Sidi Adventure Rain Boot

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Snowbound, May 12, 2011.

1. srensen

srensen n00b

Oddometer:
  2. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have to give a thumbs down to these boots in hopes of helping others from making the same mistake I did in purchasing these.
    I purchased my pair from RevZilla back in September and had the chance to test them out in the rain for the first time this past Friday.
    I rode from Philadelphia, PA to Sloatsburg, NY and back again.
    Both of my feet were soaked.
    I was wearing waterproof gear (jacket and pants) and had no water coming in from the top of the boots.
    It was only the toes and bottom of both feet that were wet. The rest of my socks from the ankles up were dry.
    Granted I don't see Gore Tex listed anywhere on these, but I was told they were waterproof.
    That's the main reason why I purchased them.
    In my opinion these boots are not worth the price I paid.
  3. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    The "Rain" version of these boots are not waterproof. Waterproof isn't used anywhere in the description where it is used in the description of the Gore-Tex™ version.

A lot of inmates got upset with me for harping on this in the big Sidi Adventure boot thread.
  4. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Age old fact of "you get what you pay for". I'm not saying that the Adventure GoreTex are priced right or anything, just that by trying to save a little bit you get a vastly inferior product.

If my Adventure GoreTex leak, I'll send them back under the "Guaranteed to keep you dry ..." warranty.

But so far, if they would leak, water would come out, not in ... during the last trip they were slightly warm. (120F in Death Valley anyone? :lol3)
  5. Snowbound

Snowbound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saved $200 by getting the regular Adventure Rain boots .
    I am happy with what I got . I wouldn't refer to them as vastly inferior . I feel like I am getting my dollars worth .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  6. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    The difference today is just $100, if you order from overseas it's even less.
  7. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    FWIW, I "waterproofed" my Combat Touring Boots by seam sealing the threads with several applications of mink oil and then with tent seam sealer.
    I can now stand in water and not get wet.

8. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    When I was at RevZilla buying these boots, I was told they are waterproof.
    Either the salesperson lied, or does not know his products.
    And it's ridiculous that Sidi would make the same boot two different ways and name it the same.
    My boots simply say Sidi Adventure.
    There is no other name or indicator on my boots.
  9. Longboardr

Longboardr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The squeak goes away after you ride in the dirt and muck for a while, but then they're not so pretty anymore either :D

I've got the Gore-Tex version, 100% waterproof standing in a creek.
  10. Bazgab

Bazgab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like Cug said, there is only a $100 difference between the models now. Another (better) option, order from Germany and save close to $100 off of the regular Adventure and get the superior Gore-Tex version. Depends on exchange rate at the time though, but I got mine for just over $300 shipped.
  11. Snowbound

Snowbound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doesn't make a difference to me at this point . I have a lot of hard miles (both walking and riding) .
    How is the return policy if you buy them overseas? I just returned a pair of SRS Crossfire 2 boots to Revzilla with relative little cost or trouble .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  12. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:

The salesperson didn't know their product. MotoNation, who at the time of the thread I mentioned earlier was the sole importer of these boots, was pretty clear about the fact that the boots weren't waterproof and explained why it was so expensive to import the GoreTex™ version of the Adventure.

What's funny is inmates were arguing with him claiming that they were waterproof and they just didn't want to say it for "legal" reasons. :lol3
  13. atravlr

atravlr www.atasecuretravel.com

Oddometer:
    I have the SIDI Discovery Rain Boot. I am not naïve enough to believe any boot is completely waterproof no matter who or what claim is made. I myself like the other knowing inmate, properly prep my boots with mink oil and seam sealer. I have yet to make the test in standing in the creek, how ever in a 4 hour ride in a heavy downpour my feet were dry. If I was unlucky enough (or dumb enough in my case) to ride longer in the pouring rain I would say I deserve to have wet feet. Overall I have no complaints about my Sidi's. They have kept my feet dry when I needed them to be.
    :clap
  14. whotmonster

whotmonster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All the noise goes away if you just mink oil the boots...lasts at least 18 months...then do it again

15. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I'm assuming the mink oil goes all over the boot, including the seams?
    Then the seams are followed up with seam sealer after?
  16. whotmonster

whotmonster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mink oil all over, BUT, I did not seam seal. I think if you believe you need to seam seal, you might want to do that first and then mink oil...all leather and make sure you get underneath the plastic. Then you can sneak up on a ninja:rofl

17. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Well according to what I have read, the boots aren't even leather, they are Lorica?
  18. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm happy with my Goretex boots. Totally waterproof, I do need to oil them tho, they're not exactly quiet right now...
  19. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    On the "Rain" version, you only need to mink oil the leather. Mink oil doesn't do anything for the Lorica.
  20. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    So which part of the boot is leather and which part is lorica?