2013 F800GS and F700GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by The Jinx, Jul 2, 2012.

1. petzi-baer

petzi-baer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wonder if they changed the fork a lot.

aside from the conventional turn signal switch.

Nontheless, if everything works out I will be picking up my used 2010 tomorrow.

petzi-baer
  2. petzi-baer

petzi-baer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did they always that that seat?
    • Rally seat, black/grey:
    • 860 mm / 1870 mm
    • Seated position considerably higher and seat much harder for off-roading.
    • Slimline silhouette helps offroad riders reach the ground with their feet.

petzi-baer
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Notice how the regulator/rectifier location has been changed.. now we need to find out if it's the same type of R/R that runs the stator at 100% capacity all the time.
  4. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:
    On the 650/700 being able to get ESA and ASC is new (er at least since '11). /qq on nothing on the new boxer tho.
  5. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, but from the press release, it looks as though they are offering ESA on the F800 as well. Might be bringing in updated suspension as well. Anyway, I am happy with mine, the upgrades are too meh for me to think of them. So much for the theory that the Tiger 800XC forcing BMW to do a decent round of upgrades this time.
  6. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    They gave the 650, er the 700 four more hp at a higher rpm.
    They haven't yet mentioned the torque output or the rpm it comes at.
    Or if it still runs on regular.
    The old motor is a diesel, pulls off the bottom, they shouldn't mess with it.
    Every modern motor out has a weak low end to mid range, with the F650 being a rare exception.
    I think they look better, or newer. Evolution ya know...

Oh... Late catch. Twin discs on the 700! There goes the weight advantage...

BMW, BUILD IT HEAVIER WOULD YOU? (SARCASM)
  7. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    I think that is the way the R/R is mounted on the 800R also.............

No more bobble-head ft. brake reservoir...
  8. Tonopah

Tonopah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The ESA on these bikes provide dampening settings but not preload adjustment.
    The F700GS does indeed require premium fuel. Looks like the gearing has been changed too (lower).
  9. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so the 650 is now the 700. Next year it will be the 750 and then perhaps the year after that it will be the 800 to match the engine displacement. At that point they'll have to probably call the 800 the 850 or something.

way to fix your mistakes with a mistake BMW!!!!!! :rofl
  10. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes it is, however, in having read through this forum I'd be bold enough to say that quite a lot of the inmates don't want MORE electronics.

Personally, having dealt with electronic gremlins in the original model I'd be in no hurry to sign up for one with even more CANBUS potential failures.

It's becoming more and more a road bike for cafe tourers.

The fact that it requires premium fuel is a give away as to where they intend it to be used.

No more than half a tank away from civilization.
  11. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
  12. nytrashman

nytrashman old and in the way

Oddometer:
    Let's see if I got this right, BMW takes a bike with a 800cc motor and calls it the F650 . Now they take the same 800cc motor and call the new bike a F700. Glad to see there marketing dept has a handle on this whole Parallel twin thing.
  13. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some worthy changes for the F700. Probably more HP by advancing the ignition curve. That will cause a need for premium gas.

Other than the optional suspension, some body work changes and more electronics to fail, not much new here.

As far as converting the 800 to 900cc, the cylinders are plated, so a rebore requires them to be replated. Those pistons may not have the same piston pin location, they were meant for a crank with a different crank offset which might have required different connecting rods. If you changed the crank you would have to change the ignition mapping, requiring a different ECU.

Since they have closed the HP and Torque gap, it just convinced me that the 900 is coming. It just will be in 2014 instead of 2013. I will just wait for BMW to install it.
  14. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely. Replating or NIKASIL are easy I hear.

There'd be some minor issues to work out, no doubt. When the time comes and the old girl needs that kind of work, I suppose it's a case of pricing up a replacement, and sizing up if the replacement will do what the bike it's replacing does within a specific price range.

If not, then reworking the old bike becomes an option.

The release of so many models sharing the same engine platform is a good thing. Lots of repairable write offs at the auctions. I was eyeing an F800GS with a bent front end the other day. I missed the chance to bid on it, and it went for a couple of grand. Everything from the steering head back was good, with only 10,000km on it. I saw an engine out of a low km one go the other day for $1200.

I'll keep my eyes open and see what comes up. What's another bike in pieces when you already have 4 working ones and 2 "works in progress"?
  15. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Am I correct in reading that the ESA only adjusts the rear shock?
  16. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Yes, on the rear only.

Electronic Suspension Adjustment ESA as an ex works option.
    On request (ex works option) and uniquely in this segment of the motorcycle market, the rider can conveniently set the rebound stage damping of the rear spring strut on the F 700 GS and F 800 GS at the press of a button on the handlebar. This Electronic Suspension Adjustment - or ESA for short - allows adjustment of the suspension settings with maximum operational convenience, even during travel. The rider selects a damping variant from among "Comfort", "Normal" and "Sport" and the electronic control system measures the appropriate damping rate based on optimum parameters stored in the data memory. Damper settings can be changed simply at the press of a button while riding, with a small, light stepper motor carrying out the commands. A symbol appears in the cockpit accordingly. The adjustment of the spring mount is made manually by means of an optimised, easily accessible handwheel.
  17. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    I wonder if it has some "intermediate" cam grind closer to the F800 or is it still the F658 cam?
    The same language is in the announcement about detuning to burn lower octane gasoline....
  18. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just looking at that stock seat gives me cramps. It looks like they all need premium gas. I wonder if they can adjust to regular like the 1200 does. The only difference between the "enduro" seems to be it has ABS. I am going to run my 2010 into the ground. I don't see much improvement. Dave
  19. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:

You can look at it several ways but it all boils down to BMW having no respect for their customers.
  20. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    On the BMW web site it does say it can be reprogrammed for regular gas....