Yamaha TDM Riders

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BuellDualSport, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do so, they pretty much go everywhere. Did you replace the rear shock? I'm not good on abbreviations.
    Have a ball.:freaky
  2. scout18

scout18 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I replaced the Regulator/Rectifier. Here's my bike
    [​IMG]Uploaded with ImageShack.com
  3. AdvRich

AdvRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on your TDM! You've got some great country there to explore with it.

FWIW, you may have a '93 as they came with the silver painted motor and frame, and chrome bars your bike has.

Enjoy,
    Rich
  4. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    Nice. Excuse my ignorance... not the shiniest spanner in the box.:rofl
  5. ANutt

ANutt Old Timer

Oddometer:
    How do these fit large folks (6'3")?
  6. clocklaw

clocklaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's interesting that you post this now....my bike quit charging Sunday night (in the middle of dark nowhere) is there a RR "upgrade" for it? Also, I was thinking about replacing the stator too but it my have been discontinued.
  7. Muddler

Muddler Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm same height and my 900 fits nicely. I have handlebar risers. A little more leg room would be nice, but that's me coming off a trail bike
  8. shadowjack

shadowjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good question:
    I'm 6'5", varying between 255 --> 240 lbs, and have a 1996 MkII TDM850.

Mine is fitted with 30mm bar-risers, a set of slightly wider Renthal bars, and I use an Airhawk with a sheepskin cover on a seat that was re-upholstered with a 30mm raise. To cure buffeting issues with the screen, I cut the top 25mm off.
    Fitted out in this manner, I have toured the country on several trips and completed two TT2000's (http://www.tt2000.org) in a total of 80,000 kms of ownership (50,000 miles for you imperials). I find it as comfortable as a very comfortable thing, and as it is equipped with an Over Racing Project stainless carbon-fibre 2-2 exhaust system, exceedingly satisfying in the aural sense.

If you take a stroll over to www.carpe-tdm.net, you'll find that a typical profile of a TDM'er is that of tall and/or large cake-eaters. I am not untypical.
  9. EpHu

EpHu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    scout18, too small picture! :rofl
  10. Jumaji

Jumaji Jumaji

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys, thought I would put up a post about my TDM experiences. Bought my '92 850 about 10 years ago, it's just done 114000klm's. Has gone to Phillip Island for the Moto GP almost every year from the Gold Coast since then via every road but the main Highways.[ approx 5000k's round trip] Numerous other trips as well. The first breakdown was after I had just bought it when the voltage reg died and cooked the battery and CDI unit. battery was cheap, CDI was not available in Australia at that time and was an $800 item. had mine repaired by an EFI expert which worked perfectly until I spotted one on Ebay for $2oo still in its pack. Bargain! Fitting an electric R1 fuel pump stopped me worrying about picking up reserve while on the road and also made starting after a period of time standing a nonissue. Best thing I ever did! Fitted a set of piston rings at 100000 klm's which totally stopped it using oil. Other than that the bike has not missed a beat until this years trip. On the way back from the island the gearbox sprocket came loose, loosing all its threads and allowing the sprocket to come off. Luckily at about 50 kph and outside a small workshop in Ballarat who kindly welded the nut on which got me home. I then pulled the motor out to give it a real birthday. The internals were in excellent shape. The threads on the gearbox shaft cleaned up beautifully [ after I had carefully ground the weld off]. All the inlet valves were absolutely worn out . The local Yamaha dealer had all the parts available in Australia [including the timing chain] except for one valve which is coming from Japan which apparently will be here in a couple of weeks. I am pleasantly surprised at the price of the parts as well, much cheaper than I thought. Really looking forward to getting it back on the road as I absolutely love riding it. In all the years going to Phillip Island I have never seen another one down there. Quite an exclusive club!
    Cheers and Beers ........ Jim.
  11. RealOldDualSportGuy

RealOldDualSportGuy "Round up the usual suspects"

Oddometer:
    Anyone know the current status of the 2nd group buy?

Regards

:norton
  12. clocklaw

clocklaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have not heard anything from anyone about the crash bars....seems like 10 orders may be harder to put together than expected.
  13. RealOldDualSportGuy

Oddometer:
    Well, to get things moving, we will commit to buying 2 sets.

Anyone else?

Regards

14. RealOldDualSportGuy

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know of the SW Motec Center Stand for the 96 - 01 Bikes will retro fit to the 92 - 93 Bikes?

Thanks

15. JBtourer

JBtourer Long timer

Oddometer:

You heard from me mate.

I spoke to Rentech lady and she said that she was waiting for people to commit.

If it is confirmed that we have the numbers I will check back with her and if needed will transfer the cash.

cheers

JBtourer
  16. scout18

scout18 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hiya Clocklaw, from what I gather it's usually the RR that goes out. I found very comprehensive trouble shooting guide on the Carpe TDM site that takes you through it step by step. The upgrade is to get an RR that has 4 times the surface area and actually has fins to keep it cool. The one I used was from an fz600. Most any modern RR with 3 stator imputs and a hot and ground out will will work. I had to do the same thing on my 92 VFR. It had 0 fins and was out of the airflow. I used one from a CBR1000 or an R1 on it. I can't recall exactly. Sorry for the giant picture folks My first remotely hosted pic. I'm not sure how to fix it as it's just a cell phone pic. I guess I could make it 640 by 480 or some thing. BTW my title has the bike as a 93 first sold in 94 but the sticker on the bike says built in 91.
  17. luchka83

luchka83 n00b

Oddometer:
    TDM 900 `05 bought just few weeks.before...here it is...
    [​IMG]

Sent from my ZTE V987 using Tapatalk 4
  18. brooks

brooks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an extra Corbin saddle for a 92-93 TDM. Is there a flea market for this group or do we have to post it oin the parts?
  19. eldomike

eldomike Who Cares Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been wanting to try out one of these for a while....local good guy ADVer "BAN" had it for sale so I grabbed it up...needs some work but overall a nice ride....not so nice that I'll be afraid to ride it and I won't worry to much about keeping it clean:D ....even came with some BMW bags that have been converted to use on the bike...here is a link for more pics...

http://s106.photobucket.com/user/eldomike/library/1992 Yamaha TDM 850?sort=3&page=1

[​IMG]
  20. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    Love it. TDM's never seem to get to the end of their journey, they just keep rollin.