Radioman Rides the World.......

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Radioman, May 19, 2011.

1. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    Me too, but I have to wait a day or two for a particular card to be in stock.
  2. Valleyrider

Valleyrider I Survived The '60s

Oddometer:
    First thing, after I get off the computer, card will be on the counter for mail tomorrow...
  3. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    We stayed at a great place in El Calafate. My style of travel has changed with the time I have spent with my new friends from New Zealand. :deal But it is great for me and still within my personal budget. and it is great to be able to splurge a bit at this stage of the ride!!

[​IMG]

Ken and I shared one of the cabanas and it had a living room, kitchen, and two separate rooms. They brought breakfast to our room!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We headed south again on Ruta 40 to Esparanza (gas stop) as the one on the "cut off" road does not have fuel and there is no fuel in the National park.

[​IMG]

In Esparanza, we got gas and went across the street for a coffee, and several tour buses where there. Diana was holding court with some of the interested passengers! They were amazed that Dick and Diana and Ken and Shirley were riding Alaska to Ushuaia on bike!! :clap :clap (while all of them were stuck on a tour bus!) Great going you guys! :clap

We turn off the Ruta 40 and head to the border crossing into Chile and Torres Del Paine park.

[​IMG]

First check out of Argentina

[​IMG]

A bus had arrived just ahead of us, so the immigration guys flagged us over to an outside window, stamped our passports and directed us to Aduana. Took just 15 minutes and we were back on the bikes riding down the gravel road to Chilean border crossing and Aduana.

[​IMG]

Inside it was busy with bus travelers, but all well marked Chile Entrance and Exit windows, and same for customs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had a good chuckle at the bathroom signs. Google translate?

[​IMG]

Heading northwest into the park. Had extra fuel with us that I needed as fuel was down in Puerto Natales but that is 100 Km away, and we did not want to have to come down and back!

[​IMG]

More Guanaco along the road. They can spit really far!

[​IMG]

Just a small glimpse of the mountains as we ride into the park.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We ride into the Hotel Torres which is the prime spot for seeing the huge mountains and rocks that are the main attraction. It was real cloudy and we decided to splurge instead of camp. After we unloaded the bikes, it started to rain!!

Note: staying within the park at any hostel or Hotel is really expensive like it is in the US national parks. They also have fancy food, that was expense, but we enjoyed it!!

[​IMG]

BBQ lamb

[​IMG]

We parked our bikes right next to the building.

[​IMG]

Hoping for a little break in the weather so we can see the mountains tomorrow as we ride through the park.
  4. ClayR

ClayR Animal

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Almost as much as I am digging your report!
  5. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Christel from Terra Luna took some photos of us while we stayed in Puerto Guadal!! She was great and we had fun staying there!! Thanks Christel :clap

Packed up to leave. Team KIWI.

[​IMG]

As we took photos near the front office in front of there funny sign..... it was worthy of a Jump

[​IMG]

And Christel encouraged Dick and Diana to do the "radioman" jump :evil :clap :clap

[​IMG]

and then riding up the driveway!! Good memories!
  6. Radioman

Oddometer:
    The rain continued in the evening and it was good to look out from a warm dry room! Not too much for camping in the rain.

Next morning the clouds stayed low. We took our time getting ready to leave, and hoped for clearing

[​IMG]

They were rounding up the horses in the morning so that the tourists would be ready for horseback riding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we were getting ready to head out, some hikers walked by and we said hello. The guy looks at me.... Say we know you. We met at the Hotel pool in Tupiza, Bolivia! It was Ellen and her husband (forgot his name) from Belgum!! They had just hiked up the "W" trek to see the mountain with two french women who turned out to be doctors, and had helped a man who had broken his ankle while hiking in the mountains!! The saved him lots of pain and set his ankle before rescuers arrived to carry him out!!

They had fun on the bikes...

[​IMG]

Ken answering questions about his bike and trip!!

[​IMG]

Our french Doctors (Clare and Adaile) who are heros for spending there hike helping the injured hiker!

[​IMG]

And we had fun sharing our bikes!!

[​IMG]

We rolled out of this part of the part but did not ever get a good view of the mountains above :cry

[​IMG]

Bit of washboard through the park. All the roads here are gravel.

[​IMG]

We took a bit of a stop and caught a glimpse of these spectacular mountains. Just a tease, as it never cleared....... But I will be back in a month or so and hope to see it with blue sky!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We all wanted to get a photo of the Majestic scene...

[​IMG]

We headed south as the weather was just not the best to see the park or camp. Threading our way through Guanaco, Cows, and other animals in the park

[​IMG]

After 40 miles of gravel we were out of the park and back on tarmac.

[​IMG]

We were riding through the valley with snow covered peaks on our right side!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to check out my rear rim, as Ken thought it had a wobble, but was just the dust and gravel on the road...

[​IMG]

Ken needed to air up a low tire ..... Tried at the service station, but then ended up doing it on the side of the road!

[​IMG]

The view from our deck. It was a spectacular view!! Ken and I enjoyed a few hours watching this !

