of mine. These are different sized Micatech bags, and a Trax top box. The panniers are sized so that the bike is equal width out from each side. The left pannier is 8.5" wide, the right pannier is 10.5" wide, and all mounted up, the bike is just under 40" wide.

btw, The Micatechs are very well built, and clearly a heavier grade of aluminum than the Trax bags I have on my WeeStrom. That having been said, I love the Trax bags. I'm still getting used to the Micatechs, but so far, I'm favorably impressed....
    [​IMG]
  18. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went the KLR approach. Two pieces of angle with the rod welded betweeen them.
    [​IMG]
  19. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to hear from yet another satisfied rider... but 'under sprung' after adding 200lb self and wife. Haha! Tell me you're kidding. :p

Sent from my SC-03E using Tapatalk 2
  20. Whorepedo

Oddometer:
    I picked up an MSR mount on the cheap that basically sits in the same place. I really want to put it up over the gages, though. This'll do for the time being.