The IT465 and IT490 thread

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by dawid, Mar 10, 2008.

1. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try Speed and Sport for OEM plastic. 'Taint cheap but it fits. Avoid Maier plastic,thin and brittle.
  2. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That makes sense - I used to ride my IT425G on the road to get from home to all the good riding spots. Even lost my licence for speeding on it! It didn't have the 425 sticker so I told the cop it was a 250 otherwise I'd have been in more trouble. Lucky for me he'd never seen one before cos they were pretty rare and he just got me for speeding.
  3. JR Greenhorn

JR Greenhorn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OEM plastic is usually injection molded, while most aftermarket plastic (DC, Maier, etc.) is vacuum-formed. There are limitations on how tight of radii and contours that can be formed with the vacuum-forming process. Aftermarket plastic companies couldn't sell enough of any one P/N to pay off injection molding tooling (especially for older/classic bikes), but they can do it with vacuum forming tooling.

Bottom line, if you want 100% stock, you're going to have to track down NOS or good used parts an pay for it. DC and Maier offer a stand-in that's easily available at a reasonable price.
  4. MORT666

MORT666 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a Maico my self back in the 70's what a rocket ship, 700cc:D where imported to the UK in about 2008.:norton
  5. Earthmovin490s

Earthmovin490s Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maicos are definitely great bikes. I absolutely love my '81 490. I know its an IT site, but ya gotta give credit where credit is due. I love my '83 IT490 but having the '81 Maico gives me the best of both classic 80s offroad world. :lol3:1drink
  6. FJ_Kevin

FJ_Kevin Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I like the DC plastic side panels, especially for a race bike. You can get them to fit better by adding a bracket and/or by reshaping a bit with a heat gun. They have stood up well on my bike and I would buy them again. Also, I was careful to add rubber backing where need to keep the pipe from burning through the plastic. I can also say that the yellow back grounds I got from DC have held their grip and have not peeled off.

The rear DC plastics fender is acceptable to me. Front fender is still availble new from Yamaha and cheap in US. DC customer service is excellent.

Here is a photo link showing my IT490 using DC side panels and clark plastic tank (also very good).
    https://kgfphotos.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Yamaha-IT490/17915914_Hktfn3#!i=1517328571&k=FnqM5dT

[​IMG]

Good luck!
    Kevin
  7. Earthmovin490s

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kevin. I think I'm going to go ahead and buy a set of DC plastics for my 490. I will definitely take your tips on shaping the molds and preparations for exhaust heat. Ive been wrestling with spending the money on DC plastics, but either way I look at it, its still cheaper than OEM! Only question I have is, is it truly IT blue of just close?
  8. Mr. Carts

Mr. Carts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am looking to get some wide pegs.
    Anyone know which ones will work on my IT465.
  9. Earthmovin490s

Oddometer:
    No better place than here for this question... I'm looking to replace my carb with a PWK. My question is in the size. I see most have a 38mm, yet some have 39 & 40mm. Personally, I think the 39s & 40s would be too large. Any body have or purchase a PWK for their IT490 or know from experience which is best suited? I only have a DG pipe and silencer with a stock bore. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help here on my favorite site.
    P.S.: anybody know of any online links or magazine months for an '83 or '84 IT490 test articles
  10. Mr. Carts

Oddometer:
  11. ctune80

ctune80 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice photos! Great build sequence.

Where did you get that LOP jersey?
  12. mudmantra

mudmantra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think a 38 PWK airstriker would be the way to go. I haven't found the exact jetting that works with the IT490 OR YZ490. I did hear of a PWK38AS jetted on a YZ465. It sounded like the throttle response was instant. If that's true, you have to be paying attention every time you touch the throttle. :eek1 Might be safer with the heaver IT490 crankshaft.
  13. Earthmovin490s

Oddometer:
    I really appreciate the help Mudmantra. I was talking to a guy that put a 39mm PWK on and seems he can't get it jetted correctly either. Said it burps and lags off the bottom, but I think that's in part to the size & jetting combination. I've been looking at the 38 airstryker too. Looks like it would be a good fit. Here in PA, we don't have many open firetower roads and wide open spaces like I did in Texas and what we do have, the damn PA game commission takes joy in posting everything. Needless to say, its all tight, twisty trails and I would be more than willing to sacrafice top end to ensure the crisp, responsive bottom end.
  14. Earthmovin490s

Oddometer:
    Hats off to you Mr. Carts. Those links to the '83 and '84 IT tests were great! I went and got some glossy photo paper for printing and framing a set for the man cave and and a set for the garage. Really cool stepping back in time and reading the articles. Thanks again
  15. mudmantra

mudmantra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally found someone with PWK38AS jetting used on a IT490. MJ. 178, SJ. 40, Needle. CEG, Clip position #4. throttle cutaway UNKNOWN. But I'll guess it's a 7.0 . Looks real close to the standard jetting. Main jet is a little richer, Slow jet a lot leaner, Needle a little leaner. The standard PWK38AS jetting I found was, MJ. 170, SJ. 55, Needle DDJ, throttle CA. 7.0 . It looks to me that the standard Air striker is a little rich, but I don't think it would take much to dial it in. The throttle cable to carburetor guide is a little different, but that could be dealt with too. :1drink
  16. dynodave

dynodave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This thread kicks ass!!!
    I love IT's but am IT-less...and I agree with Earthmovin490s...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Mr. Carts

Oddometer:
    My It465 was weeping around the head so I ordered up a couple of head gaskets.

I pulled the head yesterday to put a new head gasket in and I find that it has a 1.0mm piston in it making it a 487cc aka a 490.

I had purchased two head gaskets so I could have an extra on the shelf.

I put both in in to drop the compression a little bit.

[​IMG]
  18. Earthmovin490s

Oddometer:
    Quite some time has passed since anyone has posted. Nobody has anything new to share? Well, ill throw something out there. About 2 months ago a buddy of mine was in. with his son, admiring my '83 490. His son kept asking where he could find one. Being that he's only 14, and the only experience he has is on a 90cc chinese knock-off, I quickly suggested an older IT175, or if really lucky an '85-'86 IT200. Recently, an '86 KDX200 came up for sale. My buddy called me to go look at it with him. I was impressed when we got there. All stock, all original and 2nd owner. He was asking 700 for it, so all in all, not a bad deal. Afterwards, I told them not to jump on anything and make sure that its what he wants and not to be in a hurry. The next day he asked if I could haul it home for them, so I did. Two days later, a pristine 85 IT200, for $1100 popped up! I told them and he said oh well. Needless to say, I now have an IT200 in my garage! Haha
  19. Dirt wolf

Dirt wolf I'm your huckleberry

Oddometer:
    My first ride was a IT 175. I had a blast on that bike. My buddy had a 200. Good times. I feel like uncle Rico... I wish I could go back.
  20. dhallilama

dhallilama Long timer

Oddometer:
    i hate this thread.

why? because i had a YZ490 and really, really liked it. eric gorr head mod and porting. it could damn near idle up any hill and create a rain storm of rocks at anything above idle. oh, and i sold the bike during a divorce.

now i have an IT250. it's overall pretty well balanced for a vintage dirtbike. but... it's no 490. there's no need to respect the throttle on the 250. there's no fear from those behind you that they could be pelted with softball sized rocks and logs at any moment. and it's not idling up anything more than an anthill.

:D