[​IMG]

Took a little walk through town

[​IMG]

and look who I run into!! Jordan and Anne who I last saw in Lima!! They rode to Ushuaia on there KLR and were about to catch the Navimag to Puerto Montt !! :wave

[​IMG]

and a look out on the Hot tub at the Hotel.

[​IMG]

Bikes all covered up for the night!

[​IMG]

We headed out to another great dinner. Diana enjoying a Pisco Sour! We laughed very hard before dinner arrived! :deal

[​IMG]

Then the fantastic steaks arrived!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course Diana takes cuisine shots like I do!

[​IMG]

Another great day as we ride south. We are now less that 750 Km to Ushuaia which will be a two day ride. It is amazing to think that I started 17 months ago headed south, and am just about to reach this point. :happay
  7. k7tbt

k7tbt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally caught up with you on your adventure and would like to express my gratitude for sharing it. Wife not the adventurer type so will probably never have the opportunity to do it myself. Enjoy the rest of your adventure and I will be following along and hope to meet you in person someday when you get back to the great Northwet.
  8. coolsen

coolsen Enjoying the Ride

Oddometer:

Done today . . . . . thank you for sharing this opportunity with the Adventure Riding community. :norton

9. Radioman

Oddometer:
    It seems like a very simple thing, but I know that by getting a bunch of cards from all over the world, that it can encourage all of them!!

Thanks for taking the efforts to join in!! That means a great deal.
  10. Redhed

Redhed Lost on the Island

Oddometer:
    I met Alain this week in Cali. He was very helpful in getting us squared away with tires and working with the folks at Asturias in Cali. I was able to pass on to him my slightly used (Vancouver to Colombia) Heideneau Scout. A great guy and very knowledgeable of Colombian and Ecuador routes. He hangs out at Asturias shop in Cali, and will help riders out.:clap
  11. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Hola iDave So glad you have asked. As a journey I have had many thoughts about what to do next and when. Lots of factors in trying to see clearly what my next adventures will be wether on the road or deciding to get back to a working life.

But the last few weeks have given me a bit of clarity about continuing the journey a bit longer. Looks like I will spend another 1-2 months in South America before heading to New Zealand early in the new year. After that ? too many thoughts and logistics to really have it all Planned out!

Someone asked a bit earlier the total cost of the trip so far..... It is a bit complicated to answer directly as i was back in the states before and after India and I had some unexpected expenses to do with my car, my houses and a few other things. So I have yet to break all this out and put actual numbers to them. But they all impact the length and scope of my ride.

Here is the swirling thoughts in a nut shell. I try to live my life in a reasonable and focused way. Faith, Hope and courage helping to guide me. Life is truly short, but I have to be able to finish my journey on the road, and also be able to transition to some type of meaningful paid work in the future, as I do not have enough money to "retire".

That said, I know that part of me is getting ready to want to get on with life off the road, and part of me knows that I have a unique opportunity and freedom to continue on this travel. So 2013 will see continued ride reports for somewhere on the globe, and at some point a new chapter will emerge from this ride!

Will be reaching a huge milestone in the days ahead........ Stay tuned!!
  12. KYMike

KYMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's good to know. I've been wondering what I'm supposed to do once this thread comes to an end.

13. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  14. davidbrundage

davidbrundage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ditto!
  15. Radioman

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap :clap Alain is a great guy!! So glad I met him on the road!!
  16. KryzHatch

KryzHatch Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just send mine
    [​IMG]
  17. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    I just got back from the zoo. I had to wait a few days for these to come in, but they finally got here today.

The pic is of the new, as yet unnamed, baby elephant here in Portland, and the card in the mailbox right now.

[​IMG]
  18. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ken and everyone who is taking the time and effort to send a card. Little Reese had another surgery and then 3rd chemo treatment. My friend was grateful for having these sent (I sent her photos you guys are posting). She knows that it will bring smiles!! Thanks!! :deal
  19. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Nice sunrise over Puerto Natales.

[​IMG]

The glow on the mountains was awesome!

[​IMG]

Ken and I spent the afternoon the day before on the rooftop deck enjoying the views!

[​IMG]

More Postcards sent out for little Reese. :cry :cry Hope in some small way it will help brighten their days!

[​IMG]

We stayed here, and headed off in the morning to Cerro Sombero ...... Tierra Del Fuego

[​IMG]

The wind was blowing .... hard to capture a good photo of how much wind there is but it is a great deal with gusts....

[​IMG]

Stopped for a nice Coffee along the way. Sign post tells us how far away we are.

[​IMG]

Did I say it was windy?

[​IMG]

Yes but I am really south in South America seems a bit unreal. Still worth a windy jump!

[​IMG]

We arrive at the northern ferry crossing the narrows of Magellan onto Tierra Del Fuego

[​IMG]

At the ferry "dock" we meet up with Robbie from NY. He has been riding as long as I have on a 1975 Honda CB500. :huh :clap :clap :wave After introductions and such, he sees a "radiomanridestheworld" sticker on my bike and says; "your Radioman".... "Your famous" :lol3

[​IMG]

The ferry arrives:

[​IMG]

We ride on and off we go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look where I am!

[​IMG]

The excitement is building. Just 445 KM to Ushuaia.

[​IMG]
  20. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer: